The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
    If she's active in the US league, you should quote the rating adjusted from those tournaments. If she's active in FIDE, you should quote her FIDE rating. She hasn't played a FIDE rated game for two years now.
    I don't expect that her rating will drop below 2100 after her first tournament after 2 years of absent :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      You've overlooked Yuanling Yuan, Aman. She has a current FIDE rating of 2220.

Tangentially, I'll add the comment that Yuanling seldom participated in girls only events. Perhaps that is one of the reasons she became the top ranked female in Canada.
      I said there was only one currently active female Canadian who ever had a FIDE rating over 2050.

If Yuanling is not on the FIDE list of currently active female Canadians, then she is currently inactive. What am I missing?

http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml...=1&country=CAN

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
        Since we are all for equality and we want to protect the weak, how about CFC events for people of the two founding nations only? I mean in Canada most English/French people are very weak at chess, especially compared to people of Asian and Eastern European origin. For proof: take a look at the names on the list of WYCC entries from Canada this year. Not a Jones or Dubois in the lot.
        The two **founding** nations?? By any chance are you referring to the Western Europeans who lied, cheated, murdered, raped & pillaged their way across the North American continent?
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          The two **founding** nations?? By any chance are you referring to the Western Europeans who lied, cheated, murdered, raped & pillaged their way across the North American continent?
          Tom is obviously being sarcastic here... Do you need someone to explain the joke to you?

Tangentially, I'll add the comment that Yuanling seldom participated in girls only events. Perhaps that is one of the reasons she became the top ranked female in Canada.
          I think this is what sped up her development as well. She actually had to aim higher in open tournaments to get anywhere whereas if she stayed in women's only sections, I doubt she would ever reach 2200 anywhere.

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post

The issue is whether this plan will in fact end up helping women develop in chess more than the current, failing separate parallel women's system. Playing in the open system will actually speed up their improvement, because they will be spending less time playing in weak women's sections, where numbers of games are against low-rated women, which will contribute little to advancement ( and give them a false sense of confidence in their game ).

Bob A
          Bob, you posted exactly what I was thinking of as well. When girls play women only tournaments their ambition is so limited and most of them are satisfied with just getting first or 2nd in those sections. If they actually played open tournaments, they would have to aim for so much higher. I believe in the idea that to get anywhere in life and/or chess, you have to aim for a slightly higher realistic goal in the short-term and aim for something ambitious in the long-term. If we have girls aiming to just be 2100 long-term to play on the Olympiad team, most of them are going to fade out long before they get to that level.
          Shameless self-promotion on display here
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Let's not forget Vera Menchik. She was very successful when a bomb hit her house in 1944 killing her at age 38. Euwe lost to her twice.
            And of course, Judit's sister "Susan"
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
              When girls play women only tournaments their ambition is so limited and most of them are satisfied with just getting first or 2nd in those sections. If they actually played open tournaments, they would have to aim for so much higher. I believe in the idea that to get anywhere in life and/or chess, you have to aim for a slightly higher realistic goal in the short-term and aim for something ambitious in the long-term. If we have girls aiming to just be 2100 long-term to play on the Olympiad team, most of them are going to fade out long before they get to that level.
              To cite but one example to support your sentiments, Bindi, the Giblon sisters have won countless Girls Championships yet linger as Class B and C players (1662 and 1462 respectively). There's no doubt in my mind that they would be far stronger players today if they had eschewed the girls tournaments and played instead in the open sections.

Comment

Hi Egis:

Currently happening is the Toronto Women's Championship, sponsored by the GTCL.

Any strong women players from Toronto have boycotted it. Look at the ratings of the only 6 contenders ( couldn't even get an 8-woman round robin, as originally planned ): http://annexchessclub.com/2012/10/2012-toronto-womens/

One has to wonder the purpose of this Tournament, and how it advances the progress of women's chess in Canada.

I am pleased to see those contending for the title, but as an overall system, the separate, parallel women's system seems to have failed women, if not possibly even hurt their advancement over the last half century.

Bob A

Comment

Re: Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

To cite but one example to support your sentiments, Bindi, the Giblon sisters have won countless Girls Championships yet linger as Class B and C players (1662 and 1462 respectively). There's no doubt in my mind that they would be far stronger players today if they had eschewed the girls tournaments and played instead in the open sections.
                  I saw them countless times in Opens in their rating sections :D

Comment

Tom is obviously being sarcastic here...
                    As was I (with a dash of cynicism thrown in). I thought that was pretty obvious, but apparently not to some people.

... Do you need someone to explain the joke to you?
                    ATTENTION: SARCASM ALERT...SARCASM ALERT...SARCASM ALERT

Oh golly!! There was a joke and I missed it? Why don't you explain it to me, Bindi?
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        I saw them countless times in Opens in their rating sections :D
                        Yet the fact remains that more than 1/2 their tournaments are girls only. Look at Yuanling Yuan's chess resume and I think you'll only find one girls tournament after the age of 10 (other than the 2 Olympiads of course).

Comment

Yuanling Yuan - Role Model in the Mould of Judit Polgar

WIM Yuanling Yuan joined the Scarborough Chess Club, and there were a number of masters higher rated. She lost numbers of games in the open swiss tournament on Thursday evenings - in fact, she was probably doing worse at SCC than she was in the many weekend tournaments she was playing in.

Yet, slugging it out in the open section led to her then becoming the SCC Champion in a subsequent year. She was playing good opposition regularly at the club ( and in weekend tournaments ), and she, not surprisingly, improved!! She was not wasting time playing much lower-rated players in women's sections, to win a prize, at the expense of better opposition.

Bob A, long-time SCC Member

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            And of course, Judit's sister "Susan"
                            Susan who? Did she defeat Euwe?
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Susan who? Did she defeat Euwe?
                              no, just Karpov, Korchnoi, Kamsky, Ivanchuk ......

Comment

The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

After almost one-half a century, I think it is time to take the pulse of the issue again. Are we now at the point where this system is no longer necessary, and women can take their place in the open system? Has it served its purpose, and put itself out of a job?
                                Is it in fact now a “ hindrance ” to the chess development of girls/women? A recent ChessBase article noted: “ Why is there just one woman in the top 100 players on the FIDE rating list, and why are just 2.2 percent of the top 1000 players female? ” This is the result of the separate system after over ½ century of experimentation? One has to conclude it is not working, no? Women are not being helped by this system. In fact, one might wonder whether the separate women’s system may be the CAUSE of these dismal stats ?
                                Is there someone out there defending the separate, parallel women's chess system after our at least half century experiment?? Is there someone claiming it has been successful? Is there someone arguing at least that it has been neutral and not harmful? If so, what is the basis of your position?

Bob A, TCN Editor

Comment

Working...
                                X