Blindfold Chess - the book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blindfold Chess - the book

From a 4 board blindfold exhibition in Almeria, Spain 1945, Alekhine - Gambino, 1.e4 c6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Nf3 Bg4 4.h3 Bxf3 5.Qxf3 d4 6.Bc4 dxc3 7.Qxf7+ Kd7 8.dxc3 Kc8 9.Bf4 Nf6 10. Be6+ Nbd7 11.0-0-0 b5 12.e5 Nd5 13.Bxd5 cxd5 14.Qxd5 Kb8 15.e6+ 1-0 Black grabs a knight and is subjected to a scholars mate type of attack out of the opening. Black resigns before White can play 0-0-0 and exd7+ winning the queen and king or Qc4+ and checkmate in two moves.

Comment

Hi Hans,

Please take no offense, but you posted 47 out of the last 50 messages on this thread. I'm sure you are a great blindfold player and you really enjoy blindfold chess, but I just don't know if there are enough interest among the readers in this forum.

Thanks,
      Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Guo View Post
        Hi Hans,

Please take no offense, but you posted 47 out of the last 50 messages on this thread. I'm sure you are a great blindfold player and you really enjoy blindfold chess, but I just don't know if there are enough interest among the readers in this forum.

Thanks,
        Josh
        I am enjoying these posts...

If you are not, simply cease reading this thread.

Although a new thread would make it easier to read them!

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
          I am enjoying these posts...

If you are not, simply cease reading this thread.
          Ok, sorry I apologize. It just seemed like Hans was the only person posting.

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
          Although a new thread would make it easier to read them!
          Please, lets just keep everything in this thread. Thanks

Comment

Ok, sorry I apologize. It just seemed like Hans was the only person posting.

Please, lets just keep everything in this thread. Thanks
            Yes, one thread is preferable even though the vBulletin software makes navigating through very long threads very painful... one reason why I have almost given up on the Climate change thread.

At least one can click on the little "go to last post" icon to get to the most recent post! Unfortunately, even doing that does not make it easy to move back up the thread from that point...
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

• help (for blindfold chess thread viewing tips)

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Yes, one thread is preferable even though the vBulletin software makes navigating through very long threads very painful... one reason why I have almost given up on the Climate change thread.

At least one can click on the little "go to last post" icon to get to the most recent post! Unfortunately, even doing that does not make it easy to move back up the thread from that point...
              I've enjoyed this thread (and other ones) as well, & would prefer to see it in a single thread. However, I read my threads in a mode called "hybrid", and occasionally when a thread has been "replied to" too deeply (into the leaves of the tree, in the computational sense) in that mode, I've sometimes had a script warning message that pops up ( www.chesstalk.info /forum/showthread.php?t=2575&highlight=climate ). It might be that limiting the depth of a tree might slow down how often the warning appears.

To get around this in the hybrid mode, one can use a choice of a couple of reply buttons to (usually) choose where in the tree-node to insert a message for easy following. One can also open a particular sub-thread of a thread, and later choose options to reply within there as well.

If the help pages were interpreted accurately, there might also be an option to jump into the "next-unread" message of a thread line (hybrid mode doesn't seem to be very co-operative in that respect).

A person can even edit a title, as above.

Hope that helps!
              Last edited by Kai G. Gauer; Friday, 3rd June, 2011, 04:44 PM. Reason: added link to another thread

Comment

Hi Hans,

Thanks,
                Josh
                I used to be a great blindfold player but now Im just a great blindfold enthusiast:) I mentioned before on this thread why I was posting but I'll sum up again: 1. I wanted to create a chess thread amongst the many non-chess threads on this board. 2. to show that blindfold chess was a part of chess culture 3.to show the amazing gems played by great blindfold players 4. to promote the book "Blindfold Chess" and help sell a few copies (one of the very few threads on this board that has done that) and 5. I really enjoy coming up with games and posting. I have managed to keep this thread running for 2 and a half years and I am almost at the end of Alekhine blindfold games and still want to post some Koltanowski and Flesch games. After that this thread will probably come to an end.:(

Comment

I actually bought the book as a result of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                    Im just a great blindfold enthusiast:)
                    I'm interesting in one aspect of your posts: how fast can you read a chess notation and follow a game?
                    Let say this game: "1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Be7 6.0-0 d6 7.Bxc6+ bxc6 8.d4 exd4 9.Nxd4 Bb7 10.Nf5 0-0 11.Re1 Re8 12.Qf3 c5 13.Bg5 Bf8 14.Nh6+ 1-0 (Nh6+) "

How easy/fast did you figure out what were threats after Nh6?

Comment

• Re: help (for blindfold chess thread viewing tips)

Originally posted by Kai G. Gauer View Post
                      However, I read my threads in a mode called "hybrid", and occasionally when a thread has been "replied to" too deeply (into the leaves of the tree, in the computational sense) in that mode, I've sometimes had a script warning message that pops up ( www.chesstalk.info /forum/showthread.php?t=2575&highlight=climate ). It might be that limiting the depth of a tree might slow down how often the warning appears.
                      Linear view gets rid of all that complexity...

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        I'm interesting in one aspect of your posts: how fast can you read a chess notation and follow a game?
                        Let say this game: "1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.Nc3 Be7 6.0-0 d6 7.Bxc6+ bxc6 8.d4 exd4 9.Nxd4 Bb7 10.Nf5 0-0 11.Re1 Re8 12.Qf3 c5 13.Bg5 Bf8 14.Nh6+ 1-0 (Nh6+) "

How easy/fast did you figure out what were threats after Nh6?
                        How fast? Depends on the game. The one above is very short so I timed it. (two minutes) - its a Lopez with Nc3 and Bxc6+ then the odd Bb7 and Nf5 (covers the first 10 moves very quickly) The threats after Nf6 are a combination of remove the defender, the can opener (opening the g file or demo of kingside position) and knight fork (actually classic threats after Nf5 against castled king). Very obvious at master level (so a few seconds). However normal games with more than 25 moves take much, much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                          I personally know more than 50 people who have bought the book and thanked me for continuously posting on this thread. (Thanks Ken)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                            As did I. It is an excellent book.

My blindfold exploits are rather limited. I did play two simultaneous blindfold games way back when I was an A player in my early twenties while imbibing quantities of alcohol one night at a party. I played against some fairly weak players who had view of the boards. I won fairly easily in twenty or thirty moves. Everyone was overly impressed.

Comment

Alekhine - Lopez, Almeria, Spain 1945, blindfold simul on 4 boards, 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 dxe4 4.Nxe4 Nd7 5.Nf3 Ngf6 6.Bd3 Be7 7.0-0 0-0 8.c3 b6 9.Qe2 Bb7 10.Rd1 Re8 11.Ne5 h6 12.Bf4 Nd5 13.Bg3 Qc8 14.Qh5 Rf8 15.Ng4 f5 16.Nxh6+ gxh6 17.Qg6+ Kh8 18.Qxh6+ Kg8 19.Qxe6+ Kh8 20.Qh6+ Kg8 21.Qg6+ Kh8 22.Be5+ Nxe5 23.dxe5 Qe8 24.Qh6+ Kg8 25.Ng5 Bxg5 26.Qxg5+ Kh8 27.Bxf5 Qf7 28.Qh6+ Kg8 29.Be6 1-0 Black cant resist the pawn fork of the two knights (15...f5). Thats all Alekhine needs to start demolishing the king position and the black pieces become spectators.

Comment

Alekhine's blindfold play also encouraged other masters to play blindfold chess. An example (and the best blindfold player ever from Spain) was Francisco Perez, a young master who spent time with Alekhine and was later Spanish Champion and on Olympic Teams. The year after Alekhine died Perez did 15 boards blindfold (in 1947) and then 20, and 25 in March 1956 (10th anniversary of Alekhines death). Perez did many blindfold exhibitions in his years in Spain. Alekhine - Perez, Bilbao, Spain 1945 (both blindfold) 1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.c3 d5 4.exd5 Qxd5 5.cxd4 Nc6 6.Nf3 Bg4 7.Be2 0-0-0 8.Nc3 Bb4 9.0-0 Qh5 10.h3 Bxf3 11.Bxf3 Qg6 12.Qa4 Nge7 13.Bxc6 Nxc6 14.d5 Bxc3 15.dxc6 Bd4 16.cxb7+ Kb8 17.Bf4 Qf6 18.Bg3 Rhe8 19.Rac1 Bb6 20.Bxc7+ Bxc7 21.Rxc7 Kxc7 22.Qxa7 Rb8 23.Rc1+ Kd7 24.Rd1+ 1-0 An exciting game between two blindfold greats. Alekhine sacrifices a rook to draw out the king and Black abruptly resigns to avoid a miserable endgame with two helpless rooks vs queen and connected passed pawns.

Comment

Working...
                                X