Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
    There's a limited number of official representatives, but all kids can participate (and it's a great opportunity).
    Excellent. Is there a tournament flyer that I can spread around? :)
    This could potentially be a BIG turnout. What is the capacity of the Chestnut Conference Centre?
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 3rd May, 2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

. Each Federation can register one official player in each category and gender (U-8, U-10, U-12, U-14, U-16 U-18), up to a maximum of 12 official players and one representative of the federation.
      Are the Canadian official players the ones who got 3rd place in 2012 CYCC?

CFC Handbook 712:
      a) Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) is a qualifier to international youth chess competitions.

Top 3 finishers in each section are qualified to become official representatives for:

1) World Youth Chess Championship (WYCC);

2) Pan American Youth Chess Championship;

3) North American Youth Chess Championship.

Comment

Scarborough CC is about 1/2 juniors now, so I'd put out some flyers for the NAYCC at our club - let us know when one is available to download. Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
          Andrei,

The issue of selecting Canadian official representatives to International Youth competitions was discussed in length by CFC Youth Committee a couple of years ago.

The Committee recommendations are:
          1) All 3 top CYCC finishers may participate in all 3 International Youth competitions;
          2) Every player may choose 1 tournament to be Canadian official representative;
          3) The selection order is according to the place at CYCC: the winner has first choice, 2nd place finisher - second choice, and the 3rd place finisher - third.

Usually the winner chooses WYCC, 2nd place finisher - Pan-American YCC, and 3rd place finisher - North American YCC.
          But this year, with WYCC at Christmas time and Pan-American YCC just a week after CYCC, I won't be surprised if many 2nd place finishers and even some WYCC Champions would choose North American YCC in Toronto instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Excellent. Is there a tournament flyer that I can spread around? :)
            This could potentially be a BIG turnout. What is the capacity of the Chestnut Conference Centre?
            Hi Bob,

We should have the flyer shortly. The Chestnut's Grand Ballroom,
            really gorgeous, can take 500, we also have additional space to expand.
            Yes, we're looking at an exciting event, it's generally billed as the North
            American Youth Chess Festival - Canada must really rock this year!

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Scarborough CC is about 1/2 juniors now, so I'd put out some flyers for the NAYCC at our club - let us know when one is available to download. Thanks.

Bob A
              Thanks Bob, yes, hope to have the flyer in circulation shortly :-)
              I'm sure your trail-blazing TCN will provide excellent coverage!

Given the current boom in Canadian youth chess, we're looking
              at providing a large and strong opposition to the inevitable surge
              of master-level youth that will be flocking here from the south! :-)

Francis

Comment

There's a limited number of official representatives, but all kids can participate (and it's a great opportunity).

Thanks Felix. Yes, it's open to all kids, and an awesome
                opportunity to gain CM titles, rub shoulders with North
                America's finest, and enjoy four days of top-class chess!

Francis

Comment

That seems to be the case based on the info I received from a parent yesterday. Obviously the CFC decides this.

Comment

It is more complicated than automatic "3th place goes to the NAYC".

Read this explanation of the rules: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...0351#post20351

As Felix pointed, the link only for CFC Governors. sorry.
                    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 6th May, 2013, 02:52 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      It is more complicated then automatic "3th place goes to the NAYC".

Read this explanation of the rules: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...0351#post20351
                      This post can only be viewed by governors. However, there's nothing confidential in it, so here's what Michael Barron wrote (pretty much similar to what he previously wrote):
                      Every one of 3 CYCC winners can be an official representative at one of 3 international events by their choice:
                      the CYCC winner is the first choice,
                      the 2nd place winner is the second choice, and
                      the 3rd place winner is the third choice.

In this particular case of 2012 CYCC Under 14 Girls:
                      the CYCC winner - Agniya Pobereshnikova,
                      the 2nd place winner - Melissa Giblon, and
                      the 3rd place winner - Rachel Tao.

Agniya chose WYCC,
                      now it's Melissa's turn to choose.

Just to clarify:
                      All 3 CYCC winners could play at all 3 events, but could be an official representative only at one of them.

Comment

This post can only be viewed by governors. However, there's nothing confidential in it, so here's what Michael Barron wrote (pretty much similar to what he previously wrote):
                        I have no problem with any of this.

Obviously I would have preferred that the top place finishers of the 2013 CYCC could opt to be the official reps at the 2013 NAYCC...but I am only a pawn in this game :).

Let me see if I understand...a youngster qualifies for the 2013 NAYCC based on their result at the CYCC - July 2012...a year ago...and now may get to play in a section they never participated in as they are now older...call me stupid...duh :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Obviously I would have preferred that the top place finishers of the 2013 CYCC could opt to be the official reps at the 2013 NAYCC...but I am only a pawn in this game :).

Let me see if I understand...a youngster qualifies for the 2013 NAYCC based on their result at the CYCC - July 2012...a year ago...and now may get to play in a section they never participated in as they are now older...call me stupid...duh :)

Larry
                          You have a good point Larry.

What would be your solution in the case of a youngster that finished on 3rd place last year CYCC, where the champion was the official Canadian representative in Slovenia WYCC, the 2nd place winner was the official Canadian representative at PanAmerican Youth and he/she is now to old to participate in that section?

Andrei

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Larry
                            It is not clear if it's last year's CYCC that qualifies for the 2013 NAYCC or this year's CYCC. I guess someone will have to clarify that.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: 2013 North American Youth Championship

It is not clear if it's last year's CYCC that qualifies for the 2013 NAYCC or this year's CYCC. I guess someone will have to clarify that.
                              Some facts:

2012 CYCC - July 3-6 2012

* WYCC - November 2012
                              * Pan American Youth Championships 2012 Lima, Peru 21-Jul-2012 30-Jul-2012
                              * North American Youth Chess Championship - Mexico May 31-June 4 2012

If a player wins a personal right to participate in a championship (WYCC) - FIDE gives that player the right even he/she changes the age category meantime.

Comment

You have a good point Larry.

What would be your solution in the case of a youngster that finished on 3rd place last year CYCC, where the champion was the official Canadian representative in Slovenia WYCC, the 2nd place winner was the official Canadian representative at PanAmerican Youth and he/she is now to old to participate in that section?

Andrei
                                Honestly, If I were the CFC (which thank God I am not :) I would allow the 2012 qualifiers to play in the 2013 NAYCC as they were promised that perk. As the CFC I would absorb that cost....afterall money was made last year...so it is no as though they have to break open a piggy bank here :). In otherwords...if you promise something you are obliged to make it happen.

More important is 2013: If I were the CFC I would eat the cost of the 2012 qualifiers. I would tell the 2013 CYCC qualifiers...you will be our official reps...and CMA will will be stuck with that bill :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X