Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Seems that it is true. On Facebook someone (Mike Lo @ Chess in BC) gave some insight. I will not repeat as it sounded like a incompetence of players & a TD.
    I'm not on Facebook.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      I'm not on Facebook.
      not too late to join LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        Seems that it is true. On Facebook someone (Mike Lo @ Chess in BC) gave some insight. I will not repeat as it sounded like a incompetence of players & a TD.
        Yes, we followed the event very close. Feeding realtime news from players & parents on-site. We have the BC players final result out right after the playoffs. Check it out if your are interested - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2842...5213846167920/. Yes, you need to join fb.

Comment

Do we have results from the tiebreaks yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Do we have results from the tiebreaks yet?
            I know Adam Dorrance and Kevin Wan won their respective sections.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

There still is an issue for the U18. There was tie-breaks for the third spot. Nikita Kraiouchkine was announced as the winner on tie-breaks and the organizers decided not to do playoffs. So, everyone thought he had the third spot. But, apparently it was announced during the closing ceremony that it was a mistake and that David Itkin finished third after tie-breaks.

Now, if we look at the handbook :
              a) Swiss Sections

Direct encounter
              Sum of progressive score
              Buchholz
              Playoff
              Sonneborn-Berger
              Won games
              Games played with Black

According to this, Nikita should have the third place. Obviously, all of this could have been avoided with 7 rounds and proper playoffs...
              # Name ID Rtng Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Rd 6 Tot Prize
              1 David Zhang 145883 2280 W11 W2 W5 D3 D6 W4 5.0
              2 Aquino Inigo 136995 2211 W14 L1 W10 W8 W3 D7 4.5
              3 Nikita Kraiouchkine 3rd on TB 135223 2334 D4 W10 W9 D1 L2 D6 3.5

Comment

Attn Felix

Stop spending your time on chesstalk today, go out and celebrate!

Happy birthday!:)

Comment

Did they have an International Arbiter for the CYCC? Do they have one for the Canadian Open?
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Re : Re: 2013 CYCC Champions

No IA was necessary for the CYCC if it's not FIDE rated; I think Danny Goldenberg is the IA for the Canadian Open.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post

Now, if we look at the handbook :
                      a) Swiss Sections

Direct encounter
                      Sum of progressive score
                      Buchholz
                      Playoff
                      Sonneborn-Berger
                      Won games
                      Games played with Black

According to this, Nikita should have the third place.

When I read Felix's post I was worried that the 2013 CYCC organizers had just misapplied the rules.

That's serious. Nikita and/or Team Quebec should certainly file an appeal if he or they think Nikita has been unfairly stripped of third place.

In order to save embarrassment for the organizers and more quickly resolve this for Nikita, I decided to spend a few minutes looking into it.

First, I looked up the CFC rules for the CYCC. (they're here)

The part Felix quotes above is correct. But it is also incomplete. Here is what the CFC Handbook says about CYCC tie-breaks:
                      710. Tie Break:

Should two or more players finish the tournament with the same number of points the following tie-break systems are recommended.

a) Swiss Sections

Direct encounter
                      Sum of progressive score
                      Buchholz
                      Playoff
                      Sonneborn-Berger
                      Won games
                      Games played with Black

b) Round Robin Sections

Direct encounter
                      Playoff
                      Games played with Black
                      Koya
                      Sonneborn-Berger
                      Won games

It is recommended that playoffs only be arranged to determine the official Canadian representative to the WYCC. If playoffs are planned adequate time must be set aside for a conclusion to be reached.

As some eagle-eyed readers might have noticed, the sentences immediately before and after the list of tie-breaks which Felix quotes, add context which undermines Felix's conclusion that Nikita should have 3rd place.

The Handbook says the tie-breaks it lists are "recommended", not required. (Felix left that part out.)
                      As I interpret it, that means the CFC leaves it up to the organizers which tie-breaks will be used.
                      When we were typing up the results on July 13, I was told by event organizer Les Bunning that the tie-break used was most wins. (I hope I'm remembering that right, I am very tired.)

Obviously, all of this could have been avoided with 7 rounds and proper playoffs...
                      could have.

The more rounds there are, the more "spread out" the bell curve of results would (probably) be; and fewer players would end up in ties.

A 7th round would have increased the probability of a unique 1st place finisher, and (probably) reduced the number of players tied for 2nd and 3rd; but apart from small sections with few competitors, it is unlikely it would eliminate ties for 2nd, and very unlikely it would eliminate ties for 3rd.

I agree with Felix that it is obvious that playoffs would resolve ties for third place.

As the Handbook says --- in a another part not quoted in Felix's excerpt --- "It is recommended that playoffs only be arranged to determine the official Canadian representative to the WYCC".
                      The Canadian rep at the WYCC is the first-place finisher at the CYCC. So, if I understand this part of the CFC Handbook correctly, playoffs for second place and third place are not only not required, the Handbook actually recommends they are not held.
                      [or is there some ambiguity caused by the location of the word "only" in that sentence? maybe there is, and that ought to be fixed.]

The 2013 CYCC organizers chose to hold playoffs for 1st place ties, and for 2nd place ties, but not for 3rd place ties. As I read it, the Handbook leaves this choice up to the Organizers by recommending tie-break methods but not mandating any particular one.

Felix is a CFC Governor, so he can propose that the Handbook be changed; for example, to mandate playoffs for the top three positions at the CYCC.

Alternatively, if the bid to host the 2014 CYCC in Montreal is approved (a bid I think Felix is part of), the Montreal organizers could extend the playoffs to cover the top three finishing positions. This would certainly be more work for the organizers, but I would applaud their efforts, since I think playoffs are a much better way to break ties in Swiss events than statistics like Buchholz or Sonneborn-Berger. They're also, IMHO, a more fair way to identify the better player than the tie-break we used at the 2013 CYCC, since (as was pointed out by several people during the London Candidates round-robin) "most wins" identifies the same player in any score group as "most losses".

It remains to be seen whether organizers of future CYCC events are able and prepared to do the extra work to break third-place ties through playoffs, rather than take the easy way out -- like we did -- by using one of the CFC's recommended formulae.
                      Last edited by John Upper; Sunday, 14th July, 2013, 08:51 AM. Reason: misspelled "July"

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

This is the problem. Some people told me that David Itkin won because of the number of wins. However, all the players had the same number of wins (!), so which tie-break was used? We all thought it was the progressive score, as in the handbook, which would give Nikita as the winner.
                        The tournament website clearly says that Nikita has the third place after tie-breaks. So, can the organizers confirm who finished third?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

The line on the tournament website next to Nikita's name, identifying him as the 3rd place on tie-breaks, was added by me because just before I posted it I was told (by TD Halldor Palsson) that that is how the tie-breaks worked out.

Les Bunning told me just before the prize ceremony that Nikita did not win the third-place tie-breaks. I then spent about 10 minutes looking for Le Fong (SP?) -- the coach of Nikita's team -- to tell him this before the announcements were made, but found him only when he was kneeling next to me taking pictures at the start of the awards.

I'll check with the organizers today, and find out which tie-break they actually used. When they tell me, I'll post it.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

This is the problem. Some people told me that David Itkin won because of the number of wins. However, all the players had the same number of wins (!), so which tie-break was used? We all thought it was the progressive score, as in the handbook, which would give Nikita as the winner.
                            The tournament website clearly says that Nikita has the third place after tie-breaks. So, can the organizers confirm who finished third?
                            Oops, my mistake.

In my previous reply to this post from Felix (quoted above), I made the mistake of believing his claim that "all the players had the same number of wins (!)".

This is false.

When I look at the Standings page here:
                            https://sites.google.com/site/ottawa...cc---standings

or when I check the Wallchart here:

https://sites.google.com/site/ottawa...cc---wallchart

I see that Konstantin Semianiuk had 3 wins, and the other players who tied with 3.5/6 all had two wins.

If the "most wins" tie-break was used, then Konstantin should be the winner.

But, as I said before, I will check with the tournament organizers and find out which tie-break was used.

I have to apologize to anyone who read my previous post, and I promise I'll try not to believe anything I read posted this forum by Felix Dumont about the CYCC unless I have independent confirmation of it.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Posting of Rd. 6 Standings?

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                              I have to apologize to anyone who read my previous post, and I promise I'll try not to believe anything I read posted this forum by Felix Dumont about the CYCC unless I have independent confirmation of it.
                              No need to be so condescending. I've made a mistake, and only looked at Nikita and David (who were both announced as winners).

So, let's see what we have :
                              1) Nikita is announced as the winner.
                              2) David is then announced as the winner.
                              3) The tie-breaks that were used (as announced during the closing ceremony) show that Konstantin should be the winner.
                              I imagine the real tie-breaks are not yet decided

I suggest we flip a coin. It will look less ridiculous than all this nonsense.
                              Last edited by Felix Dumont; Sunday, 14th July, 2013, 11:10 AM.

Comment

It's too bad all three are not playing in the Canadian Open. You could pair them together during the first three rounds, and we would have a real playoff with "slow" time controls.

Comment

Working...
                                X