Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

Today an old picture was brought to Aurora Chess Club. It has own history

It is the Paul Keres simul in Hart House, Toronto, 1975. Can you name players?
    I posted a reduce version (1000px). You might increase it to 1500 by changing the link

.../s1000/.. to /s1500/.
    lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8Req2tHgFLA/UTVpchlfjeI/AAAAAAAAFCk/VNnFs-53nLM/s1000/20130304_aucc_bindi_dsc25833.jpg

I have not seen the picture before. Was it published somewhere else?

There will be no results from the Bindi's simul. Need to invent the time machine and then replay some games LOL

Re: Paul Keres in Toronto, 1975

I would guess third from the left I can see Phil Haley, maybe Keith Kerns is next player down, maybe Brett Campbell 2 players down and Andy Dimitri 3 more players down with his face half in a shadow facing Paul Keres. Back row Jonathon Shaeffer in the centre and Martin Davenport to the left.

One of the spectators looks like Jack Black, who was a great pool player and an avid chess fan.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
      I would guess third from the left I can see Phil Haley,
      I'd guessed it was Howard Rideout, but probably not.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I can see myself with my good friends Gary Fauland and Edward King as some of the spectators.
        We are standing next to the man with the dark tie and checked suit that is near the woman in a dark outfit.

Comment

Just before or after the simul I had the pleasure of showing Keres some of the Toronto tourist sites. While driving south on Jarvis Street, I asked him if he had recently played some tournament. "Yes." he said and mentioned some event in one of the northern states where he won First Prize.
          "So, how much did you win?" I asked as if it was any of my business.
          "$17,000" he said without hesitation.
          "Very nice! I said, "So what will you do with all the money?"
          "I bought a car!" he said.
          "What kind of car did you buy?"
          "I bought a Chevrolet!" he enthused.
          "You paid $17,000 for a Chevrolet?!" I said thinking he had been robbed.
          "Oh no, I paid $6,000 but I will have to pay 200% import duty when it arrives in the Soviet Union - $12,000! more!" Ah the robbery was still to come I thought but said nothing.
          "So", I said, "what will you do in a few years when you may need parts for the car?"
          Said Keres, "When a 60 year old man marries a 20 year old woman, he does not ask what will happen when he is 80 and she is 40!"
          I still laugh when I think of that answer.:)
          Sadly, the great man never had the pleasure of driving his Chevy in Talin. He died at the Helsinki airport while waiting for his flight to Moscow. Even though
          his home in Talin was less than 100 kilometers across the water, he would have had to fly thousands of kms to enter his country by way of Moscow!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
            I would guess third from the left I can see Phil Haley, maybe Keith Kerns is next player down, maybe Brett Campbell 2 players down and Andy Dimitri 3 more players down with his face half in a shadow facing Paul Keres. Back row Jonathon Shaeffer in the centre and Martin Davenport to the left.

One of the spectators looks like Jack Black, who was a great pool player and an avid chess fan.

Hope that helps.
            Agree with Haley and Kerns. Not 100% on Dimitiri but you're probably right; I think my high school teammate Peter Fraser is left of him. I recall sitting on the north side, towards the west, facing the window. Don't know if I'm the one with the white arm to my face. To the right of Haley is a woman, not Angela Day or Vesma or my teammate Maureen Dancy.

3 more heads pass Kerns headtop could be Ray Stone, but not enough of face visible.

I think teammate John Halladay is sitting at the end to the left of Jonathan Schaeffer. Standing to the left of Schaffer looks like Zoltan Sarosy with the glasses. Not at all sure, looks a little like Harry Kaminker sitting to the right of Schaeffer. Recognize SCC guy standing up with with suit, but no name, Aris Mendrinos?

Keres had also played in Toronto in 1967.

Comment

Thnx to everybody who contributed.
              The owner was kind enough and scanned the picture. If anybody interested for a copy ~4MB, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                Just before or after the simul I had the pleasure of showing Keres some of the Toronto tourist sites. While driving south on Jarvis Street, I asked him if he had recently played some tournament. "Yes." he said and mentioned some event in one of the northern states where he won First Prize.
                "So, how much did you win?" I asked as if it was any of my business.
                "$17,000" he said without hesitation.
                "Very nice! I said, "So what will you do with all the money?"
                "I bought a car!" he said.
                "What kind of car did you buy?"
                "I bought a Chevrolet!" he enthused.
                "You paid $17,000 for a Chevrolet?!" I said thinking he had been robbed.
                "Oh no, I paid $6,000 but I will have to pay 200% import duty when it arrives in the Soviet Union - $12,000! more!" Ah the robbery was still to come I thought but said nothing.
                "So", I said, "what will you do in a few years when you may need parts for the car?"
                Said Keres, "When a 60 year old man marries a 20 year old woman, he does not ask what will happen when he is 80 and she is 40!"
                I still laugh when I think of that answer.:)
                Sadly, the great man never had the pleasure of driving his Chevy in Talin. He died at the Helsinki airport while waiting for his flight to Moscow. Even though
                his home in Talin was less than 100 kilometers across the water, he would have had to fly thousands of kms to enter his country by way of Moscow!
                That's one way to avoid paying taxes.

Comment

I recognize the man in the checkered suit and tie. His name was Ozzie but I forget his last name. I recall that he the first player that I ever played at the Scarborough Chess Club in a casual game when I originally joined in 1979. I never saw Ozzie play in a rated game as the Scarborough club also catered to a group (comprised mostly of the same vintage) that preferred to play only casual chess.

Comment

Fascinating!!! :)

Thanks to all the posters.

I thought Bryon Nickoloff played in this simul against GM Keres. Apparently the two analyzed for some time afterwards, with Keres praising Bryon's talent; he was not quite 19 then.

GM Keres played a simul in Kingston on this same trip, at the invitation of fellow Estonian Kalev Pugi, who had been CFC President. When I get some time I am going to dig out info on this, and post it here.

Responding to Vlad's post, about the tournament Keres played in the northern U.S. on the same trip to North America, just before the Toronto simul, does anyone know more about this? I am a pretty big Keres fan, but have never heard this before. I guess I could write to the USCF, since for a tournament with a first prize of $17k in that era, it must have been quite significant. But the result DOES NOT appear on Keres' record anywhere I have seen. It should be added to the historical files, for a player of his stature.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                      I think teammate John Halladay is sitting at the end to the left of Jonathan Schaeffer. Standing to the left of Schaffer looks like Zoltan Sarosy with the glasses.

Agree with Sarosy, but Davenport and Shaeffer were very good friends and hence that is why I think it is Davenport. Also is he is in a typical 'Davenport pose'. Also definitely an Andy Dimitri pose, hence I am pretty sure it is him.
                      First guy on the right with the big sideburns and moustache looks like Florian Bergeron, but that is a guess and it looks like Rob Morenz 2 players down from him.

Jack Black used to 'hang out' with Nickoloff for a time, so I would guess Nickoloff was there somewhere.

Great quote from story from Vlad also about Keres. Honestly, Vlad could write a wonderful book some day.

Comment

At the far end of table, on the right, is David Lavin.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                          I thought Bryon Nickoloff played in this simul against GM Keres. Apparently the two analyzed for some time afterwards, with Keres praising Bryon's talent; he was not quite 19 then.
                          I heard stories to the effect that Keres was so impressed that he took the time to write a letter to the CFC praising Bryon's abilities. But I do not know if this is true. Nick himself told me that he and Keres went over some games played between Karpov and Kortchnoi with Nick himself doing the explaining as to what was going on. With the exception of his confidence in his own chess strength, Bryon was a very shy person. I miss him.

Comment

But I do not know if this is true..
                            Can somebody confirm that Paul Keres gave a simul with clocks too? Later it transformed into a coaching/training session by analyzing those games. Where did I read it?

Comment

In a clock simul in Montreal at Sun Life (May 1975), he won 4, lost to Leon Piasetski, Peter Mackean, and Emil Schlosser, and drew Camille Coudari and Erik Viires.

Comment

Working...
                              X