Dispute - What do you think, RE: Hart House Tournament Round 4 lose on time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dispute - What do you think, RE: Hart House Tournament Round 4 lose on time

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
    If there was a 2 sec vs 12 sec visible then a digital clock must have been used.

Was it a Hart House Chess clock or one of the player's clocks.
    Many details left out from original post.

When a game is down to that fast anything can happen.

Maybe the 12 sec player was not pressing the button hard enough to start the 2 sec clock. I did not witness the game so I cannot make a concrete comment.

Did the losing player appeal the decision?
    Was this for First Prize in U1900?

I did not see the game but got the details from Jack. The Clock was digital and belonged to Lily. I think it's a bit ridiculous for Lily to complain about how unfair it is when the clock belonged to her and there appears to be no concrete evidence that the clock malfunctioned.... that could just be me though

Also, as far as I know neither player had done well enough up to this point for them to qualify for prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      ... Geurt Gijssen has considered the problem several times e.g. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt150.pdf

His view is that it is impossible in a blitz situation to enforce a rule that a player may not move until the other player has completed (by pressing his clock) his move. So, he considers the second player moving (and touching pieces) between the first player releasing his piece and moving to the clock legal. He does insist that the first player is always allowed to press his clock. (so at least some time must elapse on the second player's clock).
      Wow, I'm shocked that this is considered acceptable practice. Thanks for the information; it gives me another reason to avoid sudden-death time control tournaments without increments. :-)
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

This reminds me of my first encounter with digital clocks. It was many many years ago at the Mississauga Chess Club. I was just the new patzer at the time, and John Upper was King of the club. The strongest player, and the only guy with a digital clock. It was a novelty back then, a bit mysterious, this must be maybe 20 years ago?

Anyhow, I got paired up against John in a speed tournament. To my surprise, I got what I thought was a clear advantage, on the board and on the clock. John had 12 seconds, I had 3 minutes. Could I knock the king off his throne? John offered me a draw. Why accept a draw when he can't physically make all the moves, even if he was winning? I declined the draw!

John gave me this look, blitzed out I'm guessing 30+moves, I flagged while getting mated, and John had 5 seconds left. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          Geurt Gijssen has considered the problem several times e.g. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt150.pdf
          You chose not the best Q&A. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt139.pdf has a better description and some explanations:

"Answer
          Let me start with two definitions:
          1. Making a move means to play a piece from one square to another square.
          2. Completing a move means making a move, stopping one's own clock, and starting the opponent’s.

It is a generally accepted interpretation that a player may make his move after the opponent has made (not completed) his move. Thus, before a player has pressed his clock, the opponent is allowed to make his move, but , after the opponent has made the move, the player still has the right to press his clock.
          In my opinion, the sentence "A player must always be allowed to stop his clock" justifies the way the player of the black pieces acted.
          We discussed this matter during the FIDE Congress in Dresden 2008. The question was, whether we should forbid a player to make a move before his opponent has pressed the clock. We concluded that especially in time scrabbles, blitz, and rapid games, it is very difficult to see the real sequence of what is happening. Therefore, we did not change this Article of the Laws of Chess."

Comment

I was sitting across the hall from the playing table and could hear and see most of what was going on, in terms of the blitzing, but of course couldn't see the clock. And I could clearly hear the discussions that ensued.

The claim by Lily was made after the conclusion of the game, only because witnesses then stated to her that the clock had not been working.

The evidence about the clock was mixed.

Jack Maguire and some other witnesses swore many moves were played by Jack Ding after the clock showed he had 2 seconds left, and the clock never went down. Enough moves were played that at least one second was used by Jack.

But when Alex Ferreira, organizer, tested the clock after Lily's claim, the clock was working.

Alex referred the claim to arbiter Bryan Lamb. I don't know what Bryan ruled.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              You chose not the best Q&A. http://www.chesscafe.com/text/geurt139.pdf has a better description and some explanations:
              I'm now firmly in the camp that increments should be used for anything remotely official.

I find it a total lack of respect to hang your hand over the board and make your move as soon as the other guy seems to have dropped the piece. That way you can easily make 10 moves in less than 1 sec. This practice allows you to actually move your pieces on the opponent's time.

Chess is a 'mind game' after all, and the 1-2 seconds required to move a piece and press the clock should never be a factor.

Mathieu

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                The claim by Lily was made after the conclusion of the game, only because witnesses then stated to her that the clock had not been working.
                Related clauses:
                13.7 Spectators and players in other games are not to speak about or otherwise interfere in a game. If necessary, the arbiter may expel offenders from the playing venue. If someone observes an irregularity, he may inform only the arbiter.
                6.10b. If during a game it is found that the setting of either or both clocks was incorrect, either player or the arbiter shall stop the clocks immediately. The arbiter shall install the correct setting and adjust the times and move counter. He shall use his best judgement when determining the correct settings.
                Players should not only learn openings but rules too.

BTW: 1 sec has 1 000 000 000 000 picoseconds LOL I mean, that there are 1000 milliseconds 9ms), and a clock switch time might be about 30-100 ms. Do your math.

Comment

What was a final verdict?

Comment

Hello,

The tournament had 125 players, which is consistent with our normal turn-outs.
                    That means ~60 boards (some people take byes). We are the University of Toronto Chess Club (Hart House) and have 30-50 members any given year.
                    It is simply impossible, even if we had the money, to justify in a budget proposal having over 20-25 clocks. In our larger turn-out type events and we hope to surpass the Winter Open (186 players) in the future, this is a real challenge. For us to be able to provide everyone clocks we would probably have to pull from at least two sources (Annex & OCA for example).
                    In sum, we ask people to bring their own. In this, we cannot dictate an incremental time control all around because we don't have enough digital clocks and know well enough that there are still many people who only own an analog. Although yes, that would be ideal.

Zhou-Ding

Neither Bryan or myself can be planted watching everything that is going on, especially when chess is being played in two rooms, there is a skittles analyzes, and the "TD Room" where we keep supplies and people look for one of us when they need something. The second last game had just finished, and as I am collecting supplies that people borrow from us but don't return, carbon copies, etc... I see the crowd watching the last game. I make my way there and the situation is quite intense. Both players are blitzing moves and furiously banging the clock. The clock is of course, facing the wall. -- Whereas I don't remember making an announcement about this, the board mats had originally all been set in such a way that if the clocks were on the right side of black, they would be facing the aisle -- I decided to watch from where I was, as pieces were being misplaced or flying off their squares (and adjusted accordingly, both players were good about this), instead of going around a crowd of 15 people and missing the entire action.

Black calls white's flag. You've read the witnesses' feedback, I got the same on-site from the them. About black's clock not going down. I pick up the clock and see 0.00-0.00 -- So the clock at least worked after white's flag fell to then bring black's flag down as well (within these past 20 or so seconds of a complaint, witness feedback and me picking up the clock).
                    I switched the mode of Zhou's Saitek 3 clock to 2A, 5 minute blitz, and tested it. It seemed perfectly fine to me.

To me it seemed inhumane that someone could play so many moves in so little (or no) time. Could the clock had momentarily frozen with its abuse?

In any case, the arbiter's decision could realistically probably only be one.
                    There was no evidence that the clock was faulty (as far as we could tell)
                    The claim was made after the game was over (immediately after)

So the result stood.

Alex Ferreira
                    Organizer, Hart House Reading Week Open

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                      Hello,

..... In this, we cannot dictate an incremental time control all around because we don't have enough digital clocks and know well enough that there are still many people who only own an analog. Although yes, that would be ideal.

I have heard before from others that using digital clocks is not possible because not every one owns one and it is too expensive for them to buy one yada yada yada.

I simply don't understand it. When I was a kid, all tournament games were with [analog] clocks and I cannot ever recall someone arguing that a tournament should be played without clocks because, well they were expensive and not everybody had one. Didn't matter, a clock was required for tournament play. Today, a digital clock is the norm for tournament play and that is what everybody should have.

Might be harder for a club to replace all of it's own but again, it is required chess equipment. The Victoria Club has all digital, has even replaced it's old digital clocks. If we can do it, you can. You can also divert say 10% of your tournament prize funds towards equipment and do it over time.

Again: today, a digital clock is a required part of tournament equipment. Deal with it.
                      Last edited by Roger Patterson; Monday, 25th February, 2013, 03:30 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Great points!

Lots of food for thought.
                        We could...

A - Do it like in USA, provide zero equipment, and have a situation comparable to when Kamsky's game started over half hour late because he didn't have a clock and had to wait until one became available.

B - Simply have a Sudden Death Time Control all around, uniforming clocks by ability. After all if we, as organizers, stipulate such and players join the tournament, they would be conforming with the rules.

C - Stop hosting tournaments altogether.

D - Fly clocks in from Victoria.

E - Place a cap of 48 players because we own 24 clocks & sets.

F - Spend thousands of dollars buying clocks to use twice a year, because after all, several players don't own equipment (how?), or those who own a set and clock don't wish to lug it around.

G - Or as our former colleague Stuart Brammall has suggested several times, and some organizers have done it, RENT the equipment that we do own, round by round.

Personally, I don't really like any of the options. But the last one may merit more consideration. Something like... $15 deposit per set / clock / round. $10 refunded when equipment is brought back.
                        It might just provide the incentive for chess players who don't own a set / clock to invest in one, or bring it with them.

... or perhaps ...

H - Ask Strategy Games to send a representative and do that for us ... ? with their own rates.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

G - Or as our former colleague Stuart Brammall has suggested several times, and some organizers have done it, RENT the equipment that we do own, round by round.
                          Just do it and don't look back. Enforce a rule that if no equipment available for the paired players within 15 min - both get zeros. It will take one event when all will bring (buy) digital clocks or will learn to share / borrow / rent.
                          You may make some exceptions for top-25 boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            You may make some exceptions for top-25 boards.
                            The other boards may be treated like mushrooms. Not much of a way to promote chess for the masses.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Dispute - What do you think, RE: Hart House Tournament Round 4 lose on time

Great points!

Lots of food for thought.
                              We could...

A - Do it like in USA, provide zero equipment, and have a situation comparable to when Kamsky's game started over half hour late because he didn't have a clock and had to wait until one became available.

B - Simply have a Sudden Death Time Control all around, uniforming clocks by ability. After all if we, as organizers, stipulate such and players join the tournament, they would be conforming with the rules.

C - Stop hosting tournaments altogether.

D - Fly clocks in from Victoria.

E - Place a cap of 48 players because we own 24 clocks & sets.

F - Spend thousands of dollars buying clocks to use twice a year, because after all, several players don't own equipment (how?), or those who own a set and clock don't wish to lug it around.

Personally, I don't really like any of the options. But the last one may merit more consideration. Something like... $15 deposit per set / clock / round. $10 refunded when equipment is brought back.
                              It might just provide the incentive for chess players who don't own a set / clock to invest in one, or bring it with them.

... or perhaps ...

H - Ask Strategy Games to send a representative and do that for us ... ? with their own rates.

Alex Ferreira
                              Doesn't the CFC have some clocks that they could lend? The FQE lends everything (clocks and pieces) and give material (scoresheets, boards, etc.) for major tournaments. I don't know if the CFC has a lot of chess material though.

Comment

Any non-Goichberg (i.e. non-Continental Chess Association) tournament that I have experienced over the last few years in the US has supplied at least boards and sets (and a fair number of clocks).

Comment

Working...
                                X