Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

My last CFC rated event was in the 1970's and that's as close as I can recall. I'm doubtful what appeared in the magazines was correct and suspect events were added to mine or some of mine didn't appear.

In any case, it's decades later, I have no intention of playing in a CFC rated event and the rating does not reflect my playing strength. I'd like my name and the rating removed or "unrated" to show. Legally, it likely does not matters what my rating was back then when being shown as a current rating.

Suffice to say that rating has caused me problems.

Regards,
    Gary
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Two ratings.1874 and 1781.
      That is how it is listed in the
      CFC for Gary Ruben.

Comment

Originally posted by James Williamson View Post
        Two ratings.1874 and 1781.
        That is how it is listed in the
        CFC for Gary Ruben.
        There's another rating. 2425 which is my ICCF rating and is current. I got that one while I was representing Canada on national teams such as several times in the Olympiad, Pan Am Team Championships and others whose names I can't recall, playing board 1 at least a couple of times. Also a lot of individual events.
        Last edited by Gary Ruben; Monday, 8th July, 2013, 12:28 AM.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The CFC records were destroyed.
          Did you keep postal records or
          were they also destroyed?

Comment

The CCCA records were not destroyed as far as I know. Mostly I've played international and the ICCF records are intact. The ICCF and our titles are recognized by FIDE. As far as I know a lot of old ICCF tables have been put on their webserver.

Here's their web site if you're interested. http://www.iccf-webchess.com/

Remember, though, with CFC if you end up with a low rating it could show up for the next 50 years even after you're not a member. That sort of thing can hurt when looking for a job. The problem I'm having with the CFC with my rating should be a caution to others.

P.S. How do you like the avatar picture of my dog, Beware.
            Last edited by Gary Ruben; Tuesday, 9th July, 2013, 01:51 AM.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

ICCF ratings and regular ratings are completely different... There are lots of active ICCF players that have a rating of 1600 and yet, are ICCF IMs. I guess it all depends on the strength of your computer nowadays. I don't know when you got your title (congrats if it's before 1990!), but any title obtained after 2000 has pretty much no value.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

That's a funny post. I heard the cheating by computers and other means is in over the board chess. Even Fischer complained about the cheating decades ago.

You're a well known xxxxx and listed as a governor from Quebec so we know you have an interest in protecting the organization.
                Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 9th July, 2013, 01:09 PM. Reason: abusive language
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  That's a funny post. I heard the cheating by computers and other means is in over the board chess. Even Fischer complained about the cheating decades ago.

You're a well known idiot and listed as a governor from Quebec so we know you have an interest in protecting the organization.
                  I guess this means you finally got your title once the computers were strong enough :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                    I guess this means you finally got your title once the computers were strong enough :)
                    Bazinga!
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn2S7fq_p1E

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Another guy with an interest in protecting the organization? You should look into how the privacy act effects non profits and their lists of information on individuals.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Nice looking dog.Almost all
                        of my neighbours have dogs.
                        The streets are clean.Some
                        have cats.I have never seen
                        any of the dogs chase them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gary Ruben;69970You should look into how the privacy act effects non profits and their lists of information on individuals.[/QUOTE]

By playing in the tournament you agreed that results will be used to calculate the (CFC) rating. It is a common knowledge, that the rating lists are open to everybody to see. They are published these days on internet :)

What private information was revealed without your consent?

Comment

That's not really an appropriate comment on a public forum, is it Gary?
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                              That's not really an appropriate comment on a public forum, is it Gary?
                              Nigel, considering approximately a third of the titled Canadian correspondence players are from Quebec, I was surprised a Quebecer would make such a comment. Is there an approved adjective I could substitute for the one I used? :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It's rather disingenuous to pretend that calling someone an "idiot" isn't a personal attack.

Please don't make work for me. I'm not paid for this gig and I have an obituary/memorial of a Canadian Master to write about.
                                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                                X