Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

xxxx

If you don't mind me asking, which master passed?
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 9th July, 2013, 01:36 PM. Reason: more personal attacks.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

Originally posted by James Williamson View Post
      Nice looking dog.
      Thank you. It's a pure bred Blue Merle Rough Collie. Same breed as Lassie but a different colour. I though of putting her in a show but it never happened. Now she's 12 1/2 and way past her prime.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule?

Give me a day or so to confirm things.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: Canadian Open - Anti-Sandbagging Rule? - Still not Confirmed??

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Hi Bob G:

I agree.

A time frame is required.

If it was the peak rating in the last two years that was to be used to determine "sandbagging", mine would be 1740 (giving a formula rating of 1540) and I'd be able to play in the U 1600 prize section, where, unfortunately, I believe I now belong.

However, if it was a peak rating in the last three years, mine would be 1800, and so this time the formula would put me at 1600! I'd be unable to play in the U 1600 prize section. I'd have become a "sand-bagger"! (ouch).

So the decision by the 2 CO TD's will affect my section, depending on what they decide.

Bob A
          I am now faced with the fact that I will play Rd. 1 of the Canadian Open in only 3 days, and I still do not yet know for which prize I am playing - U 1800 or U 1600!! I have heard nothing publicly nor privately from either the 2 TD's nor the organizers, on whether there is any anti-sandbagging rule in force in this tournament, and if so, what is its wording. This is despite my communications here and privately with John Upper, and his confirmation he was sending my concerns directly to the 2 TD's (he was not the one to decide this issue).

This I know affects many other players like myself - particularly some of us who are not getting any younger, and are seeing our ratings steadily drop as the years go by. The use of peak ratings from many years past would seem clearly unfair. I am certainly in favour of such a rule, and I think a time-frame of within the last 2 years is satisfactory (at least it is for me - I'd play for the U 1600 prizes). But I would also be satisfied with a 3 year time-frame (which would not necessarily be so great for me, given I am really uncertain how bad I am now capable of playing! LOL - I would be playing for the U 1800 prizes).

I think this is a tournament rule that should not have been left lagging so late for decision, especially since it may change prize sections for many players, depending on the time frame. I hope all we players will know what the rule is, if any, and sooner now, rather than later.

Bob A
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 10th July, 2013, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't the principle of that which is not forbidden is permitted apply here, Bob? I think you are playing for the u 1600 prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              Wouldn't the principle of that which is not forbidden is permitted apply here, Bob? I think you are playing for the u 1600 prize.
              But Ken, the sandbagging rules are outlined on the website, see Prizes, the fine print in red!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                But Ken, the sandbagging rules are outlined on the website, see Prizes, the fine print in red!
                Hi Bob G & Ken:

But it is not so clear Bob G, whether there is a rule at all. The note says it is an issue "to be settled"!!??

Here is the website note under "Prizes":

"Issues to settle about Prizes:

Anti-sandbagging policy from the 2009 CO, which was also contested in one Open section:
                *Each participant can claim only one prize.
                If you are more than 200 points below your highest rating, then you will only be eligible for the class prize 200 points below your highest rating. For example, if your highest rating ever was 2250, but you are now rated 1990, you are eligible for the Top <2200 prize, but NOT the Top <2000 prize.
                "Highest rating" includes CFC and FIDE ratings. For Americans, "highest rating" includes your USCF, CFC and FIDE ratings.

This is clear, but not necessarily fair to those whose ratings have dropped for natural, non-sandbagging, reasons. - JK Upper"

So the players in the CO at this point, do not know IF there is any rule at all affecting prizes they are playing for. And if there is a rule, what the TIME FRAME is for determining peak rating, that determines a player's prize section.

Not so great, only 3 days before the tournament.

Bob A

Comment

Not so great, only 3 days before the tournament.
                  Hi Bob,

If you don't like the conditions, don't play in the event. Simple.

Personally, I don't like seedy organizations which even suggest a senior might be doing what is being called "sandbagging" for what is a natural decline in playing strength caused by age.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Hi Bob,

If you don't like the conditions, don't play in the event. Simple.

Personally, I don't like seedy organizations which even suggest a senior might be doing what is being called "sandbagging" for what is a natural decline in playing strength caused by age.
                    Hi Gary:

I love my annual "CO Chess Holiday" when I can do it. I've made 6 out of the last 7 CO's and enjoyed them all. So this is just a minor irritant in what I know will be a fun holiday (I'm not really so concerned about which prize I'm playing for, in fact. It's one big swiss, and I'll just go all out in every game, whether the opponent is higher or lower rated - and let the prize chips fall where they may).

My real concern, though it is admittedly also minor, is that I soon start my annual Canadian Open U 1xxx Blog here on Chesstalk. I blog about the prize group I'm in, who are the favourites, who is leading each round, etc.. It is coverage of a lower section that never gets any notice.

But is my first Blog:

The Canadian Open U 1600 Blog (if there is no rule, or the time frame is 2 years)?

or

The Canadian Open U 1800 Blog (if there is a rule with a 3 or more year time frame)?

Obviously this is a critical issue to my fan base (if any??).

Bob A

Comment

Obviously this is a critical issue to my fan base (if any??).
                      Hi Bob,
                      Yes. I can understand that concern. Myself and the rest of your fan base will be watching closely. In my case, I am hoping you can win enough to cover our small wager when it comes time to pay me.

It is sad that so close to the deadline they are not able to answer a simple question of which prize you will be contesting. Makes one wonder if they make it up as they go along.

I'm currently trying to get off their rating list and cut the ties. However, I've not yet been successful. Probably having my name in the database is good for advertising. On the other hand, they many not be able to handle the separation anxiety involved in cutting me loose.

Anyhow, good luck with your event, should they actually hold it. ;)

Gary
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I've asked the CFC office to change Gary's rating and highest rating to Unrated, waiting for my request to reach the top of the "to do" list.
                        Paul Leblanc
                        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

That sounds fair to me. Thank you.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                          X