Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    W.So came and played in Canada in several tournaments. He even honored one weekend Open in Toronto. Or maybe he came just that his picture would be taken?! LOL

Yeah... and he cake-walked Toronto, Montreal and Calgary tourneys and won them all :)

Comment

"If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor" ... Albert Einstein

I'm for truth... and no, I am not Mike Duffy.

Comment

No doubt, W.So is a great chess player. Few other points from your posts look ... not exactly right.

1. " Philippines has more foreign reserves than Canada". So what? Why we can see huge immigration from Philippines to Canada (like from other developing countries like China, India, Russia... All those countries have great foreign reserves)? Why we almost don't see immigration from Canada to Philippines if Philippines is such a wealthy country?

2. "The Philippines B team could trounce the Canadian Olympic team anytime". Let's just look at the numbers. Average rating for top-5 PHI active players is 2593. Second team (6-10) has only 2495. Canadian top-5 team (Kovalyov, Hansen, Spraggett, Sambuev, Charbonneau) has average rating of 2544.

In one match everything could happen, but I don't see any significant advantage even for first PHI team, the second one is just lower rated. Actually without W.So first teams have almost the same rating.

3. "The phils has hosted a chess olympiad. Canada has not and never will". How do you know? Who told you? Canada has hosted 3 Olympiads (1976, 1988, 2010) and has everything to host the Chess Olympiad. If Canada will - it's another story.
        Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Tuesday, 29th October, 2013, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          Another example of a poster failing to use their full/real name when posting.
          Yes. And he's not building much goodwill toward the player he's writing about. Larry should delete those posts unless the person gives his real name.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            No doubt, W.So is a great chess player. Few other points from your posts look ... not exactly right.

1. " Philippines has more foreign reserves than Canada". So what? Why we can see huge immigration from Philippines to Canada (like from other developing countries like China, India, Russia... All those countries have great foreign reserves)? Why we almost don't see immigration from Canada to Philippines if Philippines is such a wealthy country?

2. "The Philippines B team could trounce the Canadian Olympic team anytime". Let's just look at the numbers. Average rating for top-5 PHI active players is 2593. Second team (6-10) has only 2495. Canadian top-5 team (Kovalyov, Hansen, Spraggett, Sambuev, Charbonneau) has average rating of 2544.

In one match everything could happen, but I don't see any significant advantage even for first PHI team, the second one is just lower rated. Actually without W.So first teams have almost the same rating.

3. "The phils has hosted a chess olympiad. Canada has not and never will". How do you know? Who told you? Canada has hosted 3 Olympiads (1976, 1988, 2010) and has everything to host the Chess Olympiad. If Canada will - it's another story.

1. OK. Perhaps you haven't gotten my point. It is arrogance for someone to say that the FIDE registration fee for Philippine players equals their GDP. This is humbug language. Now what I am saying is perhaps we do not know that Philippines have more foreign reserves than Canada. So let us not trumpet our horns and think for one minute before we diss another country. . FYI, Canada selects immigrants who have money and skills. If you are impoverished you have no chance of getting in. You can take this to the bank. And I am not talking about refugees.

don't belittle other countries because things are changing fast...

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2012/0...-2050-will-be/

If you take out the 2012 Olympiad players the Philippines B team averages 2530. There's no shortage of tournaments in Asia and these guys play a lot. These are all government sponsored events. Where have Canadian players won outside of their country lately ? Unless So, Li Chao and Ganguly immigrate here we're long ways to go.

3. out of context... I am talking CHESS OLYMPIAD. This is a chess FORUM remember ? I remember the Canadian chess team scrounging for private donations so its chess team can participate in the 2012 Olympiad in Istanbul.. It hurts to think than we can cancel gas plants and waste 1.2 billion dollars and not even send our chess players to the olympiad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus U View Post
              1. OK. Perhaps you haven't gotten my point. It is arrogance for someone to say that the FIDE registration fee for Philippine players equals their GDP.
              Do you read what is written? Look once more: "I would think the FIDE transfer fees would be the same as the GDP of a small country, so I find it hard to believe he can be changing federations."
              Where in this sentence mentioned PHILIPPINE GDP? Is Philippine a small country? LOL Larger than UK and many other countries, population is triple of CAN.

Somewhere over the time you lost sense of humor. ;)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Hi there,

We require real names and complete names (first and last) to post on this site. Please send me yours by e-mail to: bevand at chess-math dot org

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Take your time and read carefully the first post (even if it's not written in your first language). It is said the the fees should be the same as the GDP of a small country. Not of Philippines. And if anything, it was a criticism toward FIDE.
                  Nobody lacked of respect toward Wesley So or Philippines. You are the one being arrogant toward Canadians.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Do you read what is written? Look once more: "I would think the FIDE transfer fees would be the same as the GDP of a small country, so I find it hard to believe he can be changing federations."
                    Where in this sentence mentioned PHILIPPINE GDP? Is Philippine a small country? LOL Larger than UK and many other countries, population is triple of CAN.

Somewhere over the time you lost sense of humor. ;)
                    HOW ABOUT THIS COMMENT SOMEWHERE ON THE THREAD....

FIDE has Wesley So - and all players from the Philippines - listed as unrated. My guess is that the Philippines are in arrears to FIDE.

WESLEY SO IS UNRATED WITH FIDE ? AS WELL AS ALL PHILIPPINE PLAYERS ?? PHILIPPINES CAN'T PAY THE FIDE BILLS. ?? common !!!!!

Comment

WESLEY SO IS UNRATED WITH FIDE ? AS WELL AS ALL PHILIPPINE PLAYERS ?? PHILIPPINES CAN'T PAY THE FIDE BILLS. ?? common !!!!!
                      Not the first time and not the first country which did not pay their dues in time to FIDE and then FIDE simple unrated those federations' players.

Comment

Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

HOW ABOUT THIS COMMENT SOMEWHERE ON THE THREAD....

FIDE has Wesley So - and all players from the Philippines - listed as unrated. My guess is that the Philippines are in arrears to FIDE.

It is actually the truth. Gm So wanted to play in last year's Quebec Open, but couldn't as Philippines had not paid their FIDE fees. We talked to both him and his coach, and even though they seemed frustrated by the situation, they couldn't do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                          WESLEY SO IS UNRATED WITH FIDE ? AS WELL AS ALL PHILIPPINE PLAYERS ?? PHILIPPINES CAN'T PAY IT'S FIDE BILLS. ?? common !!!!!

Comment

Check the date of my posting. Obviously, the problem has been settled.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Maybe I missed the news, but lately I noticed that Wesley So is listed with federation "CAN" (Canadian) - especially in results shown on Susan Polgar's blog...
                              I know that his parents live in Scarborough (or at least I have heard that...) and of course he will be attending Webster U. but what is with the federation change from PHI? I would think the FIDE transfer fees would be the same as the GDP of a small country, so I find it hard to believe he can be changing federations.

Whatever was true when the original post by Kerry was entered, Wesley So is now listed as Filipino, and all the other top Filipino players are also listed, so, presumably, any arrears in payment (that may have existed) has been sorted out with FIDE.

Wesley So FIDE card

Phillipines - listed as 29th in the world
                              Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                                I'm not your pal. This is quite an old thread, but perhaps you did not notice that?
                                In any case, it is old news... ciao
                                Hi Kerry:

I appreciate your frustration, but all I can say is "Do not feed the troll".

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X