The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
    The fact that you can post this kind of garbage analysis and so easily dismiss the skills of a past junior player only serves to confirm my
    points on this matter ( "very little benefit to the player and quickly forgotten" ).
    I will pose just one question to you, Duncan. In 2005, Hazel scored 6/6 in the CYCC U14 Girls. Her TPR for that unblemished performance was just 1304 and she gained but 1 rating point, from 2073 to 2074. Do you really think playing with the girls that year furthered Hazel's chess career?

Comment

• Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

One of the wonderful things about chess is that one plays with a wide variety of people from different social groups, regardless of age, gender, ability, race or creed. It is a rich social interaction unusual to find. I enjoy having women at the club.

Women have generally been welcomed into the chess "community." There were the first Toronto Ladies' and Toronto Junior Championships 100 years ago, although women weren't allowed into Hart House. Still today it is uncomfortable for most women to be the only female in a male environment. For one thing, there is the risk of sexual harassment and assault. For most women, it is great to see other women in the room. There is social enjoyment in playing in an all-women event. There's still strong social value in saying, "She's the Best Woman player in the region." They may be extra motivated to enter and try to win a women's championship title. Is it 'What women want?' You have to ask them.

A Spelling Bee is one of the few competitions without gender sections.

In a restricted budget era are women's chess championships a priority to be maintained? But also should masters' chess get any funding? Juniors? Seniors? Or should the priority be to fund services in both official languages, coast to coast? Or to develop chess in poorer regions? Or to provide sets, teachers and organizers to schools? Or all of the money to send reps to FIDE official events? So let everyone fight over the crumbs from the memberships of average male adults. Or develop a fundraising strategy to pay for all these worthwhile programs.

Personally, I'm waiting to play in the first Left-handed Championship.

Comment

• Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        I'm in no way dismissing the skills of a player who is a veritable legend in Canadian chess, Duncan. Hazel is on the very short list for the best female Canadian chess player ever. The fact remains, however, that she peaked at 2201. I'm suggesting to you that she could have been a whole let better had she stayed in the boys/open sections and not reverted to the girls only sections.
        That is just silly. She played in other open tournaments where she did reasonably well. She was the girl's CYCC champion in her age group and that will be remembered. She stopped playing when it came time to go to university. Hopefully she will return to chess when she finishes her studies. She would very quickly return to the form that would allow her to make the women's olympiad team. As I recall she did quite well as an olympiad player. We are talking about a young woman in her early twenties who could be looking at another twenty years of improvement if she doesn't focus on other things instead (not that there is anything wrong with it if she so chooses).

Frankly, playing in girls only sections was a total waste of her time in terms of improving her chess skills.
        CYCC is about demonstrating the skills you have and not so much about improving chess skills. Playing in a Canadian Open or Ontario closed would probably be more useful to someone trying to improve their skills.

Comment

• Re : The Women’s Chess System – Finally Time to Abolish It?

Judit Polgar chimes in:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...erything-chess

Comment

Working...
          X