Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
    Kerry, in the context of Vlad's reply concerning the ability to pay, the question of the foundation's ownership is not off topic. IMHO.

The members should know the financial capabilities of their federation.
    The Invested funds of the Foundation have not to the best of my knowledge ever been used to fund any chess ventures. Paul LeBlanc, could give more specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      The Invested funds of the Foundation have not to the best of my knowledge ever been used to fund any chess ventures. Paul LeBlanc, could give more specifics.
      I assume you replied to my specific question which did not include the entire assets of the foundation.

The future use of the funds would depend on the wishes of future administrations and amendments to the bylaws, would it not?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I assume you replied to my specific question which did not include the entire assets of the foundation.

The future use of the funds would depend on the wishes of future administrations and amendments to the bylaws, would it not?
        The assets of the Foundation are public and can be found on the CFC Web Site. Reading over the section in the handbook, I can find no provision for the spending of trust fund equity. I think the Foundation would have to be dissolved to use any of the equity (but I'm not a lawyer).

Comment

You will find my reports from the last several years at this link http://www.chess.ca/governors-letters
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
            You will find my reports from the last several years at this link http://www.chess.ca/governors-letters
            That's an "interesting" list of investments. Who's the adviser?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I notice I didn't get a reply, however one small accounting question. Should not the market value at the end of one year be the cost at the beginning of the next year? How else to calculate annual performance?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Maybe I missed the news, but lately I noticed that Wesley So is listed with federation "CAN" (Canadian) - especially in results shown on Susan Polgar's blog...
                I know that his parents live in Scarborough (or at least I have heard that...) and of course he will be attending Webster U. but what is with the federation change from PHI? I would think the FIDE transfer fees would be the same as the GDP of a small country, so I find it hard to believe he can be changing federations.
                Not so quick pal... Wesley So receives an equivalent $1,000 monthly stipend from the Philippine govenment. Sure enough... it's not gargantuan by any stretch of the imagination but I doubt if any of your Canadian GMs get that kind of money from the Canadian government.

Likewise I dare you to google " foreign reserves by country". Philippines has more foreign reserves than Canada. Before we belittle other countries, let's do a bit of reading of what's happening to other countries these days.

Wesley won 3 tournaments in Europe this year. Credit that to having a great coach in Susan Polgar. His ELO rating is now 2719 - ranked 32 in the world. Frankly, if I was Wesley, I would rather play chess for the US than Canada when I graduate from Webster University. Canada has no chess culture and has zilch to offer.

Comment

http://www.canada.com/Philippines+Ca...942/story.html
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

That's fine but Wesley So didn't come to Canada to play chess especially with humbug and arrogant Canadians who think he is penniless and would play for peanuts. The Philippines B team could trounce the Canadian. Olympic team anytime. Wesley would rather play beside Nakamura and Kamsky and win the Olympics and make 200k a year than playing in Canadian tourneys that pay half of his stipend for first prize.

The Philippines has developed home grown grandmasters for its Olympic team and don't,then rely on eastern European emigres to form its team like Canada.

So much for saying that philippines has no money to register its gms, ims and fms. Florencio campomanes as the President of FIDE for a decade and he was Filipino. The phils has hosted a chess olympiad. Canada has not and never will. Philippines has more gms than Canada and is more prominent in the chess world than Canada lest you forget exemplified by its record in the chess olympiads. Quit speculating that Wesley has found a savior in Canada. He does not need the help of underperformers yet arrogant people.

Comment

Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

Quite a lot of frustration here... If Canadians are arrogant, I really wonder what you are :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Wesley So listed as federation "CAN"?

I am Canadian but not as arrogant as some of my countrymen who have little respect for people they don't even know

Comment

Originally posted by Gus U View Post
                          Not so quick pal... Wesley So receives an equivalent $1,000 monthly stipend from the Philippine govenment. Sure enough... it's not gargantuan by any stretch of the imagination but I doubt if any of your Canadian GMs get that kind of money from the Canadian government.

Likewise I dare you to google " foreign reserves by country". Philippines has more foreign reserves than Canada. Before we belittle other countries, let's do a bit of reading of what's happening to other countries these days.

Wesley won 3 tournaments in Europe this year. Credit that to having a great coach in Susan Polgar. His ELO rating is now 2719 - ranked 32 in the world. Frankly, if I was Wesley, I would rather play chess for the US than Canada when I graduate from Webster University. Canada has no chess culture and has zilch to offer.
                          I'm not your pal. This is quite an old thread, but perhaps you did not notice that?
                          In any case, it is old news... ciao
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Another example of a poster failing to use their full/real name when posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              I'm not your pal. This is quite an old thread, but perhaps you did not notice that?
                              In any case, it is old news... ciao

sure I'll take back the word without any second thoughts... yeah it is not a 10 year old news... but it does not mean that we can't comment... or maybe rectify ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by Gus U View Post
                                That's fine but Wesley So didn't come to Canada to play chess
                                W.So came and played in Canada in several tournaments. He even honored one weekend Open in Toronto. Or maybe he came just that his picture would be taken?! LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X