Improving in Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving in Chess

Hello Chesstalk, I was just wondering what everyone thinks are some of the best ways to improve your chess. I've basically only studied using books and I've managed to get from 1300 to 2200 cfc but I feel like books can only take you so far and I want to get actually good at chess.

A few ideas of my own:

1) Classical Games (this is always thrown around but I have no idea where to start any particular matches that have influenced people's knowledge of the game greatly?)

2) A coach (Coaches are probably the easiest/fastest way to improve in chess but also the most costly)

3)Tournaments (Tournaments where every game you play a stronger opponent than you are probably the best for helping your chess development, especially if you analyze with your opponents after the game)
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Re: Improving in Chess

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
    Hello Chesstalk, I was just wondering what everyone thinks are some of the best ways to improve your chess. I've basically only studied using books and I've managed to get from 1300 to 2200 cfc but I feel like books can only take you so far and I want to get actually good at chess.

A few ideas of my own:

1) Classical Games (this is always thrown around but I have no idea where to start any particular matches that have influenced people's knowledge of the game greatly?)

2) A coach (Coaches are probably the easiest/fastest way to improve in chess but also the most costly)

3)Tournaments (Tournaments where every game you play a stronger opponent than you are probably the best for helping your chess development, especially if you analyze with your opponents after the game)
    The first question to ask yourself is why you want to get better at chess

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
      The first question to ask yourself is why you want to get better at chess
      Good point Andy.

My suggestion is see if you can do a university exchange overseas and then play in FIDE tournaments in Europe. In many cases, depending on your major, you can study in English. Of course if you do the exchange in England but even in France, Germany etc. If you are interested check your university exchange listings. If you can afford it, do a year and spend the two reading weeks, Christmas and summer holidays playing. Of course, you may want to enjoy travelling Europe as well, so this might test how hardcore a chessplayer you are. Then you might be able to answer Andy's question, if you can't now.

Comment

Re : Improving in Chess

A few ideas of my own:

Having a coach is definitely the best idea. However, as you pointed out, it is costly.
        The problem is that you can reach a rating of 2200 without really caring about your weaknesses. You only need to get better at calculating variations, learning some opening/endgames and play a lot. Once you reach a certain level, though, it's really important to carefully analyze your games and find out what are your main weaknesses and try to work on that... It's much easier to do that with a coach, but many FIDE title players managed to do it by themselves. However, it requires a lot of time and motivation to do that without a coach.

Comment

Re: Re : Improving in Chess

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          Having a coach is definitely the best idea. However, as you pointed out, it is costly.
          The problem is that you can reach a rating of 2200 without really caring about your weaknesses. You only need to get better at calculating variations, learning some opening/endgames and play a lot. Once you reach a certain level, though, it's really important to carefully analyze your games and find out what are your main weaknesses and try to work on that... It's much easier to do that with a coach, but many FIDE title players managed to do it by themselves. However, it requires a lot of time and motivation to do that without a coach.
          This is a very good point, the elimination of weaknesses is the best way to improve, are there possible book sources that use this idea? Because I've greatly benefitted from reading silman's book however even if you properly know the imbalances the evaluation of the resulting imbalances is the most important, and not having other glaring weaknesses.
          University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Re: Re : Improving in Chess

This is a very good point, the elimination of weaknesses is the best way to improve, are there possible book sources that use this idea? Because I've greatly benefitted from reading silman's book however even if you properly know the imbalances the evaluation of the resulting imbalances is the most important, and not having other glaring weaknesses.
            Books by Alexander Kotov such as Think Like a GM and Play Like a GM describe him going through this process of analyzing his own weaknesses.

Comment

Go through your 50 most recent games. Try to discover your weaknesses as a player and as a person.

Then hire someone clearly stronger than you are to go through the same games. See if they reach the same conclusions. If they do, great. If not, discuss.

At that point they will probably suggest you to do X, Y and Z to improve.

Do what they tell you.

Many stumble at that last hurdle.
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Hi Rene, how did your son Razvan make a huge jump in his CFC?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                  Go through your 50 most recent games. Try to discover your weaknesses as a player and as a person.

Then hire someone clearly stronger than you are to go through the same games. See if they reach the same conclusions. If they do, great. If not, discuss.

At that point they will probably suggest you to do X, Y and Z to improve.

Do what they tell you.

I consider having a coach to go through post game analysis of one game is an expensive use of time and money. I love this approach. Get the larger picture of systemic errors.

On one's one we have blind spots and develop bad assumptions which never get challenged, but may be clear to another strong player. Training may require playing openings one dislikes or boring repetition of endgame technique. Today's Grandmasters are generalist, have to be able to be flexible to win in a variety of ways and types of positions. Also skills like preparation and time management.

Comment

Like Felix related, getting to 2200 (or even 2300 - the typical mastery level of the rudiments of chess according to Kevin Spraggett) is not so unachievable for anyone, despite what many class players might think.

In fact, an old article in a CFC magazine that I recall featured an East European chess figure (whose name I don't recall) offering a scientific(?) study suggesting 2450+ was the minimum ceiling anyone might hope to achieve in their life, even with a total lack of talent, if they worked at chess all out (and were coached, perhaps[?]).

The advice given in this thread about analyzing one's own games to improve further, even at a higher level, long ago received emphasis from Botvinnik. Advice to eliminate one's weak points as a player goes back at least as far as Lasker/Alekhine I seem to recall.

One tip I got long ago from IM Raymond Stone did not originate with him, I seem to recall, but it still seemed plausible. Namely, to get from 2300+ level to 2400+ level, one should work through a lot of endgame studies.

I have a number of concrete ideas on how to significantly improve my own chess rating (2200+ currently), even at my age (somewhat past 50). I did a similar sort of chess self-analysis Tom suggested, without a stronger player's opinion afterwards. In my case I merely took a sample of certain of my recent games and counted up and categorized the type of major mistakes I made that cost me points, or half-points, and drew conclusions. I figured, worry about correcting less costly minor weaknesses sometime later.

I wanted to know how to improve my rating that is, all without leaving Ottawa to search for very tough opposition on an even more regular basis, which could improve my strength even more. However, for a long time, and at the moment, I am only willing to do the easiest of these things, and so for some time my rating has more or less stagnated.

More specifically, what study I currently do is (in a typical week) is very largely computer checking of my tournament games, preparing opening ideas or what to play vs. certain opponents if I can, and one night away from home watching a study partner friend (rated 2000+) play through a mutually selected dataset (approx. 30+ a week) of games from some specific opening line in his basement (while I sip on a cold one :) ). I [re-]learn some tactical patterns from this, at the very least.

What I refuse to do for the moment, at least, is play through tactical puzzles for half an hour each night (to restrengthen my tactical skills to at least what they used to be), or go out and buy an endgame studies book (after selling one already) to do the same routine each night for another half an hour, or try to improve physically any faster than what little I do.

I also haven't gone through games collections of any players I might try to emulate, for many years. I haven't brushed up on strategy by studying books on such (though I think once you reach master level, books on such commonly teach little that is truly new to you). At the moment, my games are usually not decided in the endgame, if one is reached, and the vast percentage of my lost [half-]points are not due to a weakness of my endgame play (at least if I have such, it is seldom exposed :) ).

Note that almost 25% of my lost [half-]points are due to serious reverses in the opening stage of the game, but I would speculate this is probably normal (or even good) at any level of play. Tactical/calculation errors are the cause of about 50% of lost [half-]points, based on my sample of my recent games, anyway.
                    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 21st April, 2013, 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

BTW, when I mean "weakness as a person" I mean things that are not directly related to chess.

Examples:

- poor diet
                      - sleep poorly during tournaments or in general
                      - lousy memory for details
                      - overly optimistic/pessimistic

Anything that could affect your performance but aren't things that you would likely learn from any amount of chess study.
                      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

At that point they will probably suggest you to o X, Y and Z to improve.
                        Do what they tell you.
                        Get a buddy who would be willing to improve with you (like a study group)

and whatever number books/magazines/articles you'll read, you still MUST play regularly and in -100+300 rating points tournaments (and with a time control you wish to excel :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                          Hi Rene, how did your son Razvan make a huge jump in his CFC?
                          By following Adam's ideas in this order: 2) 1) 3)

Comment

Hey Adam,

Cool question!

Just a few thoughts. Just my opinion, anyone is free to disagree.

First off, although we've only played once (a game I will treasure forever lol), I like following your progress as we've tended to develop at a similar pace.

Second, 2200 is very impressive and I strongly disagree that calculation alone is good enough to get a rating like that.

SO, let me reminisce about my own progress, and where I believe the next step is...

Like you, I started about three years ago. I don't think it's boasting to say I was a natural talent, as my first rating was well over 1800. What do I attribute the early success to? Tactics. I went 2/5 in my first tournament, and in both of my wins I was much worse but was able to sharpen the game and win tactically.

After this my next plateau was mid 2000's. How did I get there? I believe it was because I started studying openings intensively (much like you, again). The common advice to not study openings until you have a master rating may only be partially true. Any knowledge is good knowledge, and I can think of many losses where a little extra opening knowledge would have won me the game. I can't say the same about endgames, not as often anyway. The advice is partially true, though, as my progress slowed a little bit.

My climb from 2000 to 2100 felt very slow. I believe the climb was due to more tournament experience. Playing in the Canadian open and closed helped me develop a tenacity I didn't have before. I'm not sure if you've ever had this problem. It's different living in a city where I only get to play 1700's...I think my games at the Canadian open and Canadian closed were key to my eventual jump to 2200. Beating Lawrence Day helped me trust my concrete calculation, getting killed by Artem Samsonkin (in Hamilton) taught me that playing scared is like resigning without playing, and then declining a draw by repetition against Tomas Krnan (even though I went on to lose badly) gave me the will to win that is very likely why I've recently done so well (as have you).

So what happened recently that caused me to jump to 2200? Well, I got bored with openings, started playing all sorts of different stuff, and suddenly found I was getting good at playing positions I knew nothing about before! Combine this with the fact that my past tournament experience has increased my determination to play well, while simultaneously calming my bad habit of trying to over calculate a position and insist on forcing lines, and suddenly you have a player who is comfortable with almost any position. My most recent Hart House tournament rewarded this when I managed to go 4.5/5 in the U2200 section, all from roughly equal positions out of the opening. The key for me was just being more comfortable at the board!

This leads me to my point: where to go from here. I think the most beneficial thing for my chess to date has been practical tournament experience. Training tactics has been the second most useful key. Openings have also been very useful, but the reward hasn't always been worth the effort.

In the future, I think I'm going to stick to what I've been doing all along... I'm going to study something I'm passionate about. I feel you learn best when you are really interested. A focused study plan hasn't done it for me, but those days when Karsten Mueller's chessbase endgame videos captivate me for 8+ hours have been invaluable, as the information sticks with me forever.

(Very) Long story short, I wouldn't focus too hard on improving. Rather, focus on making learning new ideas fun, the same way you found the Najdorf fun back when you were working through Kasparov's dvd's. I know that stuff stuck with you...

And, all said, as every GM I've ever asked has said, if in doubt... Go study tactics.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                              By following Adam's ideas in this order: 2) 1) 3)
                              Very nice. What book was he using for classical games?

Comment

Working...
                              X