This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Maybe I missed the news, but lately I noticed that Wesley So is listed with federation "CAN" (Canadian) - especially in results shown on Susan Polgar's blog...
    I know that his parents live in Scarborough (or at least I have heard that...) and of course he will be attending Webster U. but what is with the federation change from PHI? I would think the FIDE transfer fees would be the same as the GDP of a small country, so I find it hard to believe he can be changing federations.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Yes, I posted this >>>> National Open - Las Vegas - now on page 3. What a great addition to our Olympiad team that would be!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Maybe I missed the news, but lately I noticed that Wesley So is listed with federation "CAN" (Canadian) - especially in results shown on Susan Polgar's blog...
      I know that his parents live in Scarborough (or at least I have heard that...) and of course he will be attending Webster U. but what is with the federation change from PHI? I would think the FIDE transfer fees would be the same as the GDP of a small country, so I find it hard to believe he can be changing federations.
      I am going to try to find out if Hal knows anything, or it is just some wishful thinking !

Comment

Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

They very often list players according to their addresses. Eric Hansen was listed as American in many tournaments. It has nothing to do with FIDE though. I doubt that Wesley So would be ready to pay $15 000+ to switch federations...

Comment

FIDE has Wesley So - and all players from the Philippines - listed as unrated. My guess is that the Philippines are in arrears to FIDE.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

I doubt that Wesley So would be ready to play for Canada even if somebody else takes care of FIDE transfer fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              FIDE has Wesley So - and all players from the Philippines - listed as unrated. My guess is that the Philippines are in arrears to FIDE.
              Most likely they owe FIDE. Here's where they could make a deal. Canada (the CFC) buys Wesley So and pays a fee to the Philippines chess federation and we get Wesley So. Unfortunately the CFC could only pay about fifty bucks. Ah well, too bad. Just a thought.

Comment

I thought the CFC with their foundation is a relatively wealthy federation.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  I thought the CFC with their foundation is a relatively wealthy federation.
                  The interest from the Foundation's holding is sent to the CFC every year and is considered part of the regular income.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                    I doubt that Wesley So would be ready to play for Canada even if somebody else takes care of FIDE transfer fee.
                    I remember reading on one of the News sites a couple of years ago that Wesley receives a "salary" from the Philippines Gov't/Sports Federation/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                      The interest from the Foundation's holding is sent to the CFC every year and is considered part of the regular income.
                      How much does the CFC have on deposit with the foundation from things like the sale of the Condo?

Who owns the foundation?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Unless Wesley So owns the foundation, that question is off topic.
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          How much does the CFC have on deposit with the foundation from things like the sale of the Condo?

Who owns the foundation?
                          1. While the Chess Foundation of Canada is a "subsidiary" of the CFC, it is controlled five Trustees, who are elected on a rotating basis at the CFC AGM.

2. Approximately $46,000

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Unless Wesley So owns the foundation, that question is off topic.
                            Kerry, in the context of Vlad's reply concerning the ability to pay, the question of the foundation's ownership is not off topic. IMHO.

The members should know the financial capabilities of their federation.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks for the information, Fred.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X