CFC activity redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC activity redux

just over 2 years ago, I published some stats on CFC activity. I decided to update some of those graphs as I was interested in the substantial increase in tournament attendance in BC.

Unhappily, the downward trend of the last 15 years has continued. You can see the result for Canada as a whole below. Graphs for the individual provinces are at:
    www.victoriachess.com/cfc/activity_update.htm

some points to remember:

1) for the provinces, the activity count includes people from out of province who played in an event. So, to figure out trends for a province, you should subtract out things like the Canadian Open or CYCC which appear as a broad spike (and are pretty obvious).

2) The recent data for the Canada graph below includes the effects of the agreement with the FQE. These players are not of course new members or even new players but represent previously unrecognized activity. So, the graph for Canada for the last few years is actually worse than the appearance (i.e. subtract out the effects of the FQE agreement).

3) as for my interest, BC, tournament attendance has been up sharply but in fact the total number of active players has remained flat. So we have not succeeded in increasing the number of players - they are just playing more often (which makes sense - I had previous data that BC players played less than the national average, probably due to a lack of tournaments at the time) (although in comparison to the national trend, staying flat is a success...)

4) several provinces have managed to stay more or less constant and buck the national trend.

Re: CFC activity redux

"rip Sk" :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      just over 2 years ago, I published some stats on CFC activity. I decided to update some of those graphs as I was interested in the substantial increase in tournament attendance in BC.

3) as for my interest, BC, tournament attendance has been up sharply but in fact the total number of active players has remained flat. So we have not succeeded in increasing the number of players - they are just playing more often (which makes sense - I had previous data that BC players played less than the national average, probably due to a lack of tournaments at the time) (although in comparison to the national trend, staying flat is a success...)
      Hi Roger,

Can you break BC data by age: <21 and >21

Comment

Re : CFC activity redux

Last year, I think there were three CFC/FIDE rated tournaments in Quebec (on 250 tournaments). This year, there should probably be about 10 of them (only the biggests), so it should definitely have an impact on the CFC's statistics.

Last time I checked, the number of FQE members had been the same for the last 15 years or so (which is neither bad or good I guess)... I don't know how many are active though. Internet surely doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
          Hi Roger,

Can you break BC data by age: <21 and >21
          no. The CFC database is pretty hit or miss on whether birthdates are recorded. I figured it out once - not sure if my memory is good on the precise figure but less than 50% of players have a birthdate.

Comment

I forgot to add,

- this is for regular rated games activity only.

- the rating auditor has been pretty successful in converting scholastic events from the regular rating system to the active rating system. Graphs for those rated below 1200 are down sharply. (I assume that those rated >1200 are mostly also playing in regular rated game events)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              Graphs for the individual provinces are at:
              www.victoriachess.com/cfc/activity_update.htm
              I hope this isn't as silly as it sounds, but the 2001-2 spike in the New Brunswick numbers suggests that a way to (temporarily) revive Sask is to run a Canadian Open there.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                I hope this isn't as silly as it sounds, but the 2001-2 spike in the New Brunswick numbers suggests that a way to (temporarily) revive Sask is to run a Canadian Open there.
                I'm not sure we would survive the loss of the spike in areas where it would do more good.

Comment

Big drops seems to coincide with the rise of the internet, the games-not-being-rated period, and the loss of the printed magazine ( and more importantly IMHO the loss of hard deadlines for event advertising )
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Since the number of people playing over the board chess has dramatically increased!!!
                    The challenge is to entice them toward the CFC...
                    Just in Ontario every week at least 6000 people play a (OTB) game and this number is increasing...

Comment

Working...
                    X