Wenlu Yu: 33 days, 737 rating points!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenlu Yu: 33 days, 737 rating points!

I know that the ratings of juniors can rise quickly.

But I'm still amazed by the ascent of Wenlu Yu, who picked up 737 rating points between March 12 and April 14 of this year. Moving from 1129 to his current rating of 1866. During this time he played 26 games in 6 events.

How often does someone jump four rating classes in one month?

Re : Wenlu Yu: 33 days, 737 rating points!

Originally posted by Walter De Jong View Post

But I'm still amazed by the ascent of Wenlu Yu, who picked up 737 rating points between March 12 and April 14 of this year. Moving from 1129 to his current rating of 1866. During this time he played 26 games in 6 events.

He didn't play in any CFC-rated tournament for three years. He probably played somewhere else and got better during these three years.

Comment

Re: Re : Wenlu Yu: 33 days, 737 rating points!

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      He didn't play in any CFC-rated tournament for three years. He probably played somewhere else and got better during these three years.
      I asked him about this in Niagara Falls last weekend. He was in China for three years, and if I remember right, he didn't play anyone during that time. He did solve a lot of tactical puzzles, though...

Comment

Re: Wenlu Yu: 33 days, 737 rating points!

Possibly the rating statistician can give a reply.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Re : Wenlu Yu: 33 days, 737 rating points!

I asked him
          How old is he?
          It might be that he is picking up very fast and his age allows jim to process everything properly.

Comment

CFC inflation or not, that's pretty damn impressive, his rating performances recently have been extraordinary
            Shameless self-promotion on display here
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Not to be contrary, but I don't see the amazement...

737 rating points in 6 tournaments would be more impressive if he played tournaments throughout that 3-year gap and couldn't break 1200, then took a short break (2-3 months), and then came back to gain those points after some lessons or reading, etc.

Or if he was 2129 and gained half of those points after a 3-year break.

But to go anywhere from 1129 is not all that impressive, especially when you consider there was a 3-year break. Had he not played the tournaments back in 2010, he would have gone from unrated to roughly 1871 in those same 6 tournaments (only a 5-point difference), and who really reports on someone's first permanent rating being A-class, unless he's fairly young?

Jordan
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                Not to be contrary, but I don't see the amazement...

737 rating points in 6 tournaments would be more impressive if he played tournaments throughout that 3-year gap and couldn't break 1200, then took a short break (2-3 months), and then came back to gain those points after some lessons or reading, etc.

Or if he was 2129 and gained half of those points after a 3-year break.

But to go anywhere from 1129 is not all that impressive, especially when you consider there was a 3-year break. Had he not played the tournaments back in 2010, he would have gone from unrated to roughly 1871 in those same 6 tournaments (only a 5-point difference), and who really reports on someone's first permanent rating being A-class, unless he's fairly young?

Jordan
                A 2100 performance is pretty spectacular, when considering his rating is 1100. From personal experience - reaching 2100+ strength/performance is pretty tough when you don't have any tournaments to play in. I'm guessing it took you a lot more than 33 tournament games to reach 1900+.
                i rep back 3+

Comment

I had a quick look and the bonus point formula appears to have been applied correctly. The last 3 events where he really moved into high gear were very reputable events with adult and junior opposition for him. He appears to merit his new rating although time will tell. I consider this good news since he got to an accurate level without prolonging the agony for his opponents (sorry Steve Demmery!)
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X