Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!!

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
    I remember well those days at Exhibition Stadium (a local sportswriter, Dick Beddoes I think, used to call it names like 'Excruciating Stadium') I once attended a night game in early May. By the middle innings my butt was frozen from those chilly aluminum seats!
    I used to get a pair of tickets. One of the guys who writes here had seasons tickets and I used to be able to get tickets for a few times a season. Decent seats between home and third base. For those early seasons games I took my son. When the weather warmed my wife liked to go.

The best seats I've ever sat in were at the Skydome behind the catcher. I could see the balls break after the pitcher threw. It's not an optical illusion, in my opinion.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I could see the balls break after the pitcher threw. It's not an optical illusion, in my opinion.

In cricket you have fast bowlers (fast), spin bowlers (slow) and seam bowlers (medium). A great over-simplification, but the seam bowlers could certainly make the ball move "off-the-seam", with quite significant breaks. Something to do with the angle of the seam and the trajectory....never fully understood the physics, but I suppose it's like why a curling stone curls. But I'm not going there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I used to get a pair of tickets. One of the guys who writes here had seasons tickets and I used to be able to get tickets for a few times a season. Decent seats between home and third base. For those early seasons games I took my son. When the weather warmed my wife liked to go.

The best seats I've ever sat in were at the Skydome behind the catcher. I could see the balls break after the pitcher threw. It's not an optical illusion, in my opinion.
        No, the balls really do break. The only optical illusion is the "rising fastball" - it doesn't actually rise, but because it doesn't fall as much as others (it "breaks upwards") it appears to rise.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Here's some links indicative of the Blue Jays' injury woes for the years 2008-12:

circa June 2008:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...jays_injuries/

circa July 2009:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

circa April 2010:
          (couldn't quickly find injuries beyond one in April 2010 [opening day] with Google search)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_To...eason#Injuries

circa April 2011:
          (couldn't quickly find injuries beyond one in April 2011 with Google search)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...d-from-lineup/

circa August 2012:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ed-2012-season
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Injuries suck but every team has them. I remember reading a stat somewhere about the injury comparisons between all 30 teams but I forgot the details. In summary, fans of their own team always believe that their team suffered more injuries than the average baseball team but... that usually isn't the case.
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              No, the balls really do break. The only optical illusion is the "rising fastball" - it doesn't actually rise, but because it doesn't fall as much as others (it "breaks upwards") it appears to rise.
              The curveball functions as an optical illusion in that it travels in a regular parabolic arc, but appears to break sharply as the batter changes in tracking it from direct to peripheral vision. You can try it out for yourself here.

Comment

This is a chess forum not a baseball forum the original post should not have been allowed and the whole thread should be deleted. The moderators are not doing their job

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTomalty View Post
                  This is a chess forum not a baseball forum the original post should not have been allowed and the whole thread should be deleted. The moderators are not doing their job
                  Have you seen the zillion climate change/global warming posts?
                  I guess not... It seems if a thread gets hijacked or is even started OT, if it garners enough momentum, it lives. Meh.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

There were a lot of fast ball hitters who didn't catch on in the majors because they couldn't hit the breaking stuff.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! SNOWY OPENING DAY

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
                      YES -- there was snow. It was April 7, 1977

They played Chicago White Sox at Exhibition Stadium!

Check out this story: http://www.thegridto.com/city/sports...covered-debut/
                      Unlike a few million others who claim to have been there, I still have my ticket. It was my first year in Hamilton and the lawyer I was articling with had season tickets. He was also a member of Glen Abbey golf club in Oakville and we watched the last inning on tv from the hot tub there. The other ticket I have from that year was also Exhibition Stadium, the Grey Cup where sadly Sask. lost on a last play field goal.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTomalty View Post
                        Hi Al. Hope you're doing well.

As I believe was noted elsewhere on the English chesstalk forum, chesstalk doesn't have the feature (e.g. found on the Australian chess msg board) of having other forums devoted to non-chess related subjects that the chess community that uses chesstalk might wish to occasionally discuss. Larry Bevand once threatened to delete all Climate change threads when it started to get out of hand, if it's any consolation. Paul Beckbeth begged him to allow just one to exist.

If you still prefer to think of chesstalk as a chess forum rather than as a chess community forum, you might also express your displeasure with non-chess threads by giving them a rating of only one star. That may bring their rating down. Other people may follow suit . Though it's an anonymous method, people may get the idea non-chess threads are frowned upon, perhaps by many posters (I doubt the majority would care, really, though :p).

Have a good one. :)
                        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! Jays pick up ruling NL Cy Young winner

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                          I don't know if anyone has heard, but the Jays just got WAY better this past week, 12 player trade, melky cabrera signing, John Gibbons manager, etc. etc. It's freaking awesome. I've never been this excited about baseball since 2006.
                          This story keeps getting better and better.

REPORT: Jays pick up ruling NL Cy Young winner
                          Posted By: Newstalk 1010 · 12/16/2012 4:25:00 PM

Citing MLB sources, Fox Sports says the Jays & New York Mets have a deal that would send R.A. Dickey to Toronto.

Fox says the deal is contingent on the Blue Jays & the knuckleballer coming to an agreement on a contract extension. The 2 sides reportedly have a 72-hour negotiation window that expires at 2 pm Tuesday.

Dickey, a 38-year-old right-hander, is signed for $5-million next season but is seeking an extension thought to be worth $25 million over 2 years.

The New York Post reports the Mets would also send catcher Josh Thole & a non-elite prospect to the Jays in exchange for catchers Travis D'Arnaud & John Buck, right-hander Noah Syndergaard & another non-elite prospect.

D'Arnaud is viewed as the Jays' #1 prospect, Syndergaard is #3.

Dickey, went 20-6 with an ERA of 2.73 for the Mets in 2012. He also led the NL in strikeouts, ERA, innings, complete games & shutouts.

(The Canadian Press)

Comment

Re: Toronto Blue Jays!! Jays pick up ruling NL Cy Young winner

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
                            This story keeps getting better and better.
                            Sorry, but this is really not a good deal for the Jays. Hopefully he will refuse to sign an extension. Seriously, the #1 and #3 prospects in the system for a 38-year-old pitcher, who has never had success anywhere except with the Mets?
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I've spent probably the past 48 hours on Blue Jays affiliated and Mets blogs to see the reaction of the community and from my own knowledge and experience, I think we overpaid for Dickey.

The original proposal was Gose + Arencibia for Dickey and that was fine for a lot of Jays fans but then they wanted D'Arnaud. I was not happy with the development but after a while, I just accepted it's the cost of doing business. Unfortunately, now they're taking D'arnaud and Syndergaard. I had hoped that we would be getting someone back in return but if the only swap we're doing is Buck for Thole and non-impact minor leaguer for non-impact minor leaguer, essentially we're giving away two A- prospects for a 38-year old Knuckerballer.

I know that Dickey figured out the pitch late in his career and that he's had a very good 3 years since figuring it out but still, it's kind of disappointing since we were all hoping for D'Arnaud to replace Arencibia this coming year. Assuming we get an extension signed (2/26 was the reported figure, although that is below market value and 2/30 is more likely) it still feels not adequate. We'll have to see what the minor leaguers to be swapped are but yeah, it definitely feels like an overpayment. The easiest way to tell if a trade is good or bad is gauge the fan reaction and from what I can tell, Mets fans are overjoyed at getting two premium prospects back and Jays fans are upset are paying too much for a #2 pitcher, even if he did win the Cy young award this past year.

I know that for 2013, our team just got better assuming that Dickey can provide 4-5 WAR, but it hurts to see our farm system gutted. Yeah, this weekend sucks.
                              Shameless self-promotion on display here
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Also consider this... is Dickey THAT much better (two top prospects + at least $5 mil a year) than Shaun Marcum who could be had via free agency?? You can't even look strictly at WAR, since D'Arnaud was expected to replace Arencibia at some point this season, meaning that this deal possibly makes us worse at Catcher within just a few months than we would have been.
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X