Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Hi Larry,

When I read your previous message, I wanted to tell you that things had changed. Then I saw your later message.
    Many years ago, Chris Field used +400 to CMA for placing the players in the sections of OHSCC. After I showed him my research, he changed it to +300. They are still using +300 last year.
    I had not looked into this for a few years until recently. I found the two ratings of my players are pretty similar. I guess, as you said, you have accomplished your goal. :)

Corinna

Comment

Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
      Is there some advantage for keeping CMA ratings below the other systems?
      In fact, I think it might be a DISadvantage to CMA. If a kid is rated 800 CMA and 1200 CFC, guess which rating system he is most impressed with. :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        In fact, I think it might be a DISadvantage to CMA. If a kid is rated 800 CMA and 1200 CFC, guess which rating system he is most impressed with. :)
        The kid should not be impressed with either one. They mean very little. There is way too much fuss about ratings especially when it comes to kids. They come to think that ratings are everything when actually they are just a very imperfect tool to follow their progression or lack of.
        Playing and learning is the thing, not the figures. That is similar to the general public being impressed with Carlsen's 2862, but not by his games because they know next to nothing about chess. Chess organisations should work to change that kind of mistaken focus, and downplay the rating mania as much as possible because it actually does more harm than good.

Comment

If less emphasis was put on ratings the organizations might even get more members.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : CFC vs CMA Ratings ?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
            There are already bonus points for each game. It might explain why the CMA ratings are inflated in Quebec (where there is a lot of tournaments) and not in some provinces.
            You are correct. a few years ago, we added 1 point for each game played up to a maximum of 100 points per school year (if my memory is correct). We will have to revisit this in the summer of 2013 as we don't want to overshoot the mark either :)

Comment

Working...
            X