X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Hi,

Curious question:
    Is there any general standard of conversion between CMA to CFC ratings?
    It's not unusual to have youngsters sign up for (adult) tournaments, whose CMA ratings may be more accurate (from an activity point of view, in certain specific cases) than CFC ones. Has any organizer ever converted a CMA rating for a youngster in an adult tournament, even if only for seeding purposes?
    Thanks,

Alex Ferreira

Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

It is extremely hard to convert CMA and CFC ratings, since the time control and the playing conditions aren't the same. For most young players, you would probably need to cut 200 or 300 points to their CMA rating, but some might actually be much better with slow time controls. My first FQE rating was 200 points higher than my CMA rating, since I was horrible at fast time controls.

A good solution might be to use the CFC ratings for all those who have one, and the CMA rating for those who don't. The stronger players should have a CFC rating, and the weaker ones only CMA rating (probably lower).

There is a possible conversion, but only for stronger players : http://www.chess-math.org/ratings/convformula.htm

Comment

Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      It is extremely hard to convert CMA and CFC ratings, since the time control and the playing conditions aren't the same. For most young players, you would probably need to cut 200 or 300 points to their CMA rating, but some might actually be much better with slow time controls. My first FQE rating was 200 points higher than my CMA rating, since I was horrible at fast time controls.

A good solution might be to use the CFC ratings for all those who have one, and the CMA rating for those who don't. The stronger players should have a CFC rating, and the weaker ones only CMA rating (probably lower).

There is a possible conversion, but only for stronger players : http://www.chess-math.org/ratings/convformula.htm
      CMA ratings are generally 300-400 points below CFC ratings and 200 points below USCF ratings for players under 1800 CFC. When our kids play in USCF rated events organized by Bill Goichberg they usually accept my guidlines....depends who is running the event for Bill :). Unfortunately, the CFC and the FQE (to the best of my knowledge) do not take CMA ratings into consideration and they prefer to use unrated as a designation :).

I have had discussions with the folks at the FQE on this...to no avail....they would prefer to count the person as unrated for pairing purposes than giving them an approximate FQE rating (eg CMA plus X) based on their CMA rating. The FQE under Marc Poulin has been good to the CMA over the years, so I gave up the battle...but I still think they are wrong LOL!

So if you are open to referring to CMA ratings for players who do not have a rating in the CFC, FQE, or USCF system, this is what I would recommend for players rated under 1800...add 400 for CFC, add 300 for FQE and add 200 for USCF...

or call them unrated and let their opponents be surprised :).

For the other players as Felix pointed out the conversion formula is here:

http://www.chess-math.org/ratings/convformula.htm[/QUOTE]

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        CMA ratings are generally 300-400 points below CFC ratings and 200 points below USCF ratings for players under 1800 CFC. When our kids play in USCF rated events organized by Bill Goichberg they usually accept my guidlines....depends who is running the event for Bill :). Unfortunately, the CFC and the FQE (to the best of my knowledge) do not take CMA ratings into consideration and they prefer to use unrated as a designation :).

I have had discussions with the folks at the FQE on this...to no avail....they would prefer to count the person as unrated for pairing purposes than giving them an approximate FQE rating (eg CMA plus X) based on their CMA rating. The FQE under Marc Poulin has been good to the CMA over the years, so I gave up the battle...but I still think they are wrong LOL!

So if you are open to referring to CMA ratings for players who do not have a rating in the CFC, FQE, or USCF system, this is what I would recommend for players rated under 1800...add 400 for CFC, add 300 for FQE and add 200 for USCF...

Larry
        I must disagree on this, at least for the FQE ratings. It might be true for CFC, but this would mean that the FQE/CFC difference at this level is nearly 500 rating points! I would have more imagine it between 200 and 300 for beginners.

Here's a comparison between the ratings of the best Quebec players from grade 3-5 in Quebec that have been active in both FQE and CMA.

CMA/FQE
        1627/1470
        1564/1241
        1555/1399
        1545/1427
        1480/1261
        1441/1356
        1223/1106

All of them have a higher CMA rating. I would suspect that CMA is maybe 150-200 points over the FQE rating, but as I said earlier, it is very, very hard to determine. Some players are definitely better in slow games, although it is quite rare for younger players.

Comment

Re: CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
          Hi,

Curious question:
          Is there any general standard of conversion between CMA to CFC ratings?
          It's not unusual to have youngsters sign up for (adult) tournaments, whose CMA ratings may be more accurate (from an activity point of view, in certain specific cases) than CFC ones. Has any organizer ever converted a CMA rating for a youngster in an adult tournament, even if only for seeding purposes?
          Thanks,

Alex Ferreira
          Hi Alex, once or twice each Spring, Tom and I run a day-camp tournament that I rate both CFC and CMA. The vast majority of the kids attending have CMA ratings under 1000, so if they do not yet have a CFC rating, I just use their CMA rating at par. I do understand that is not ideal, but for kids rated under 1000 (CFC or CMA), I suggest that it is fine, you get the pairings going and done, and the Swiss system takes care of the rest. In other words, without meaning to be disrespectful to any kids, if their rating is that low, I don't believe it matters all that much. And if they are higher rated players, then they would already have at least a provisional CFC rating, from some qualifier event. In several years of doing CFC-rated weekend events, I do not recall ever having a child who had no CFC rating, and yet wiped out the regular U1400/U1600 section.

Just my 2c worth, your mileage may vary! ;)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

I must disagree on this, at least for the FQE ratings. It might be true for CFC, but this would mean that the FQE/CFC difference at this level is nearly 500 rating points! I would have more imagine it between 200 and 300 for beginners.

Here's a comparison between the ratings of the best Quebec players from grade 3-5 in Quebec that have been active in both FQE and CMA.

CMA/FQE
            1627/1470
            1564/1241
            1555/1399
            1545/1427
            1480/1261
            1441/1356
            1223/1106

All of them have a higher CMA rating. I would suspect that CMA is maybe 150-200 points over the FQE rating, but as I said earlier, it is very, very hard to determine. Some players are definitely better in slow games, although it is quite rare for younger players.

Hi Felix!

Maybe things have changed since I last looked at this. We did make a change to our system a number of years ago to try and catch up number wise to other systems...maybe we have accomplished our goal :).

I would love to sit down with you and look at this situation...anytime in the first part of January works for me...I know you can not decide but I think your observations will be very useful...contact me at bevand@echecs.org if you are interested....or you can call me after Jan 2 2013. You are a positive influence for chess and I am eager to discuss this issue with you...en francais :)

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Hi Felix!

Maybe things have changed since I last looked at this. We did make a change to our system a number of years ago to try and catch up number wise to other systems...maybe we have accomplished our goal :).

I would love to sit down with you and look at this situation...anytime in the first part of January works for me...I know you can not decide but I think your observations will be very useful...contact me at bevand@echecs.org if you are interested....or you can call me after Jan 2 2013. You are a positive influence for chess and I am eager to discuss this issue with you...en francais :)

Larry
              It seems like a good idea. I'll write to you after the holidays. I guess it would be great if we could find a way to pair the younger players in the Pepsico Youth Chess Championship. This year's U8 section was quite popular, and many kids did not have an FQE rating.

Comment

Hi Felix!

Larry
                300 or 400 points isn't far off in Victoria (compared to actual playing strength compared to adults) but.... often a kid's CFC rating is based on his games with other kids and is about right for that comparison but wrong for the adult tournaments.
                Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 17th December, 2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

It seems like a good idea. I'll write to you after the holidays. I guess it would be great if we could find a way to pair the younger players in the Pepsico Youth Chess Championship. This year's U8 section was quite popular, and many kids did not have an FQE rating.
                  Looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    often a kid's CFC rating is based on his games with other kids and is about right for that comparison but wrong for the adult tournaments.
                    Hi Roger,

Care to explain?

Larry

Comment

Hi Roger,

Care to explain?

Larry
                      a couple of examples off the top of my head (not that I thought much about this, all the kids locally who play in adult tournaments are like this). The CMA and CFC ratings are both out of whack (although perhaps not CMA if we accept that there is a constant offset).

Player A: CMA 836 CFC 1021 Victoria Chess rating 1400
                      Player B: CMA 1124 CFC 1579 Victoria Chess 1677 USCF 1717

I'm biased of course, but I think the VCC rating is a much better indication of the strength of these players. Of course there are issues relating to amount of activity in the various systems, or in the case of the USCF rating, only getting a rating once they are reasonably good so they don't have to deal with gaining rating points to cover rapid improvement but there is clearly more at issue here than just a simple constant offset between CMA and CFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                        Has any organizer ever converted a CMA rating for a youngster in an adult tournament, even if only for seeding purposes
                        I did not.
                        Only checked my son old ratings: CFC-600 = CMA :D (In the last CMA tournament he gained ~120 pts.)

Alex, simple ask some general chess questions and guess what might be a person's rating (a class).

Comment

Just to clarify a point: TDs and organizers have free reign to assign whatever rating they feel is appropriate for a player with multiple ratings including CMA ratings. This is for the purpose of pairings and awarding of prizes.

The CFC office follows the guidelines in the CFC Handbook Chapter 7 when assigning initial ratings for new players. Note that the key article does not mention CMA or FQE ratings:

736. Foreign Events and Ratings. If a foreign player has a rating in his own country or from FIDE, that will be used to determine his first CFC rating. If he is inactive in Canada for a year but has a change in his foreign rating, his changed foreign rating will be used to recalculated his CFC rating.

New residents of Canada without a CFC rating are considered unrated, whether or not they have a foreign rating.
                          Paul Leblanc
                          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

http://www.chess-math.org/ratings/convformula.htm

Larry[/QUOTE]

Suggestion for Larry:
                            Is there some advantage for keeping CMA ratings below the other systems?
                            I can't think of any. So why not bring the CMA ratings in line with CFC ratings?
                            But here's my idea - don't do a wholesale add-on of 400 points to CMA ratings. Rather do it incrementally. Award say 5 bonus points for each player per rated game played and then apply the standard rating formula.
                            This should encourage the kids to play a lot! Eventually, as the ratings align with the target CFC ratings, you eliminate the bonus system. Not only will you get greater numbers in the CMA participants but the kids will improve faster as they will be playing more.
                            Just a thought - Vlad D

Comment

Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                              Suggestion for Larry:
                              Is there some advantage for keeping CMA ratings below the other systems?
                              I can't think of any. So why not bring the CMA ratings in line with CFC ratings?
                              But here's my idea - don't do a wholesale add-on of 400 points to CMA ratings. Rather do it incrementally. Award say 5 bonus points for each player per rated game played and then apply the standard rating formula.
                              This should encourage the kids to play a lot! Eventually, as the ratings align with the target CFC ratings, you eliminate the bonus system. Not only will you get greater numbers in the CMA participants but the kids will improve faster as they will be playing more.
                              Just a thought - Vlad D
                              There are already bonus points for each game. It might explain why the CMA ratings are inflated in Quebec (where there is a lot of tournaments) and not in some provinces.
                              Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 18th December, 2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X