X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 CYCC Champions

After 5 rounds (still one to go) one champions is clear:

Girls U08
    Harmony Zhu 5/5. The closest oponent 3.5/5 (https://sites.google.com/site/ottawa...cc---standings)

Harmony at Aurora Open U2000

Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

That field looks way too easy for Harmony. She could probably have won it in her sleep. Why didn't she try for U8 boys? I think she could have won that handily too
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
      That field looks way too easy for Harmony. She could probably have won it in her sleep. Why didn't she try for U8 boys? I think she could have won that handily too
      If she played in the Open and won, she would have to use her prize to play in the WYCC U8, this way she plays in the WYCC GU8. If she wins that, time to switch to the Open for
      2014. !!

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

There was also some discussion not long ago about the U12G field being quite strong this year. I suggested that Maili-jade Ouellet, despite her 1188 CFC rating, should have no trouble winning. And she did :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

Do you know the top board results for Gu12?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Do you know the top board results for Gu12?
            Maïli won. I don't know about the other boards though. Lefong (the Quebec coach) was giving the results live on Facebook and the FQE website, but only for local players.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              Maïli won. I don't know about the other boards though. Lefong (the Quebec coach) was giving the results live on Facebook and the FQE website, but only for local players.
              Congratulation to Maili! You were correct when you predict her victory.

Any other champions from Quebec?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

Unfortunately no. Nikita Kraiouchkine was the favourite of his section (U18), but he nearly stopped playing now that he is in college, so it's not surprising that he under-performed. There should be lots of players from Quebec in the top 3 though (although at it was pointed out in another thread, it would be pretty expensive for these players to play in the WYCC).

The U14 section could have been incredibly interesting with the three highest rated players, Razvan Preotu, Michael Song and Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratté. It's very unfortunate that none of them could be there (leaving not many opponents to Jason Cao).

Comment

Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Have the arbiters given any indication when they think they may get the Rd. 6 Standings posted?

I've got to get the Toronto Chess News (TCN) July 15 Issue out by 7:00 AM tomorrow at the very latest (going to the Can. Open) - and I'd like to report on the results of the regular play at least (I'll have to do playoffs results next Issue).

Just wondering how late I may have to stay up?? LOL

Bob A

Comment

Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Rd. 6 Standings have just been posted - kudos to the arbiters!

Bob A

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

There was also some discussion not long ago about the U12G field being quite strong this year. I suggested that Maili-jade Ouellet, despite her 1188 CFC rating, should have no trouble winning. And she did :)
                      Well done for the champion, but the whole discussion about the U12G field being overly strong had no real merit. Hardly a good time to be looking for a special exemption.
                      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Saturday, 13th July, 2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

Unfortunately no. Nikita Kraiouchkine was the favourite of his section (U18), but he nearly stopped playing now that he is in college, so it's not surprising that he under-performed. There should be lots of players from Quebec in the top 3 though (although at it was pointed out in another thread, it would be pretty expensive for these players to play in the WYCC).

The U14 section could have been incredibly interesting with the three highest rated players, Razvan Preotu, Michael Song and Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratté. It's very unfortunate that none of them could be there (leaving not many opponents to Jason Cao).
                        Part of the reason for them not being there is probably that even if they win the section, they still don't get fully reimbursed for their costs at the WYCC and at their level, it's way cheaper just to go to a norm tournament in the states than travel all across the world for a more expensive tournament with other hungry kids anyhow. The worlds is only fun for those going for the experience as it's not a practical tournament to go norm-hunting in
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks Bob,

the standings would have been posted hours earlier, but I got sucked into a 3 hour-long appeal process. (no fun for anyone there, but the two girls involved could NOT have been nicer under such stressful circumstances: clear, direct and helpful answers from both, and I had no sense that either of the two were twisting the facts to her own advantage. A real model of rational and civilized conflict resolution, and one that (I'm afraid I have to say it) puts many parents to shame.

Although I gritted my teeth at how painfully slow the process was (when I believed it could have been done much faster, and I knew dozens of players and parents desperately wanted to know about the play-off/tie break rules, but I was too occupied to post them) I have to say that now that it's behind me, I'm glad I got to see it.

TD Frank Dixon, and players Sobiga Vyravanathan and Alexandra Botez deserve recognition and credit for how they handled this. And while one of the players will inevitably be disappointed by the Appeals Committee's decision, both of them should (and I hope will) feel proud about how they handled themselves.

(I'll write about it in the August CCN).

The standings are here.

The play-off info is here.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                            Thanks Bob,

the standings would have been posted hours earlier, but I got sucked into a 3 hour-long appeal process.
                            Three hours for an appeal and still no decision? Sounds like arguing over what constitutes repetition of position.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Three hours for an appeal and still no decision? Sounds like arguing over what constitutes repetition of position.
                              Seems that it is true. On Facebook someone (Mike Lo @ Chess in BC) gave some insight. I will not repeat as it sounded like a incompetence of players & a TD.

Comment

Working...
                              X