X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Junior by Michael Kleinman

(284) Kleinman,Michael (2368) - Preotu,Razvan (2300) [B31]
    2012–13 Canadian Junior Chess Champions Toronto (2), 26.12.2012
    The year's Canadian Junior was a strong 10–player round robin. It was a well organized even by the Chess'n Math Association, which I would gladly play again next year. The event was run at the Britton House Retirement Home, and the venue was quiet and spacious.
    In the end, Richard Wang emerged victorious after beating me in a critical game in the 8th round. I was planning on annotating that game, but it already appeared in the CFC newsletter. The game I decided to annotate was my round 2 game against Razvan Preotu. It was an interesting positional battle, which I believe is instructive. 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 g6 4.Bxc6 dxc6 5.h3
    XABCDEFGHY 8r+lwqkvlntr( 7zpp+-zpp+p' 6-+p+-+p+& 5+-zp-+-+-% 4-+-+P+-+$ 3+-+-+N+P# 2PzPPzP-zPP+" 1tRNvLQmK-+R! xabcdefghy
    In my opinion, this is the most flexible move, because it prevents Black from having the option of placing the bishop on g4. The next few moves are typical of this sort of position. Black cements his space by playing e5, while trying to place the g8 knight to f4 via f6-d7-f8-e6 5...Bg7 6.d3 Nf6 7.Nc3 b6 8.Be3 Nd7 9.Qd2 e5 10.a3 The idea here is to play b4, and open up my rook even at the expense of undoubling my opponent's weak pawns [10.Bh6 0–0 11.0–0–0 is possible as well] 10...a5 [For example: 10...0–0 11.b4 cxb4 12.axb4 Qe7 13.Ne2²] 11.0–0 0–0 12.Bh6 Re8 13.Ne2
    XABCDEFGHY 8r+lwqr+k+( 7+-+n+pvlp' 6-zpp+-+pvL& 5zp-zp-zp-+-% 4-+-+P+-+$ 3zP-+P+N+P# 2-zPPwQNzPP+" 1tR-+-+RmK-! xabcdefghy
    This move gives me the opportunity of playing b4, as well as putting my queen on c313...Nf8 14.Bxg7 Kxg7 15.Qc3 Qd6 16.Nd2 At this point we can see that the opening went nicely for White, and I enjoyed a small but permanent advantages. 16...Be6 17.f4 f6 18.Rf2 Nd7 19.Raf1 Rad8 20.Nc4?! [20.f5 gxf5 21.exf5 Bd5 22.Ng3 Analysis Diagram
    XABCDEFGHY 8-+-trr+-+( 7+-+n+-mkp' 6-zppwq-zp-+& 5zp-zplzpP+-% 4-+-+-+-+$ 3zP-wQP+-sNP# 2-zPPsN-tRP+" 1+-+-+RmK-! xabcdefghy
    was suggested by the computer, and seems like a ice way to place my pieces] 20...Bxc4 21.Qxc4 exf4 22.Rxf4 b5 23.Qc3 b4 The idea is interesting; my opponent wants to play b3 at some point, sacrificing his pawn, but destroying my pawn structure 24.Qb3 Qe6 25.Qxe6 Rxe6 26.b3! This move secures the pawn structure 26...Nb6 [26...a4 looks interesting, but: 27.bxa4 seems to just keep the pawn] 27.Ra1 A nice finesse, forcing the black rook to move to a8 27...Ra8 28.a4 [28.axb4 cxb4 29.Nd4 Rd6] 28...Rd8 29.Rf3 Re5 30.Ng3 Rf8 31.Kf2 Rf7 32.Nf1 f5 33.exf5 gxf5 34.Re3 Rxe3 35.Nxe3 Kf6 36.Rf1 Ke5 37.Ke2 f4 38.g3 h5
    XABCDEFGHY 8-+-+-+-+( 7+-+-+r+-' 6-snp+-+-+& 5zp-zp-mk-+p% 4Pzp-+-zp-+$ 3+P+PsN-zPP# 2-+P+K+-+" 1+-+-+R+-! xabcdefghy
    39.gxf4+? [39.Ng2 was my original idea, but I couldnt see a continuation after 39...Nd5 . It turns out that 40.gxf4+ Nxf4+ 41.Kd2 Rf8 42.Ne3± is almost winning due to all of black's weaknesses] 39...Rxf4 40.Rg1 With this move, I threw away all of my advantage [40.Rxf4 Kxf4 41.Kf2 And there may still be some chances to convert this endgame... though Black should be able to hold] 40...Kd4 41.Rg6 Nd5 42.Nc4 Kc3 43.Rxc6 Kxc2 44.Rxc5 Nc3+ 45.Ke3 Rh4 46.Nxa5 And a repetition could follow:
    46...Rxh3+ 47.Kd4 Rh4+ 48.Ke3 This game was somewhat disappointing to fail to convert. The opening went well, giving me the advantage I was hoping for, but I went wrong at the critical point when I was very close to a full point. ½–½

Re: Canadian Junior by Michael Kleinman

Attached is the pgn with annotations, it should make the analysis clearer.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Junior by Michael Kleinman

Originally posted by Michael Kleinman View Post
      Attached is the pgn with annotations, it should make the analysis clearer.
      Thanks Michael, it's much better with the PGN file. I remember watching this game live and thinking it was a nice candidate for an analysis.

Comment

Canadian Junior by BC Junior Champion

.... nobody invited!

Comment

Re: Canadian Junior by BC Junior Champion

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
          .... nobody invited!
          6 players were chosen by CFC rating. No B.C. players made the cut. Most if not all B.C. events are CFC rated. Maybe B.C. should host the next event...put in a bid...but make sure Ken requires CFC membership for the Championship...duh (do you agree with his position?).

I have no problem sitting out the next one if B.C. is interested.

Step forward and show us how it should be done!

Larry

Comment

Most if not all B.C. events are CFC rated.

Larry

Did you mean are not rated? Seems confusing...
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Most if not all B.C. events are CFC rated.

Larry

Did you mean are not rated? Seems confusing...
              Most if not all BC "Youth and Junior" events are not being CFC rated.

Exception: Victoria, BC - where the CYCC qualifier today was CFC rated.

Also most adult events in BC are indeed CFC rated. The current policy of the organization that runs most events in the youth category are under the operation of a separate corporation called BC Junior Chess Association http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Junior by BC Junior Champion

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

Also most adult events in BC are indeed CFC rated. The current policy of the organization that runs most events in the youth category are under the operation of a separate corporation called BC Junior Chess Association http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/
                Usually kids do not win much rating points in youth events, so it doesn't actually matter. In fact, top kids tend to lose rating points quite often in such tournaments, so it might even be better for their rating.

BC top ranked junior is ranked 17th in Canada (quite far from the top 6 players).

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post

Ohh I missed this.

You mean after the 2012 CYCC the B.C. chess mafia is now boycotting the CFC! :).

So let me see if I understand correctly. Andrei wants us to pick B.C. players even though B.C. (with the exception of Victoria) does not rate their events with either organization that was involved with the Canadian Junior. Hmmm....

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    So let me see if I understand correctly. Andrei wants us to pick B.C. players even though B.C. (with the exception of Victoria) does not rate their events with either organization that was involved with the Canadian Junior. Hmmm....

Larry
                    Hi Larry,

The only thing that I am pointing to is that the CFC board of directors + CFC Governors did not follow CFC handbook when they accepted CMA bid for Canadian Junior.

Your decision not to invite any of the BC junior chess players multiple times CMA and/or CYCC champions was correct based on CMA bid. The CFC handbook is mentioning invitation for each provincial champion, so just one invitation for ONE BC player, but of course you can invite as many as you like.

Andrei
                    Last edited by Andrei Botez; Wednesday, 3rd April, 2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Re: Canadian Junior by Michael Kleinman

This discussion interests me in that I met with some BC chess parents at the Grand Pacific Open who felt that BC juniors were under-rated compared to Ont juniors and Larry's non-invitation was mentioned by one of them.
                      They probably have a point, mostly because (rated) chess activity among BC juniors is significantly lower than Ont juniors however, regional differences are somewhat hard to prove.
                      My expectation is that the new bonus point formula will help narrow that gap because a talented player's rating will rise much faster now.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Hi Larry,

The only thing that I am pointing to is that the CFC board of directors + CFC Governors did not follow CFC handbook when they accepted CMA bid for Canadian Junior.

Your decision not to invite any of the BC junior chess players multiple times CMA and/or CYCC champions was correct based on CMA bid. The CFC handbook is mentioning invitation for each provincial champion, so just one invitation for ONE BC player, but of course you can invite as many as you like.

Andrei
                        As I recall the CFC Governors approved this bid near unanimously, despite the fact that it did not conform to the standard set of rules in the Handbook. This is not the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last.

It wasn't just BC that lost the "right" to send it's champion, but all of the other 5 regions, as well. BC is well represented on the CFC Board of Governors, and had an opportunity at that time to speak out.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Junior by BC Junior Champion

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          BC top ranked junior is ranked 17th in Canada (quite far from the top 6 players).
                          Hi Felix,

If you consider CFC ratings you are correct.

Let's look at top 10 Canadians for FIDE ratings:

1. Wang, Richard 2376 (AB)
                          2. Jiang, Louie 2324 (QC)
                          3. Kleinman, Michael 2302 (ON)
                          4. Sapozhnikov, Roman 2294 (ON)
                          5. Laceste, Loren Brigham 2290 (BC) - 17th on CFC rating list
                          6. Qin, Zi Yi (Joey) 2284 (ON) - 1st on CFC rating list
                          7. Calugar, Arthur 2267 (ON)
                          8. Kraiouchkine, Nikita 2232 (QC)
                          9. Awatramani, Janak 2212 (BC) - U-14 #23 World rank
                          10. Preotu, Razvan 2193 (ON)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Junior by BC Junior Champion

Hi Felix,

If you consider CFC ratings you are correct.

Let's look at top 10 Canadians for FIDE ratings:

1. Wang, Richard 2376 (AB)
                            2. Jiang, Louie 2324 (QC)
                            3. Kleinman, Michael 2302 (ON)
                            4. Sapozhnikov, Roman 2294 (ON)
                            5. Laceste, Loren Brigham 2290 (BC) - 17th on CFC rating list
                            6. Qin, Zi Yi (Joey) 2284 (ON) - 1st on CFC rating list
                            7. Calugar, Arthur 2267 (ON)
                            8. Kraiouchkine, Nikita 2232 (QC)
                            9. Awatramani, Janak 2212 (BC) - U-14 #23 World rank
                            10. Preotu, Razvan 2193 (ON)
                            You are right on this. I didn't check FIDE ratings. It makes little doubt that CFC ratings are not at all an indicator of a player's strength, but the bid was based on it.

CMA could have invited a BC player, but it would have cost much more money than inviting an Ontario kid (and the tournament seemed to already be expensive for CMA)... Maybe the BC association should have done like the Quebec association and participate financially in the organization of the tournament in exchange for a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                              As I recall the CFC Governors approved this bid near unanimously, despite the fact that it did not conform to the standard set of rules in the Handbook. This is not the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last.

It wasn't just BC that lost the "right" to send it's champion, but all of the other 5 regions, as well. BC is well represented on the CFC Board of Governors, and had an opportunity at that time to speak out.
                              RESULTS OF E-MAIL VOTING:

Question 1. Do you support the 2013 Canadian Junior being awarded to the CMA?

Motion 1: To accept the CMA Canadian Junior 2013 bid:

Yes (27) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Fred McKim Gordon Ritchie Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Kevin Pacey Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Robert Laszlo Simon Ong Vlad Rekhson Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec Brian Fiedler, Iulia Lacau-Rodean

No (2) Maurice Smith Valer Eugen Demian

Abstain (1) Michael von Keitz

BID APPROVED

Comment

Working...
                              X