X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississauga Open 2013 - August 24-25

Tournament Information

MISSISSAUGA OPEN 2013
    $2000 dollars minimum in guranteed prizes!

Mississauga and Hamilton Chess Clubs presents a 5 round Swiss on August 24 & 25

University Of Toronto, Mississauga Campus
    3359 Mississauga Road, Faculty Lounge, 3rd Floor
    Mississauga, Ontario

Schedule:
    Please Confirm Your Registration Saturday August 24 at 9:00 am
    (Players arriving after 9:20 may NOT be paired for round 1)

Game Times
    Saturday - 9:30 am, 2:00 pm and 6:30 pm
    Sunday - 11:00 am and 4:00 pm

Sections and Prizes
    $2000 minimum in guaranteed prizes!!

Sections will be: Top Guns, U2000 and U1600

Top Guns and U2000 will play for cash prizes U1600 will play for trophies
    To play in the top guns section you must be 1900 or higher
    To play in the U2000 section you must be 1500 or higher
    Please Note: Unrated players are not eligible for the U2000 prize
    (Unrated players may play in the Top Guns or U1600 section if they want to be eligible for prizes)

Fees:
    Top Guns and U2000 $55.00 U1600 $25.00 cash only
    Email us by August 23 to receive $5.00 discount
    Titled Players who commit to playing by August 11th will receive a major discount
    Please note that parking on campus is 6 dollars per day

CFC membership required

Time Control: ****All Rounds are 90 minutes with a 30 second increment****

Rules And Equipment:
    Although we will provide some equipment please bring your
    Chess sets, Boards & Digital Clocks Just in Case
    Please turn off your cell phones
    TD rulings based on the CFC/Fide Handbook are final

Questions, Concerns and Pre-Registration
    Email us at: chesshamilton@gmail.com
    Visit our Chess Talk thread for the latest info: http://tinyurl.com/kwtxhhd
    Also check http://www.mississaugachessclub.ca/ for club info including directions

Organizers: Garvin Nunes, Bob Gillanders, Paul Roschman
    Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Monday, 8th July, 2013, 04:28 PM. Reason: update

Re: Mississauga Open 2013 - August 24-25

Mississauga Open 2013 - Preregistration List

Top Guns
    Bindi Cheng
    Artiom Samsonkin
    Roman Sapozhnikov
    Razvan Preotu
    Doug Bailey
    Adam Cormier
    Geordie Derraugh
    Owen Qian
    Digeng Du
    Nikola Brajkovic
    Thair Sabbagh
    Aaron Both
    Jonathan Yu
    Gordon Gooding
    Richard Chen
    Victor Itkin
    Keith Wight
    Angel Luis Fernandez
    Zehn Nasir
    Vincent Chow (Only plays if odd number of entries)

U2000
    Ferdinand Supsup
    Leslie Tang
    Eugene Hua
    Florian Bergeron
    Thomas Kurian
    Kajan Thanabalachandran
    Lee Hendon
    Rob Gashgarian
    Harmony Zhu
    Projjwal Pramanik
    Sankar Balakrishnan
    John Young
    Richard Wing
    Richard Guo
    Michel Vasquez
    Alex Friedman
    Lan Qian
    Carl Martin
    Thomas Guo
    Hanyan Ye
    Patrick L. Huang
    Immanuel Huang
    Pino Verde
    Benito Surya
    Ian Finlay
    Rebecca Giblon
    Kuhan Jeyapragasan
    Pi Nasir
    Dinny Wang
    Robert Gillanders (Only plays on odd number of entries)

U1600
    Kylie Tan
    John Rogers
    Jerry McKitrick
    Pars Cottrell
    Robert H Girard
    Bobby Mao
    David Atanasov
    Todd Belrose
    Liam Justice
    Graeme Knight
    Rahul Gangolli
    Anubhav Maulik
    Shuhan Dai
    Allyson Xu
    David Xu
    Lynda Lei
    Tony Huang
    Rajesh Pai
    Luxiga Thanabalachandran
    Chris Osborne
    James Williamson
    Atharva Karandikar
    Shesan Balachandran
    Henushan Balachandran
    Naren Sothinathan
    Patrick Scopa
    Mike Martin
    Monika Wood
    Richard Morrison
    Diego Rosales
    Manojh Sivapathasundaram
    Harsh Patel
    Richard Marais
    Rohit Subedi
    Yathushan Jeyakumar
    Bhavatharshan Jeyakumar
    Nicholas Wu
    Mark Gelowitz
    Nameer Issani
    Aahil Noorali
    Mysha Gilani
    Cindy Qiao
    Richard Marais
    Denis Ceastov
    William Li
    Mark Anthony Biong
    Benett Lou
    Masoud Jizan
    Larissa Souchko
    Torin Mill

If you don't see your name here and you think you should, please email us at chesshamilton@gmail.com
    Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Friday, 23rd August, 2013, 10:06 PM. Reason: Adding names

Comment

Hotels (For Saturday Aug 24)
      Make sure you start booking asap to guarantee a room..

Comfort Inn ($99)
      31 Topflight Drive, Mississauga, ON L5S1Y1 Canada 1-800-314-0484

Quality Inn Airport West ($89)
      50 Britannia Road East, L4Z 2G2 Mississauga (905) 890 1200

Best Western Plus Toronto Airport Hotel ($79)
      5825 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 4V7, Canada.
      (905) 670 8180 or (800) 260 3333

Hotel Notes
      -There are several hotels near Hurontario Street. So it would be good to learn to take a bus or drive there. If anyone knows of CHEAP accommodations near the campus, please post it in the forum. Mississauga residents...please step up!

-Some of these rates can only be gotten by ordering online. I found these hotel deals by clicking the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/llml53b

The full link is:

http://www.trivago.ca/?aDateRange[arr]=2013-08-24&aDateRange[dep]=2013-09-01&iRoomType=7&iMemberProfileId=0&iViewType=0&iGeoDistanceItem=0&iPathId=57058&

Directions
      The tournament is at:
      University Of Toronto, Mississauga Campus
      3359 Mississauga Road, Faculty Lounge, 3rd Floor
      Mississauga, Ontario

Here is a link to it on google maps:
      http://goo.gl/maps/OJlut

Please note the U of T campus charges six dollars per day for parking. So it will be 12 dollars for the whole weekend. Mississauga residents if you know of anywhere to park for cheaper near the campus please post it in the forum below!!

Public Transit
      Here are the buses leaving Clarkson Go Station to go to the Campus on a Saturday morning:

Catch bus 13 at 8:36am
      Catch bus 110 at 8:16 am
      Catch bus 13 at 8:07 am
      Catch bus 110 at 7:49 am

Bus 13 involves an 11 minute walk from Erin Mills Parkway to the campus. (You would get off at the second stop after Dundas Street West)

Bus 110 goes right up Mississauga Road which the campus is on. This is probably your best bet.

The following is the link to the bus information:
      http://goo.gl/maps/z6VME

Note: The situation is similar on Sunday morning with bus 110 leaving Clarkson Go at 10:14am

Bus to Quality Inn Example

Suppose you leave the campus 9pm and you want to take the bus to the Quality Inn. Here is how you would do it:

Catch 110 towards Northbound at 9:12pm
      Get off at the City Centre Transit Terminal about 9:29pm
      Catch 19 Bus towards Northbound at 9:43pm
      Get off at Hurontario and Britannia Road East
      Walk two minutes to 50 Britannia Road East
      The entire trip should be 50 minutes

The link to the details of this bus trip is:
      http://goo.gl/maps/tVfZe

Quality Inn to Campus Example
      Suppose you want to go from Quality Inn to the campus Sunday morning

Walk to Hurontario Street South of Britannia Road
      Catch 19 Southbound at 9:56am
      Get off at the City Centre Terminal about 10:09am
      Catch 110 Southbound at 10:25am
      You should arrive at the Campus about 10:47am

The link to the details of this bus trip is:
      http://goo.gl/maps/JPsGi

If you are practicing using google maps for bus routes in advance and you need help don't hesitate to email me at chesshamilton@gmail.com
      Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Sunday, 11th August, 2013, 08:27 PM. Reason: Found some hotels and stuff

Comment

Hello everyone. This year I was not able to get a location in Hamilton so I will be running a tournament with a similar concept in Mississauga instead.

Things to note about this tournament:

-we have a guaranteed 2000 dollar prize fund. If we get a large enough turnout it will be bigger

-I am doing everything I can to find out if I can fide rate the top section. You will notice in the detailed tournament information that I have conformed the game times to fide standards already. So I think fide ratings for the top section are very likely and I will give you an update on this very soon

-The U of T Mississauga Campus has a nice big cafeteria area for post postmortems and skiddles. It should be a very nice environment for chess.
        Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Tuesday, 18th June, 2013, 08:30 PM. Reason: typos and stuff

Comment

Prizes?!?!
          Last edited by Mark Biong; Friday, 21st June, 2013, 11:06 AM. Reason: save

Comment

Mark I'm going to reply to your initial question before you edited your post because I find it an interesting one.

The question is: how would the 2000 dollars be divided?

(I want to make a big caveat here: if we get a big enough turnout the prize fund will be MORE than 2000 dollars!)

First of all the ideas I am saying below are just my thoughts on how to distribute the prize fund based on my experience as an organizer. My ideas are not written in stone and I welcome any input you or anyone else has on how it should be done.

I should also mention that I will be submitting a proposal for how the prize fund should be distributed to the Mississauga Chess Club's executive and they may request changes for any number of reasons.

That said and done, here are my thoughts on how it will go:

Those of you who have attended my tournaments before maybe have noticed I usually take 60% of the prize fund for the top guns and 40% for the U2000 section and then create three prizes each along the lines of a 3:2:1 ratio. (Creating a total of six prizes).

2000 dollars divided among this formula would lead to the following: Top guns would get 1200 and U2000 would get 800. The prizes for Top Guns would be 600, 400, 200 and for U2000 it would be 400, 266, 133 respectively.

However there is a problem with this way of doing things in some cases. In the past I had an issue with a large turnout of a group that had no chance to win anything. (In this case experts).

Some of you may think, hey isnt that just what they deserve? They didn't win so don't give them anything! But the problem is that if they are the biggest group, they are also the group the tournaments (I will run) depend on in the future, so I'd like to create a category prize in the event the same thing happens. (If there is a low turnout I would just use the formula above).

So what I'm trying to say is: I want to reserve the right to create a category prize if I feel that it would somehow help the tournament as a whole.

If this were done the prize fund would be distributed something like this:
            (Let's for the moment assume a category prize of 100 dollars for experts who for some reason had an abnormally high turnout.) That would leave 1900 that would be divided using the formula I mentioned above. The prizes would thus be:

(1140 for top guns)
            570, 380, 190

(760 for U2000)
            378, 252, 126

And a 100 dollar category prize.

So those are the two possible distributions I am thinking of. I welcome any thoughts any of you have on this. I am quite open to making a change if you can convince me it will help the event...but like I said, I need to be convinced..and so do the executives of the club that's giving us the money!
            Last edited by Garvin Nunes; Saturday, 22nd June, 2013, 04:13 AM. Reason: forgot something!

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
              Mark I'm going to reply to your initial question before you edited your post because I find it an interesting one.

The question is: how would the 2000 dollars be divided?

(I want to make a big caveat here: if we get a big enough turnout the prize fund will be MORE than 2000 dollars!)

First of all the ideas I am saying below are just my thoughts on how to distribute the prize fund based on my experience as an organizer. My ideas are not written in stone and I welcome any input you or anyone else has on how it should be done.

I should also mention that I will be submitting a proposal for how the prize fund should be distributed to the Mississauga Chess Club's executive and they may request changes for any number of reasons.

That said and done, here are my thoughts on how it will go:

Those of you who have attended my tournaments before maybe have noticed I usually take 60% of the prize fund for the top guns and 40% for the U2000 section and then create three prizes each along the lines of a 3:2:1 ratio. (Creating a total of six prizes).

2000 dollars divided among this formula would lead to the following: Top guns would get 1200 and U2000 would get 800. The prizes for Top Guns would be 600, 400, 200 and for U2000 it would be 400, 266, 133 respectively.

However there is a problem with this way of doing things in some cases. In the past I had an issue with a large turnout of a group that had no chance to win anything. (In this case experts).

Some of you may think, hey isnt that just what they deserve? They didn't win so don't give them anything! But the problem is that if they are the biggest group, they are also the group the tournaments (I will run) depend on in the future, so I'd like to create a category prize in the event the same thing happens. (If there is a low turnout I would just use the formula above).

So what I'm trying to say is: I want to reserve the right to create a category prize if I feel that it would somehow help the tournament as a whole.

If this were done the prize fund would be distributed something like this:
              (Let's for the moment assume a category prize of 100 dollars for experts who for some reason had an abnormally high turnout.) That would leave 1900 that would be divided using the formula I mentioned above. The prizes would thus be:

(1140 for top guns)
              570, 380, 190

(760 for U2000)
              378, 252, 126

And a 100 dollar category prize.

So those are the two possible distributions I am thinking of. I welcome any thoughts any of you have on this. I am quite open to making a change if you can convince me it will help the event...but like I said, I need to be convinced..and so do the executives of the club that's giving us the money!
              With a discounted pre-registration entry fee of $50. Prizes should be a factor of this value. Hence I will propose a possible distributions on the following percentages (50%,30%,20%)

Open (50%)
              1st Place: $500
              2nd Place: $300
              3rd Place: $200

Best Expert: (10%)
              $200

Under 2000 (40%)
              1st Place: $400
              2nd Place: $250
              3rd Place: $150

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post

Email us by August 23 to receive $5.00 discount
                Titled Players who commit to playing by August 11th will receive a major discount
                Any discount for Mississauga Chess Club Members?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
                  I am consulting the Mississauga Chess Club's executive on this and will get back to you soon.

Comment

With a discounted pre-registration entry fee of $50. Prizes should be a factor of this value. Hence I will propose a possible distributions on the following percentages (50%,30%,20%)

Open (50%)
                    1st Place: $500
                    2nd Place: $300
                    3rd Place: $200

Best Expert: (10%)
                    $200

Under 2000 (40%)
                    1st Place: $400
                    2nd Place: $250
                    3rd Place: $150
                    I think the main difference between the prize distribution you propose and the one I proposed (which is similar to what I use for Hamilton's events) is that in mine I strongly favour putting more money in the Top Gun section.

My reason for this "bias" is that I want to do what I can to promote some kind of professional class of player. I think other things like cheap entry fees and a low priced trophy section is whats done for the other players..but the top players the motivating factor is more strongly tied to money.

Of course I also believe that getting them to turn out will also somehow benefit everyone else...but I leave that for you all to decide....

Comment

Sorry Ferdinand, there will be no special discount for Mississauga club members. :(

Comment

Hi Garvin,

The Hamilton Summer Open is usually pretty well attended. Would you consider exploring 300-point sections? My experience in 400-point sections has been that the last 3 rounds are very enjoyable while many Round 1 and Round 2 games tend to be uncompetitive. As you mentioned, low experts almost never have a chance to win prizes. How about Top Dogs/U2100/U1800/U1500?

With increased attendance in Kitchener tournaments, I will be petitioning the Kitchener club executives for 300-point sections in our Fall Open. Some of the chess veterans I have spoken to (as young as those in early 30s) miss the days of the Class Sections. Our new CFC president, Vlad, is also a big fan of having 5 competitive rounds in a weekend.

I am looking forward to the Mississauga Summer Open 2013.

Thanks for looking into this, Garvin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
                          Hi Garvin,

The Hamilton Summer Open is usually pretty well attended. Would you consider exploring 300-point sections? My experience in 400-point sections has been that the last 3 rounds are very enjoyable while many Round 1 and Round 2 games tend to be uncompetitive. As you mentioned, low experts almost never have a chance to win prizes. How about Top Dogs/U2100/U1800/U1500?

With increased attendance in Kitchener tournaments, I will be petitioning the Kitchener club executives for 300-point sections in our Fall Open. Some of the chess veterans I have spoken to (as young as those in early 30s) miss the days of the Class Sections. Our new CFC president, Vlad, is also a big fan of having 5 competitive rounds in a weekend.

I am looking forward to the Mississauga Summer Open 2013.

Thanks for looking into this, Garvin.
                          The reason I prefer to use a category prize instead of creating another section is because sometimes even masters and experts combined are the smallest section. (Like the Hamilton Winter Open 2013 for example).

It enables me to have the flexibility to place a prize where I need to do so. Ie. Once I saw how the turnout of the event was shaping up ."Experts" in my comments just being an example of where that could happen based on past experience.

Still, I will consider adding a fourth section to events I organize in 2014.

The question still remains what should that section be?

Comment

Please note: All rounds are going to be 90 minutes with a 30 second increment!

Comment

Apparently our flyers sent to Ottawa for the Canadian Open never got there. :(
                              So look for our flyer coming to a chess club near you!

Comment

Working...
                              X