Blindfold Chess - the book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Blindfold Chess - the book

Koltanowski - ??, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May 3,1954, 1 of 8, 1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 e6 4.Bd3 c5 5.c3 Nc6 6.Nbd2 Be7 7.0-0 0-0 8.dxc5 Bxc5 9.e4 Qc7 10.Qe2 Ne5 11.Nxe5 Qxe5 12.Nf3 Qc7 13.e5 Nd7 14.Bxh7+ Kxh7 15.Ng5+ Kg6 16.Qd3+ f5 17.Qg3 Qxe5 18.Bf4 Qe2 19.Nf3+ Kf6 20.Rae1 Qa6 21.Qh4+ Kg6 22.b4 e5 23.Bxe5 Bd6 24.Qg5+ Kf7 25.Qxg7+ 1-0 The Colle can be a well of dynamic attacking energy or an absolutely dry, mundane, colourless opening depending on whose hands it is in. Kolty never had the latter problem although there are some that would insist that this game is just about recognizing basic patterns.

Comment

I am going to start the story of GM Janos Flesch's world record breaking attempt. The accounts are many and varied so I will spread them over several posts. The official facts are that Flesch on October 16th, 1960 played blindfold against 52 players over a 12 hour time frame with the final score of 31 wins, 18 draws, and 3 losses. A short film was made of the event and it showed the columns of players and 3 views of Flesch sitting at a table with his back to the players and then a final view of people applauding as Flesch accepted a trophy at the end.
      I want to mention some of Flesch's background to the event. According to Flesch he did not want to join the national chess association and so was not allowed to compete in tournaments as permission for that had to be granted. He was poor and starving. For lack of any other opportunity to play he began to compete against himself without sight of the board. In 1959 he was diagnosed as having lung cancer. This made him extra determined to show the world what he was capable of. He started playing blindfold simultaneous chess and increasing his numbers First against 5 but giving queen odds in each game! Then 10, then 20 but without giving odds. After playing 30 he had figured out that it was important to simplify games quickly. He also noticed that the more opponents he played the better he felt. Without help from doctors or medicine he was cured from his cancer before the end of the year! He then decided to try for the world record.

Comment

According to Flesch in the year 1960 he continued his training and toured provincial towns playing against 20 to 30 boards at a time and within a time limit of 4 to 4.5 hours. He decided to play the sharpest openings to win more games quickly. On the day of the exhibition Flesch claimed his opponents were 1 woman master, 1 candidate master, 11 first category, 18 second category, 21 third category players. The move messenger was a candidate master and there was a 7 member jury of officials including Laszlo Balogh (the chief), who was the chief international arbiter at the 1950 Budapest candidates tournament. Flesch went on to give a great many other small details.

Comment

There are many differences between Flesch's accounts of his world record and those of reliable witnesses. I will list some of them. According to a detailed article in Magyar Sakkelet (the main Hungarian chess magazine at the time) Flesch's accounts of the strength of his opponents were wrong. The actual details were 7 first category, 11 second category, 8 third category players, 6 fourth category, and 18 unrated (also 1 woman master and one candidate master as previously listed). According to Flesch the lowest opponents were third category players. Why does this matter? - because almost half the field were beginner level players including a lot of extreme youth. Many of the players did not know all the rules and basic moves. There were many games that ended in basic opening mates. Twenty games were finished by the tenth move and several of them were also prearranged draws. One of the games ended when Flesch made a terrible mistake on move 6. Flesch's opponent resigned because he didnt want to win a game that way.

Comment

According to Magyar Sakkelet of the 52 blindfold simul games Flesch played, 20 were finished by the 10th move after 4 hours (7 wins, 13 draws), and 15 more by move 16 after 7 hours of play (11 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss) for a total of 35 games completed by the 16th move! Astonishingly quick results! - until further accounts and investigation revealed that many of the opponents quit because they were bored, tired, or hungry (not surprising as it took Flesch an average of about half an hour to make a move on each board). What is wrong is the counting of those games as a win by forfeit even though the amount of moves played meant those games were still in the early opening stages. (apparently there were no replacement players allowed). Further investigations revealed that several of the games were prearranged (planned in advance!).

Comment

One other point about the Flesch simul is that according to Koltanowski he took notes during the exhibition. This is true. According to several witnesses he took notes (not scoresheets or individual moves in notation) with Informator symbols indicating procedure of the game with 52 boxes drawn (obviously one for each game). As according to Flesch himself this was contrary to the rules that Alekhine stated for simul blindfold play and Flesch had said he was strictly following, Flesch at the very least was being dishonest. For many further details see: Blindfold Chess (the book about which this thread was started).

Comment

The most graphic counter statement to the Flesch 52 board world record would have to be from Dimitrije Bjelica, the well know chess journalist and author of several chess books. (my favorite is "Great Chess Matches of the Century" which has the scores of the games of the famous 1970 blitz match which Fischer won and dominated ahead of all the greats) According to Bjelica he played 56 simultaneous blindfold games at once (50+!, -1, =5) (at age 61!!) His opponents were all women nurses!!! and he lost only to his mother!!!! (who was over age 80 at the time!!!!) (of course, if you were going to lose a game, it should be to your own mother!!!!!!:D) If the chess world accepted the Flesch world record than they would have to accept the Bjelica world record. As a final note to the claims of Janos Flesch to the world blindfold chess record (which were accepted by virtually everyone in the chess world at some point) it sadly becomes clear that Janos Flesch the creative chess genius was unbalanced by Janos Flesch the bullshit artist.

Comment

And now for the amazing games from the Flesch 52 board exhibition. The first two I believe are authentic as they were published right after the exhibition and I have seen them several times over the years. The last two Im not sure but even so they are amazingly creative games. This is my Christmas present to the readers. Whether or not they are authentic I think most of us love beautiful chess ideas and creative tactical and attacking play. Whatever his faults Janos Flesch had amazing tactical vision and was a creative attacker.
                  Flesch - Hrumo, Budapest, October 16, 1960, 1 of 52, 1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 g5 4.d4 g4 5.Bxf4 gxf3 6.Qxf3 Qf6 7.Nc3 Ne7 8.Nb5 Na6 9.Bxc7 Bg7 10.Nd6+ Kf8 11.Qxf6 Bxf6 12.Bxa6 bxa6 13.Rf1 Ng8 14.e5 1-0

Comment

Flesch - Bodnar, Budapest, Hungary, Oct. 16, 1960, 1 of 52, 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 d6 6.Bc4 e6 7.0-0 Nf6 8.Qe2 a6 9.Rd1 Qc7 10.Bf4 Ne5 11.Bxe5 dxe5 12.Rac1 Qb8 13.Bb5+ Bd7 14.Bxd7+ Nxd7 15.Ng5 Nf6 16.Qc4 Be7 17.Na4 0-0 18.Nb6 Ra7 19.Nxe6 Re8 20.Nc7 Rd8 21.Rxd8+ Bxd8 22.Nca8 Rxa8 23.Nxa8 Qxa8 24.Qc8 1-0 The waltz of the two knights is particularly stunning!

Comment

Flesch - Csizmarik 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d4 exd4 5.0-0 Nxe4 6.Re1 d5 7.Bxd5 Qxd5 8.Nc3 Qh5 9.Nxe4 Be6 10.Bg5 h6 11.Bf6 Qa5 12.Nxd4 gxf6 13.Nxf6+ Ke7 14.Nxe6 fxe6 15.Qd7+ Kxf6 16.Rxe6+ Kg5 17.f4+ Kh4 18.Rxh6+ 1-0

Comment

Flesch - Holdosi 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 d6 6.Bc4 e6 7.0-0 Nge7 8.Bg5 a6 9.Qe2 h6 10.Be3 Bd7 11.Rad1 Ng6 12.Nd4 Nxd4 13.Bxd4 Ne5 14.Bb3 Nc6 15.Be3 Be7 16.Qg4 Ne5 17.Qxg7 Ng6 18.e5 d5 19.Bc2 Bf8 20.Qxg6 fxg6 21.Bxg6+ Ke7 22.Bc5 1-0

Comment

One last Flesch game from a 20 board blindfold simul given in Luxembourg 1964 Flesch - Reuter, 1 of 20, 1.d4 g6 2.Nc3 Bg7 3.Bf4 d6 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.Qd2 Bf5 6.0-0-0 Nbd7 7.Bh6 Bxh6 8.Qxh6 Ng4 9.Qg7 Rf8 10.e4 Ndf6 11.Ng5 Be6 12.e5 Rg8 13.exf6 Rxg7 14.fxg7 Kd7 15.d5 Bf5 16.Bb5+ c6 17.dxc6+ bxc6 18.f3 cxb5 19.fxg4 Be6 20.Nce4 Qb6 21.Nxh7 Qe3+ 22.Kb1 Qh6 23.Nf8+ Rxf8 24.gxf8=Q Qxf8 25.Nc5+ Kc6 26.Nxe6 fxe6 27.h4 Qf4 28.h5 g5 29.h6 Qf8 30.h7 Qh8 31.Rdf1 Kd7 32.Rf8 1-0 At several moves in this game I said to myself: "Whats this"?!! Intriguing. Want answers? Ask your supercomputer. (keep in mind this game was played (as one of 20 blindfolded!) in pre computer days! ) Sheer wizardry!! Did anyone notice the prolonged dance of the black queen? Humorous. A very tactically creative game and on that note I want to wish my readers a Happy New Year!

Comment

According to chessbase news reports GM Gareev who won the North American Open in Sin City (I mean Las Vegas) just before New Years recently in Hawaii did a blindfold simul on 27 boards. He has announced further plans to do 64!! (but he wont be the last to talk the talk and not walk the walk) Personally Id like to see some of his blindfold games. Its exciting to know that a worlds top 100 player has recently done over 20 boards. It might encourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                              According to chessbase news reports GM Gareev who won the North American Open in Sin City (I mean Las Vegas) just before New Years recently in Hawaii did a blindfold simul on 27 boards. He has announced further plans to do 64!! (but he wont be the last to talk the talk and not walk the walk) Personally Id like to see some of his blindfold games. Its exciting to know that a worlds top 100 player has recently done over 20 boards. It might encourage others.
                              Hans, a little off-topic perhaps - but you must be the man to ask -
                              Do you know of any details regarding the system used at Amber and presumably in China at the Mind Games, ie two laptops for the players and presumably one for the arbiter ?

Comment

Hi Tony, I've seen it in action many times (on the internet) but the mechanics never crossed my mind. Idea: Geurt Gijssen has a monthly article called An Arbiter's Notebook on www.chesscafe.com - probably contact info there. You could ask him. He was arbiter at Amber several times. Also I am sure there are a few arbiters here in Canada who would know. If anyone who can help reads this feel free to respond.

Comment

Working...
                                X