The new CCN: I don't like it because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The new CCN: I don't like it because...

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    As mentioned in the newsletter, the lack of ratings means a gap in the continuity of rating comparisons (or "snapshots"). If you don't want to put it in the newsletter, how about a link to monthly lists of all players? There is a monthly Newsletter archive - how about a monthly Rating List archive?
    A better way of showing ratings for different dates is for there to be a webpage that queries the cfc database. Faster, simpler, and less work.

Comment

For my Montreal blitz ratings (which I have been doing for years), I can create a complete rating list for any date (in the past) on demand. I append to a file - after each event - name, (new) rating, and date (of event) - plus any other fields (such as wins and losses) that I might need for a report. From there, I can do a search for all players whose "event date" is on (or prior to) a given date, and produce a list.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        My initial impression is favourable but I am having a hard time liking the red diagrams and the very bright and very yellow post-it notes...
        Comments about content will have to wait until I get into the content quite a bit more thoroughly. You surely cannot please everyone,
        but it is very commendable. Content is King - you must be able to pay for, cajole, harass or trick people into providing quality content...
        Best of luck and regards.
        I thought the post-it notes added a great level of professionalism to the product.

The use of coloured diagrams is interesting, but certainly is not unique.

Certainly, anybody wanting to print it off, could stick to a black and white printer.

I remember I used to religiously print off CCN when Tony first started it, and then had a bunch of them bound - but, I'm thinking now it's much easier to just have them available via the computer. My almost complete collection of earlier CFC magazines is still sitting in the garage - I guess until such time as we finish the scanning project.

Comment

I haven't received it by e-mail. Michael Yip's link doesn't work for me.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Paul. I can send it to you, but just go the CFC Newsfeed and hit the link. Michael's link isn't supposed to work.

We haven't started sending out notification of it's availability yet. Still getting up this past week's ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              - a few typos (I used to mark a lot of Black wins "1-0" too, so I sympathise)
              I have one like that in the databases. Shows my opponent as the winner. We played it by email. He sent me his move and then sent his resignation before I could reply. His position wasn't very good. Whoever entered it must have assumed because he moved last I lost. It was scored properly in the results which is what counts.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
              X