Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute - What do you think, RE: Hart House Tournament Round 4 lose on time

in round 4, U1900, Lily Zhou vs. Jack Ding
    the game finished the last and many people watched the game, many people witnessed that Jack's clock stuck at 2 seconds for at least more than 5 more moves until Lily's clock run out from more than 12 seconds.both side clicked the clock quickly, the arbitor Brian said he will make a decision later, for now consider Lily loss on time for paring next round,
    A lot of witness has told organizer Alex and arbitor Brian.

I would like to ask arbitor experts here, how do you think?

Re : Dispute - What do you think, RE: Hart House Tournament Round 4 lose on time

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post
    the game finished the last and many people watched the game, many people witnessed that Jack's clock stuck at 2 seconds for at least more than 5 more moves until Lily's clock run out from more than 12 seconds.both side clicked the clock quickly, the arbitor Brian said he will make a decision later, for now consider Lily loss on time for paring next round,

It's not impossible to play several moves without losing any time. Did you simply try to see after the game if the clock was working well? If there's no strong evidence that the clock was not working, I don't see why the result should be changed...

Comment

Re: Dispute - What do you think, RE: Hart House Tournament Round 4 lose on time

The time control was 30/90, SD/60. Was the arbiter watching the game during time trouble?

In any event, I suspect the arbiter will rule that a claim of a defective clock must be made DURING THE GAME, though in that kind of time scramble, I doubt anyone had time to call the arbiter.

Relevant FIDE rules are

6.10 a.
      Every indication given by the clocks is considered to be conclusive in the absence of any evident defect. A chess clock with an evident defect shall be replaced. The arbiter shall replace the clock and use his best judgment when determining the times to be shown on the replacement chess clocks.

The arbiter shall observe the games, especially when the players are short of time, enforce decisions he has made and impose penalties on players where appropriate. (my emphasis)

Comment

I am interested to see if Hal Bond will post a reply to this question. I tend to agree with Coleman that a decision should be made during the game. If the clock is faulty the tournament director should be present to witness the faulty clock so he can remedy the situation. I feel like it is the players responsibily to see that the clock is not working properly. The spectators should never interfere with the game in progress alerting the players of the clock. If the opponent does not find fault with the clock and it flags I think that the correct decision is that the player loses on time. I believe all the clocks are checked to see if they are in proper working order before the game starts. It is hard to impose rulings after a game is over.

Comment

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post

you don't watch many speed games I think. Good blitz players can play several moves without (apparent) loss of time (but are in fact using some fraction of a second). A lot of their motion is done while the other person is moving to press the clock.

And at that kind of time pressure, what is done when and who is pressing what when is pretty random.

So, there is no dispute unless you can show that the clock was in fact defective.

But personally, speaking as an organizer, they should have used increments.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            you don't watch many speed games I think. Good blitz players can play several moves without (apparent) loss of time (but are in fact using some fraction of a second). A lot of their motion is done while the other person is moving to press the clock.

And at that kind of time pressure, what is done when and who is pressing what when is pretty random.

So, there is no dispute unless you can show that the clock was in fact defective.

But personally, speaking as an organizer, they should have used increments.
            A move isn't completed until a player presses their clock. So, wouldn't moving on your opponent's time be illegal? Shouldn't the TD advise the offending player to stop and add time to the other player's clock? I 100% agree that increments (even the Americans' awful "five-second delay") is better than no increments at all.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Tom, what Roger said was "A lot of their motion is done while the other person is moving to press the clock" which is legal. A move is made on the board, and as the player moves his arm to press the clock, the opponent is already moving his hand to make his move. I've seen some very fast blitz players.

I fully agree that increments are better than no increments. Digital clocks have been around for what... 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                Tom, what Roger said was "A lot of their motion is done while the other person is moving to press the clock" which is legal. A move is made on the board, and as the player moves his arm to press the clock, the opponent is already moving his hand to make his move. I've seen some very fast blitz players.

I fully agree that increments are better than no increments. Digital clocks have been around for what... 10 years?
                I have been in this position in blitz games. I have had my hand interfered with or even blocked when trying to press my clock. In some cases I had the feeling this was a deliberate ploy. In particular when I am white and have to reach across the board to get to the clock.
                Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Sunday, 24th February, 2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Why wasn't there an incremental time control? It would just about eliminate situations like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    Why wasn't there an incremental time control? It would just about eliminate situations like this.
                    I think the organizers already explained this before as their not being sure of having enough digital clocks for all sections. In addition to all the other expenses and requirements to hold tournaments I wouldn't think it fair to ask a student organization to go to the expense of providing digital clocks for everyone. I guess I would turn the question around and ask why not everyone has a digital clock to bring to tournaments. I even wonder why some people show up to tournaments and never bring a clock, assuming their opponent will.
                    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Sunday, 24th February, 2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

Sorry, I took it to mean that Player A has moved but hasn't pressed the clock yet, and while reaching for the clock Player B has picked up their piece and started to move it. Mea culpa.

I would be surprised if anyone could actually play five moves in under one second without violating the rules as outlined above.
                      Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Sunday, 24th February, 2013, 10:19 PM.
                      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        (even the Americans' awful "five-second delay") is better than no increments at all.
                        I play most of my chess south of the border, and completely agree. Although five second delay is ugly (why not a 5 second increment?) - it is A LOT better than traditional sudden death. Those 5 seconds greatly reduce the need for arbiters to get involved in end-of-game time scrambles. And don't add much time to the game to accomplish this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                          Sorry, I took it to mean that Player A has moved but hasn't pressed the clock yet, and while reaching for the clock Player B has picked up their piece and started to move it. Mea culpa.

I would be surprised if anyone could actually play five moves in under one second without violating the rules as outlined above.
                          See for example http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1497429 (Rybka vs Nakamura; 271 moves in sudden death 3 minutes. Sure, computer interface with pre moving and all that but still....

That was just one example - I'm sure there are others maybe even some with moving physical pieces.

Geurt Gijssen has considered the problem several times e.g. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt150.pdf

His view is that it is impossible in a blitz situation to enforce a rule that a player may not move until the other player has completed (by pressing his clock) his move. So, he considers the second player moving (and touching pieces) between the first player releasing his piece and moving to the clock legal. He does insist that the first player is always allowed to press his clock. (so at least some time must elapse on the second player's clock).
                          Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 25th February, 2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

If there was a 2 sec vs 12 sec visible then a digital clock must have been used.

Was it a Hart House Chess clock or one of the player's clocks.
                            Many details left out from original post.

When a game is down to that fast anything can happen.

Maybe the 12 sec player was not pressing the button hard enough to start the 2 sec clock. I did not witness the game so I cannot make a concrete comment.

Did the losing player appeal the decision?
                            Was this for First Prize in U1900?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                              See for example http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1497429 (Rybka vs Nakamura; 271 moves in sudden death 3 minutes. Sure, computer interface with pre moving and all that but still....

That was just one example - I'm sure there are others maybe even some with moving physical pieces.

Geurt Gijssen has considered the problem several times e.g. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt150.pdf

His view is that it is impossible in a blitz situation to enforce a rule that a player may not move until the other player has completed (by pressing his clock) his move. So, he considers the second player moving (and touching pieces) between the first player releasing his piece and moving to the clock legal. He does insist that the first player is always allowed to press his clock. (so at least some time must elapse on the second player's clock).
                              Lol wat - completely irrelevant...
                              i rep back 3+

Comment

Working...
                              X