Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

Hi Everyone, my name is Yelizaveta Orlova. My titles are Woman Candidate Master (Fide) and Woman National Master (CFC). I'd like to let all of you know I'd like to run for Women's Coordinator. The past year, I have been trying my best to get more girls in Canada to play chess, popularize specifically women chess, and I have been playing in International events to show the world we do have some women chess players!

Click image for larger version

Name:	247709_582268468461008_1558036061_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	186212
    Photo: Chess Photoshoot.

For those who do not know me, here are my accomplishments:

2012 Represented Canada at International Women’s Rapid Championship at UNAM
    2012 Represented Canada at Women’s Olympiad
    2011 Toronto Women’s Champion
    2011 Women’s Canadian Championship, 3rd place
    2011 Canadian Girls Under-18 Champion
    2010 Toronto Women’s Champion
    2010 Represented Canada at Women’s Olympiad
    2010 Ontario Girls Under-16 Champion
    2009 Ontario Girls Under-16 Champion
    2008 9th place, World Youth Under-14 Girls Championship
    2008 Canadian Girls Under-14 Champion
    2008 Canadian Junior Girl Champion
    2007 Canadian Girls Under-14 Champion
    2006 Ontario Girls Grade 6 Champion
    2006 Ontario Girls Under-12 Champion
    2005 Canadian Girls Under-12 Champion
    2005 Ontario Girls Under-12 Champion
    2004 Ontario Girls Under-10 Champion

Name:	935257_575663399121515_931748160_n.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	186213
    Photo: Simultaneous Exhbition at OYCC 2013.

On numerous events in the past year, I did couple of Simultaneous Exhibitions to popularize women chess in Canada.
    In 2012, I did two Simuls at Corinna Wan's Sunday Chess Club (Seneca Chess Club, I believe).
    2013, I did a Simul at the Ontario Youth Chess Championship and also Ontario Girls' Chess Championship.

When it comes to the Internet, I have many fans and followers (from many different countries) who check my blog/facebook page non-stop.

You can check them out below:
    Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Yeliz...03077049713487

I guess now the question is Why should I be chosen to be a Women's Coordinator?

My answer: I have represented Canada on many international events, and would love to see more and more girls/female players in our chess community.
    I am very ambitious, and will try my very best for Canadian Chess.

Name:	166758_566285266725995_263226562_n.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	186214
    Photo: My high-school yearbook graduation photo in 2012.

I recently was interviewed in Toronto Standard. If any of you are interested to read the article: http://www.torontostandard.com/the-s...a-orlova-chess

Lastly, Chess is my passion and I would say it is in my blood (My father and grandfather played chess), and I'd like for our country Canada to feel how I do towards this game.

I hope all of you have a splendid and wonderful day! :)
    Last edited by Yelizaveta Orlova; Tuesday, 18th June, 2013, 10:15 AM.
    Sincerely,
    WCM/WNM Yelizaveta Orlova

Re: Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

Liza,

This is a wonderful news. You will be great for this position.

I wish you good luck!

Andrei

Comment

I nominate you.

Meanwhile you should contact CFC Secretary with your email in case you will be elected/acclaimed to get a Governor's permission at the CFC forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        I nominate you.

Meanwhile you should contact CFC Secretary with your email in case you will be elected/acclaimed to get a Governor's permission at the CFC forum.
        Where can I get the email? / What exactly do you think I need to tell them. Would what I wrote here be fine?
        Sincerely,

Comment

Originally posted by Yelizaveta Orlova View Post
          Where can I get the email? / What exactly do you think I need to tell them. Would what I wrote here be fine?
          In principle go to the CFC forum and create the account if you have not one.

The emails are at chess.ca

Comment

Re : Re: Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

Good news! Can I ask you what concrete ideas you would have regarding the national championships or the overall participation? I tried to raise the standards for the last Women's closed, but I am afraid it is still not good enough and that worse, some organizers might not be interested to organize it anymore.
            Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 18th June, 2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              Good news! Can I ask you what concrete ideas you would have regarding the national championships or the overall participation? I tried to raise the standards for the last Women's closed, but I am afraid it is still not good enough and that worse, some organizers might not be interested to organize it anymore.
              Hi Felix,

Money-wise Canada never had any money to really support any advertisement for women chess events. Montreal it is the other way around, they have money for chess. They have good money when it even comes to prizes at the tournaments. For instance, this tournament Canadian and Women Zonal championship: http://ccc2012.yolasite.com/ .
              An Amazing event that was held, many were happy with the conditions of the tournament...but the rest of Canada can't seem to find money to make such nice tournaments.

It will be really hard to find sponsors for chess, but I am willing to try my very best.
              Sincerely,

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

Originally posted by Yelizaveta Orlova View Post
                Hi Felix,

Money-wise Canada never had any money to really support any advertisement for women chess events. Montreal it is the other way around, they have money for chess. They have good money when it even comes to prizes at the tournaments. For instance, this tournament Canadian and Women Zonal championship: http://ccc2012.yolasite.com/ .
                An Amazing event that was held, many were happy with the conditions of the tournament...but the rest of Canada can't seem to find money to make such nice tournaments.

It will be really hard to find sponsors for chess, but I am willing to try my very best.
                Yes, we had to work hard to make it happen. Organizing a national championship is never easy, especially in such tournaments where the entry fees barely represent half of the budget and the CFC offers no support. I had to guarantee both prize fund by myself, until we finally managed to break even thanks to sponsors.

I don't think people will expect you to personally look for sponsors, as it's nearly impossible without good contacts. However, it would surely help to have an active female coordinator to convince bigger sponsors and reach more medias. A player with your experience could provide great advices as to what would convince more women to participate. The FQE was delighted to have the Women's closed in Montreal last year, and I'm pretty sure it could help the next organizers (even if it's not in Montreal, like the 2012 Canadian junior championship that the FQE sponsored).
                Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 18th June, 2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Officer Elections - Womens' Coordinator

http://canadachessnews.blogspot.hu/

I did smaller version of the campaign blurb. Hope it's OK.

Comment

Hey Liza,

Will sure support you. May be we can do more fundraising events.

Corinna

Comment

Working...
                    X