Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Tanraj Sohal won a full scholarship to Webster University by winning a scholastic event in New Orleans! See: www.susanpolgar.com Daily Blog for details. Congratulations!

Re : Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Tanraj Sohal won a full scholarship to Webster University by winning a scholastic event in New Orleans! See: www.susanpolgar.com Daily Blog for details. Congratulations!
    I just don't get why they offer such scholarships to Canadian students. I mean, we have many universities that are way better than this university, and we don't even need scholarships to study there. Even if he gets free tuition, all the fees associated with the residences and moving there are not worth it. He could instead study at UBC, UofT or McGill, that are much more renowned and yet, cheaper... If he is a good student, what wouldn't surprise me, he could get scholarships from these universities and maybe end up being actually paid to study there.

It sure is a great accomplishment for Tanraj, and this scholarship might be very useful for a US student that can't get into a top-tier university, but for a Canadian?

Comment

Re: Re : Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Definitely we have better universities. However, the US universities usually cover all fees (including residence) and so the prospect of chess improvement combined with studies is a big incentive.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
        Definitely we have better universities. However, the US universities usually cover all fees (including residence) and so the prospect of chess improvement combined with studies is a big incentive.
        Hi Eric,
        I perfectly understand (and support) the idea of chess scholarships for young IMs and GMs such as you. Many of those who received such sponsorship will probably end up playing professionnal chess. I guess for many people it is pretty much similar to sports scholarships (i.e. the university gains some prestige and the athletes have a good opportunity to get better and get known). I personnally know some people that have won such scholarship to study, and for about half of them "studying" is saying a lot, as they don't really care about their courses and are only here to become professional athletes (some are very serious in their studies and don't want to become professional athletes tough).
        However, for non FIDE titled players, who will unlikely become professionals, winning such scholarships is not the same deal. In many cases it could be a serious distraction from their studies and they won't win a lot from attending such a university (at least career-wise).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          Hi Eric,
          I perfectly understand (and support) the idea of chess scholarships for young IMs and GMs such as you. Many of those who received such sponsorship will probably end up playing professionnal chess. I guess for many people it is pretty much similar to sports scholarships (i.e. the university gains some prestige and the athletes have a good opportunity to get better and get known). I personnally know some people that have won such scholarship to study, and for about half of them "studying" is saying a lot, as they don't really care about their courses and are only here to become professional athletes (some are very serious in their studies and don't want to become professional athletes tough).
          However, for non FIDE titled players, who will unlikely become professionals, winning such scholarships is not the same deal. In many cases it could be a serious distraction from their studies and they won't win a lot from attending such a university (at least career-wise).

Agreed! Although, with the exception of myself, almost all the chess players seem to be quite good students :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Hi Eric:

I think you have posted about this before, but do I take it from your post, that you also are currently on a chess scholarship to Webster U, and attending first year there now?

Bob

Comment

Re: Tanraj Sohal wins full scholarship to Webster University

Tanraj is a brilliant student as well as a master. I thought he was considering a medical degree to follow in his father's footsteps. Don't know if he can progress that at Webster.
              Paul Leblanc
              Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Many youngsters are encouraged (pressured?) into 'following in Daddy's footsteps'. Being able to do it and wanting to do it are two different things :o

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                  Many youngsters are encouraged (pressured?) into 'following in Daddy's footsteps'. Being able to do it and wanting to do it are two different things :o
                  As one professor, Kai Siegbahn, told me, it was a privilege to discuss physics with a father during breakfast. The result - the second Nobel Prize in family LOL His son is a physicist too :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                    Congratulations Tanraj!

You are a hard working individual who brings honour to the game of chess. Always polite and respectful! You have great parents and a sister who loves you dearly. Your whole family have been big supporters of the CMA over the years...we appreciate that and are very proud of you today!

You will succeed in whatever field you choose to make a contribution...thank you for making a significant contribution to the Canadian chess scene!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                    X