Another Alekhine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Alekhine

There's another Alekhine on the chess horizon, an FM at the age of 7. And if Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour 'rule' holds sway, Sergey Karjakin's youngest-ever GM record could possibly fall. Alekhine Nouri should have his 10,000 hours in by the age of 10 given his 10 hours per diem chess training ("easing up on Sundays").

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2013/...st-fide-master

Re: Another Alekhine

The dad seems to be on par with Kamsky's father. I mean, not sure a kid that age really decides to train 10 hours a day.

Comment

Yeah, I often wonder about these prodigies in chess and other games/sports, training 6 or more hours a day. Does any kid willingly put in those kind of hours? Mind you, I have read stories about some of the hockey stars of old playing for hours on end on the local pond, or firing hundreds of pucks against the garage door, without being pushed by their parents. Could it be that the most important natural 'talent' is the desire to work obsessively at something?

Comment

Re : Re: Another Alekhine

When I started playing serious chess at the age of 15, I studied at least 5 hours a day. My rating went up from 1200 to over 2000 fide/FQE in about a year and a half ( and I am definitely not a prodigy). Once arrived in college I literally stopped studying... So, if a kid is motivated enough to study 10 hours per day for a few years, then there's no doubt he could become a very strong GM. But how can he deal with school? Even with 35 hours a week it is extremely hard... I am afraid his parents might be pushing him too much... If his parents do not put pressure on him, then he is a real prodigy. I see so many kids with natural talent that would only need to study more ( and play less blitz games)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Another Alekhine

Welcome back Jack! I always find your posts interesting. As a father I dreamed that my son might play tournament chess but I never dreamed to make my son have the first name of a champion! Imagine that! Alekhine! With a name like that what else could you do in life except play chess. - and then there is the 10 hours a day at age 7 - I know the Phillipines is a chess crazy place but a boy is a boy.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Another Alekhine

The Wall Street Journal (blog) reports that Alekhine Nouri does indeed have his sights set on Karjakin's youngest-ever GM record.

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/201...as-big-dreams/

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Another Alekhine

And with all that.. Kid still doesnt have any rating, that FM title was awarded for victory on tournament for under 8..
              For all we know he could be 1400 strenght..

Comment

FM title, not FM strength

Nouri has since played in the Asian Youth in Iran. He faced only one FIDE rated player, 1246, and lost.

Comment

Re: FM title, not FM strength

Does anyone know if he has a Philippines rating?

Bob A

Comment

He has a Philippines rating of 1801 (based on 61 games in 2012 and 23 games in 2013). He turns 8 in December.

http://www.ncf-phil.org/ratings/N.html

In comparison, Canada's Harmony Zhu (same age group) has a CFC rating of 1682.
                    In the US, the highest 7 year old has a USCF rating of 1707; the highest 8 year old has a USCF rating of 1907.
                    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Wednesday, 3rd July, 2013, 11:12 PM. Reason: CFC/USCF comparisons

Comment

Hi Hugh:

Any info on whether the Philippine's ratings are at par with Elo? Asking because it is said by some that the CFC ratings are 200 points inflated from Elo.

Bob

Comment

Here's a Philippines update on Alekhine Nouri.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/philip...ss-fide-master

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                          Here's a Philippines update on Alekhine Nouri.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/philip...ss-fide-master

tehe thing is the kid isn't even close to being even a CM by rating, let alone an IM. he got an FM before fide changed the rules on titles awarded for winning continental tournaments.

Comment

His FIDE rating has gone from 1535 to 1681 in the last year - nothing out of the ordinary for a kid that age. (Harmony Zhu has a 1586 FIDE rating - although very little FIDE data for her).

Comment

Re : Re: Another Alekhine

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
                              tehe thing is the kid isn't even close to being even a CM by rating, let alone an IM. he got an FM before fide changed the rules on titles awarded for winning continental tournaments.
                              https://chess24.com/en/read/news/9-y...o-grandmasters

Just sayin'!

Comment

Working...
                              X