CFC President resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC President resigns

Today, The Chess Federation of Canada received the news that Michael von Keitz has stepped down, effective immediately. Here is a link to his post:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...48-Resignation

In the interim, I have agreed to act as the Interim President, pending the election of a new Executive at the AGM of the CFC likely to be held in 3 or 4 months in June or July this year.

I want to thank Michael for his excellent 20 months of service as our President and wish him all the best in his future endeavours!

Further, as a result of Michael's resignation, our Executive have lost 2 of our 7 members as this has resulted in Bob Gillanders departure as Past President. I will not be seeking re-election at the AGM this year and I do not expect to see the return of any more than 3 or 4 of us for next year.

Time for those considering serving the CFC to think about this and begin preparation for a presidential campaign or another position on the Executive.

Please stay tuned as the CFC will be issuing 3 important RFPs this week.

Thanks for your patience and understanding during this time of transition at the CFC. :)

Mark S. Dutton, I.A., I.O.
    CFC President
    New email: CFC-President@shaw.ca

Re: CFC President resigns

From his message on the Chess Canada board, I get the feeling that Mr. von Keitz resigned as he feels he has somehow failed as President.

I'm not much into politics, not even chess politics, so I'm not familiar with what's going on. Mr. von Keitz did not explain anything in his message, so I don't understand why he has stepped down.

If anyone could provide some explanation, detailed or brief, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Michael sent the Governors a different text than the one posted on the CFC discussion board.

Comment

I don't think Michael resigned because of any feeling that he didn't do an excellent job. Quite the opposite - he was a pillar of strength to those of us in supporting roles and I am most grateful for his strong leadership over the past 2 years.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

My apologies I misread the first lines of Mark's post. Specifically I thought this line was part of Michael's resignation letter and that the I referred to Michael not Mark:

<<http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...48-Resignation

In the interim, I have agreed to act as the Interim President, pending the election of a new Executive at the AGM of the CFC likely to be held in 3 or 4 months in June or July this year. >>

I now understand that I means Mark Dutton and the line as written was not part of Michael resignation letter or details.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Friday, 1st March, 2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
            I don't think Michael resigned because of any feeling that he didn't do an excellent job. Quite the opposite - he was a pillar of strength to those of us in supporting roles and I am most grateful for his strong leadership over the past 2 years.
            I have to echo Paul's comments. Michael has been an excellent CFC President, and I hope he knows that is how most of us who have worked with him feel.

He did not seek a high profile with the members/ public, but was a very good in-house leader of the governors and executive, and quite a workhorse behind the scenes.

I also wish him well in whatever he has now decided to focus his sights on.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
              Have you ever considered resigning? Just asking...
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                Michael sent the Governors a different text than the one posted on the CFC discussion board.
                I have no idea what text he wrote to the governors. However, I've wondered how a person can hope to successfully head a national organization with limited funds, a large unwieldy board of governors, online meetings where no face to face discussions take place and what appears to be lack of interest from the general membership.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My observation is that Michael had outside pressures that prevented him from keeping his role for the rest of the term. I am sure he is proud of the work he has accomplished, while President.

Vice-President Mark Dutton is assuming the role of President until the AGM. At that time he will become Past President on the 2013-2014 Executive.

For the rest of the 2012-2013 term the position of Vice President and Past President will be vacant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    I have to echo Paul's comments. Michael has been an excellent CFC President, and I hope he knows that is how most of us who have worked with him feel.

He did not seek a high profile with the members/ public, but was a very good in-house leader of the governors and executive, and quite a workhorse behind the scenes.

I also wish him well in whatever he has now decided to focus his sights on.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
                    I agree. Michael was on top of things, worked hard behind the scenes and did a lot of good work...and the CFC as well as chess in Canada...is lucky to have had his services. He is a bright young individual who no doubt will shine in whatever field he chooses to focus his time and energy!

Michael, Good luck and thank you for your contribution!

Larry

Comment

I think Michael did as good a job as anyone could, but the
                      failure to inspire the general chess populace led to his
                      decision.

Except for a few bright spots - youth chess, the strong Western
                      and Quebec organizations, and clubs like the Annex - the Canadian
                      chess scene today remains exceedingly bleak, well beyond the
                      remedy of any one person.

Decades ago, organized corruption tried to get felons like
                      Saul Betesh into running tournaments, with little success.

NOWADAYS, tournament directors openly abet cheating players.
                      The Ontario and federal executives have been caught redhanded
                      in fraud and theft. A mafia mouthpiece stimies general enquiry and
                      decisions by the governors, making endless lunatic motions,
                      and rewriting the history of scams. And accountability is
                      noticeably absent everywhere.

To this we must add the berating and slandering of critics on
                      web forums like this one, and the suspicious poisioning incidents
                      involving master level "whiners" like Nickoloff, Schleiffer and
                      Spraggett. Is it any wonder that the average player here seems so
                      disenchanted?

Good luck to Michael on his next major endeavour, and we hope he can
                      stick around to help in other ways.
                      Last edited by Ed Zator; Friday, 1st March, 2013, 06:37 PM. Reason: sp.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                        From his message on the Chess Canada board, I get the feeling that Mr. von Keitz resigned as he feels he has somehow failed as President.
                        Your feeling is a bit off. I would say that he has accomplished pretty much everything that he has set out to do and now it is time for some new challenges.

Comment

What's the status with the other positions where there are RFP's? Are the incumbents also leaving their positions?
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                            What's the status with the other positions where there are RFP's? Are the incumbents also leaving their positions?
                            May 1 2013 is the expiry date of the current Administrative contract (ie Executive Director).

The Book & Equipment contract expired several months ago, and we have been going month to month.

The CCN Editor contract expired a couple of months ago, and we have been going month to month.

These are all business contracts and the CFC Executive has decided to issue and RFP for each, although all incumbants have been invited to submit an RFP.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                              May 1 2013 is the expiry date of the current Administrative contract (ie Executive Director).

The Book & Equipment contract expired several months ago, and we have been going month to month.

The CCN Editor contract expired a couple of months ago, and we have been going month to month.

These are all business contracts and the CFC Executive has decided to issue and RFP for each, although all incumbants have been invited to submit an RFP.
                              Hi Fred,

First I would like to say that Gerry has been great for the CFC. As for the other two contracts that the CFC has...I think the CFC can do better.

I am aware of the conditions of the present contracts. Should everyone not know what they are bidding against?

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X