Toronto Blue Jays!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Blue Jays!!

I don't know if anyone has heard, but the Jays just got WAY better this past week, 12 player trade, melky cabrera signing, John Gibbons manager, etc. etc. It's freaking awesome. I've never been this excited about baseball since 2006.
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!!

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
    I don't know if anyone has heard, but the Jays just got WAY better this past week, 12 player trade, melky cabrera signing, John Gibbons manager, etc. etc. It's freaking awesome. I've never been this excited about baseball since 2006.
    Blue Jays are nice birds :D

©egis

12 player trade - it sounds like all team was fired :D

Though I prefer dinosaurs, i.e., basketball Toronto Raptors.

Comment

Has Buehrle said he'll come?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I lost interest in baseball (and pro sports in general) after the 1994 strike which probably cost the Expos a World Series win. I must admit I did enjoy myself at a Yankees game in New York a year or two ago, where I had to pay the princely sum of $5 for an "obstructed view" seat (behind a foul pole, and impossible to see any plays near the outfield fence).

Comment

Toronto Blue Jays!! Jays acquires Reyes, JJ, Buehrle, Bonifacio, Buck for 7 players!

YES indeed -- for the first time since 1992 and 1993 the Toronto Blue Jays will be a contender! Looks like they are taking on about $165M in additional salary but who cares?

Here is a pic released by the Jays with all the new jerseys for the new acquisitions!

Let's Go Blue Jays :D

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! Jays acquires Reyes, JJ, Buehrle, Bonifacio, Buck for 7 play

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
            YES indeed -- for the first time since 1992 and 1993 the Toronto Blue Jays will be a contender! Looks like they are taking on about $165M in additional salary but who cares?

Here is a pic released by the Jays with all the new jerseys for the new acquisitions!

Let's Go Blue Jays :D
            Strange, Bautista was there last year... or I think he was!
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! Jays acquires Reyes, JJ, Buehrle, Bonifacio, Buck for 7 play

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Strange, Bautista was there last year... or I think he was!
              Right you are Kerry! The picture was to show the new "integrated" line-up!

Thanks to Miami Marlins, Toronto Blue Jays acquired All-Star shortstop Jose Reyes, right-hander Josh Johnson, left-hander Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and infielder/outfielder Emilio Bonifacio. (see attached pic below)

And now ... The Blue Jays completed a two-year, $16 million contract with free-agent outfielder Melky Cabrera (from World Series Champs - San Fran Giants) on Monday.

Attached Files

Comment

Back to my post about the Yankees game - here was the view from my seat (well before the start of the game):

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/gifs/IMG_3486.JPG

Comment

Looks like Rogers is finally starting to spend some real dough on their beloved failing Jays... It's about time considering how much the media super-giant is worth.

Maybe they'll break 90 wins for the first time since their back-to-back World Series victories in 1992 and 1993?
                  No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Yup they definitely are putting money where their mouth is. For a long time, I didn't think they would have the guts to put it all on the table once again (after their mini-disaster in 2006) but it seems like AA has put a winning product on the field and with increased interest in the team (rising tv viewership and 3500+ fans per game in 2012 as compared to 2011) it seems that ownership agreed that this is the right time to make a push.

As of right now, after the Melky signing, I believe they have 10-1 Vegas odds of winning the world series. Compare with before all the major signings at a 100-1 odds, it's clear that there's actually a contending team. Most experts believe the norm would be 85-90 wins with potential for many more. The over/under projection I believe is at 87 wins but I'm not sure if that was before or after the Melky signing. I'd put the Over/Under at 90 but that's just me. But ya, I'm super excited. Right now the only thing that would be even more awesome would be to get another reliable starter. There's a huge standard deviation in how their starters will perform this year with all the possible injuries and transition and comeback candidates. (this includes all 4 main starters)

Also, they just hired John Gibbons. Personally I think he is the right choice for manager although many casual fans will probably disagree.
                    Shameless self-promotion on display here
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

And what would be even more awesome is to bring back the Expos :)
                      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! Not!

This whole thread is off topic. Let's get back to discussing climate change like we are supposed to.

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! Not!

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                          This whole thread is off topic. Let's get back to discussing climate change like we are supposed to.
                          Nope :p :p :p :p :p :p

:D

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays and Climate Change

Hi Zeljko:

Gold Star - my chuckle for the afternoon - good one!!:):D

Bob A

Comment

Yup they definitely are putting money where their mouth is. For a long time, I didn't think they would have the guts to put it all on the table once again (after their mini-disaster in 2006) but it seems like AA has put a winning product on the field and with increased interest in the team (rising tv viewership and 3500+ fans per game in 2012 as compared to 2011) it seems that ownership agreed that this is the right time to make a push.

As of right now, after the Melky signing, I believe they have 10-1 Vegas odds of winning the world series. Compare with before all the major signings at a 100-1 odds, it's clear that there's actually a contending team. Most experts believe the norm would be 85-90 wins with potential for many more. The over/under projection I believe is at 87 wins but I'm not sure if that was before or after the Melky signing. I'd put the Over/Under at 90 but that's just me. But ya, I'm super excited. Right now the only thing that would be even more awesome would be to get another reliable starter. There's a huge standard deviation in how their starters will perform this year with all the possible injuries and transition and comeback candidates. (this includes all 4 main starters)

Also, they just hired John Gibbons. Personally I think he is the right choice for manager although many casual fans will probably disagree.
                              Blue Jays are a team of generations; most young fans might not realize that they were a "big money" team most of the years from 1983 roughly to 1993
                              ( think Yankees now ). They also led baseball in attendance for several years at 4 million, filling the Skydome every game including some cheap seats they don't even sell anymore.

They are almost a sure fire contendor next season. They only need another starter if someone gets hurt and none of the disabled guys help at all. I think the most obvious candidate is Shawn Marcum; he's already indicated interested. Bringing back Villeneuva would fit if the guy was willing to swing back to the middle bullpen and start if someone gets hurt ( word is he's not interested ). They might move a catcher as well to get more pitching. But assuming some form of fiscal restraint they really only need to ensure their middle relief is sufficient for now; they've signed a lot of journeyman guys and I'm not sure who the go to guys will be in middle relief ( might be a weakness ). A great middle guy will allow the manager to restrict his starters to less innings early in the season and possibly prevent injuries.

I think their biggest key to success is how Bautista and Romero rebound,
                              and possible huge upside potential for any one of Rasmus/Lawrie/Arencebia given that there will be more players on base this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X