CYCC - the event begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: CYCC - the event begins

As a CFC Governor, Felix, you can propose any changes to the CYCC that you wish for a vote by the Governors.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: CYCC - the event begins

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
      As a CFC Governor, Felix, you can propose any changes to the CYCC that you wish for a vote by the Governors.
      I know. This is why I say I don't like the format, but that we can't criticize it too much. We unfortunately do not have better options for now. The best would be to have something similar to the CMA Canadian Challenge, but this would require more money (from both the CFC and the provinces).

Comment

CYCC "Profit" - CFC Governor Discussion?

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        For future note, the governors need to at least discuss whether "profit" from a CYCC (beyond all expenses and the mandatory return to CFC for travel bursaries) does not go, at least totally, to the organizer. And, of course, a key issue here is whether we will drive away potential organizers. In Ottawa in 2007, the organizers returned a sizeable sum to the CFC from the CYCC, beyond the bursary prize money. But that was generously voluntary on their part. Is this the best that can be hoped?

Bob A

Comment

Re: CYCC "Profit" - CFC Governor Discussion?

Bob, I am not sure what you are saying. In 2007, thanks largely to substantial private and corporate contributions, we generated a net net surplus of over $50,000 which, in a moment of madness, I agreed to give to the CFC to use for the promotion of youth chess. Specifically, it was my understanding that it would be used to ensure that the kids going to the WYCC in Turkey that year would be the main beneficiaries with funding for coaches, etc. Instead, it quickly disappeared down the black hole that was the CFC in those days. The only beneficiaries were apparently Anatoly Karpov and his colleagues. If I had it to do over again, I would not have given the CFC one penny above their due in the contract.
          To suggest that the CFC is somehow entitled to more is, in my judgment, counterproductive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
            Bob, I am not sure what you are saying. In 2007, thanks largely to substantial private and corporate contributions, we generated a net net surplus of over $50,000 which, in a moment of madness, I agreed to give to the CFC to use for the promotion of youth chess. Specifically, it was my understanding that it would be used to ensure that the kids going to the WYCC in Turkey that year would be the main beneficiaries with funding for coaches, etc. Instead, it quickly disappeared down the black hole that was the CFC in those days. The only beneficiaries were apparently Anatoly Karpov and his colleagues. If I had it to do over again, I would not have given the CFC one penny above their due in the contract.
            To suggest that the CFC is somehow entitled to more is, in my judgment, counterproductive.
            Just for clarification, is the 'contract' with the CFC something that is fixed or is it negotiated along with the bid to hold the event? (Is there a pound of flesh the CFC expects as a minimum payout, for example?) I actually don't know and am asking just so that the information is clear. I understand your frustration with the accounting of where the money went. The potential parallels with the money recently received from the dissolution of the Sask Provincial association is scary, BTW.
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The fee to the CFC is fixed, currently at $150 per player, and is intended to defray expenses in sending the winners on to the WYCC, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X