CYCC - the event begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC - the event begins

I'm copying some posts from John Upper's "CYCC last minute" thread, because I don't want to hijack his thread.

There seems to be some organisational adventures at CYCC

No live games, not FIDE rated, and not enough clocks. One Windsor boy in the under-14 was told to buy a clock, or play without. The sad thing is, I have lots of clocks, and could easily have sent one with each of the 22 Windsor players.

At the time of writing, final (not provisional) pairings for round 1 have not yet been posted on the website. So with no live games, and slow reporting of pairings and results, it doesn't look good for the peanut gallery.

A 6-round event may have been necessary because of scheduling, but no live games, not FIDE rated, and not enough clocks look like poor decisions and poor organization.

A great shame, a record turnout, and no live games.

Re: CYCC - the event begins

Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis on the "announcement" thread

That is really odd. I did not see that the organizes will provide or not sets or clocks. So I assume many thought the same that they would be available to everybody. And why not his opponent required to buy? LOL

I replied:
    Well, I'm getting this by email from angry dad The Windsor kid is pretty experienced and paired way down to a 748 player. The opponent may have said "I'm not bothered", so the arbiter told our kid to go buy a clock, if he wanted one.

It's also a shame that this is the first CYCC in about 10 years not to be FIDE rated. I suppose the few dollars the organisers saved will go to the Canadian Open.

Comment

Another email from another parent about the clock shortage.

"I bought him the new one in here, they charged $79 for each clock and plus $8 for 2 batteries"

So I guess someone is making out like a bandit

Comment

Re : Re: CYCC - the event begins

I can't tell about the details of the tournament, but the even not being FIDE rated might be a better idea. There's no real point in giving FIDE ratings to U8 kids. They will be stuck with an extremely low rating and will have a hard time raising it. Maybe the best solution would be to only have the U18 and U16 sections FIDE rated?
        As for the clocks, it would have been hard to have 130 clocks (although they could have warned the players I guess).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: CYCC - the event begins

I don't see why it would be hard to have 130 clocks.... we have over 100 in Windsor, and the OCA used to have 100 (I don't know how many are left). If there had been any hint on the website, Vlad Drkulec from Windsor could have taken up a box of clocks.

I'm told this is the first CYCC in about 10 years that has not been FIDE rated.

No live games, and at the time of writing, with round 2 results beginning to come in, the official website still doesn't have the round 1 pairings, let alone any results from round 1.

Comment

I must admit to being astounded and dismayed by the tone of this thread.
            I was not involved in the organization of this year's CYCC but was the chief organizer in 2007 which, by all accounts, was a huge success with a record 180+ participants. As I understand it, this year has topped 270!!!! They must be bursting at the seams. I strongly believe the organizing team should be getting kudos, not complaints.
            Get a grip. In most events in which I play, participants bring their own clocks. As others have pointed out, FIDE rating is not an unmixed blessing. Nor is it customary to have live games for the CYCC.
            This looks by all accounts to be a huge success which will ensure that the top young players emerge as our youth champions and are supported in their trip to the WYCC.
            Congratulations all around.

Comment

Re : Re: CYCC - the event begins

I dont think the success of an event should be measured by the number of participants for one year... If Ottawa was to hold it again next year, and as many people were to come, then yes it would mean that the previous event was well appreciated. Obviously nobody could have guessed that the results would not be posted online, that there would be no live games and that 2 batteries would cost 8$.

A better indicator of the success of the event would be to look at how many strong players are playing. I can't say if it's good or not for a national championship though. Most of the younger players are there, but very few of our older top players are playing. Still, I think it's better than usual (so kudos for that!).

Number of top 3 CFC rated players present :
              U18 : 0
              U18G : 1
              U16: 2
              U16G: 1
              U14: 0
              U14G: 3
              U12 : 3
              U12G: 3
              U10 : 2
              U10G : 2
              U8: 3
              U8G : 2

Anyway, with so many registrations we could expect a profit of over $10 000. If this profit is well invested into the youth, I think we can definitely call the event a success :)

Comment

Being a "national championship", it's logical that participants (and their parents) would expect all equipment to be supplied. For example - the 2009 Canadian Open (Edmonton - 203 players) had no problems in this department.

Also - Monroi has been involved with the CYCC since 2006 - providing live broadcasts every year. Check the Monroi site!
                Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Wednesday, 10th July, 2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                  If Ottawa was to hold it again next year, and as many people were to come, then yes it would mean that the previous event was well appreciated.
                  There's a counter-factual that's never going to be tested. We've been having meetings for... 9 months (?) on the CYCC/CO. Do you think any of us is willing to do it again next year, or the year after that??

The only people who might consider being involved in running it again a few years from now are the people (not me) who ignore the s**t posted about the event online. Halldor and Les have been doing this for years, and they have thick skins and a relatively bemused response to the online idiocy. I don't.

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                  Anyway, with so many registrations we could expect a profit of over $10 000. If this profit is well invested into the youth, I think we can definitely call the event a success :)
                  With 270 entries, if the CYCC organizers return only $10,000 to the CFC that would not be a "success", it would be a colossal scandal.... "stealing from children" even, as Felix has called our entry fees in an email to me.

Here is how I estimate it:
                  270 kids x ($225 entry fee - $75 organizer expenses) = ?? :o

I hope Felix's problem is just that he's terrible at math.

But maybe I'm the one who is bad and math, and Felix Dumont would be willing to make a gentleman's wager on this?

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    I'm told this is the first CYCC in about 10 years that has not been FIDE rated.
                    The first CYCC that had at least some sections FIDE-rated was in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                      With 270 entries
                      How many free entries did you give? I counted in total 278 players. :)

Have you already stats by provinces? (and more details distribution for Ontario :)

Comment

That makes it 270 X 150= $40.500.00

Hope that helps.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I used the number 270 because there were 271 entries by PayPal and cheque, and that's what I have in my spreadsheets.

But I no longer have the most complete and up-to-date list of entries. When we started taking cash entries on site on Tuesday night, my list of PayPal cheque-paid entries became obsolete.

My list needs to have the names of players added on Tuesday, but Bill Doubleday hasn't emailed me the list yet.

I'll do a full breakdown of provinces etc after the event is over. I'm busy now.

Comment

I concur with Gordon Ritchie about the tone of this thread. Let the organizers run this record breaking tournament in relative peace.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: CYCC - the event begins

There's a counter-factual that's never going to be tested. We've been having meetings for... 9 months (?) on the CYCC/CO. Do you think any of us is willing to do it again next year, or the year after that??

The only people who might consider being involved in running it again a few years from now are the people (not me) who ignore the s**t posted about the event online. Halldor and Les have been doing this for years, and they have thick skins and a relatively bemused response to the online idiocy. I don't.

With 270 entries, if the CYCC organizers return only $10,000 to the CFC that would not be a "success", it would be a colossal scandal.... "stealing from children" even, as Felix has called our entry fees in an email to me.

I hope Felix's problem is just that he's terrible at math.

But maybe I'm the one who is bad and math, and Felix Dumont would be willing to make a gentleman's wager on this?
                              I was talking of the organizers part.
                              271*$75=$20 325
                              Now, obviously a 6 rounds tournament does not cost that much to organize, and we didn't even count the other sources of revenues (sponsors, sold material on site...). So the question is how much profit will be given back to the youth, as it's usually the case.

I'm not criticizing the entry fee. I find it extremely high, but I know it's hard to do without it (without at least changing the whole format of the tournament). What I don't like is when money disappear (and it happens extremely often with the CYCC). This is stealing from the youth. Still, I'm confident you'll make a nice surplus and will publish a financial report to show us how you will use it.

Sorry if my message offended you, John. I don't like things to be either black or white. Measuring the success of an event by the number of players is not a good idea (although it never hurts to have many players). Many US tournaments have lots of players, but are poorly organized. Even for the Quebec Open, I don't do this. In my opinion, some of the most succesful years were not those with the most players. As I said, I see three ways to determine if the event is successful:
                              1) The strength of the tournament (which as I said seemed to interest most stronger players). The format has never been ideal to attract the strongest players, so if there's someone to criticize it's definitely not the organizers.
                              2) How the money is spent. I don't want to criticize or congratulate on this, as obviously the tournament is not even over and there's no financial report. As I said though, if the expenses are about the same as usual (slightly bigger because of the number of players), there should be a huge surplus, which is great :)
                              3) How much kids like it. I've received good feedbacks for now, so I don't want to criticize how the tournament is going on.
                              So, I don't think I'm being so pessimistic. The organizers are at only one step (giving back the profit), of making a memorable event.

Comment

Working...
                              X