NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hi Andrei, not sure if you confirmed your point, so allow me to confirm that yes, 9 PLAYED rounds are mandatory.

In addition, some others have emailed Francis with various questions. I'm responding to all of them this afternoon.

so just to be clear if say the U18 girls section has 8 players and they dont' play 9 rounds, does that mean the norms/titles for all other sections are invalid, or just the title and norms for the U18 section?

Comment

Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the event....

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
      so just to be clear if say the U18 girls section has 8 players and they dont' play 9 rounds, does that mean the norms/titles for all other sections are invalid, or just the title and norms for the U18 section?
      Hi Joshua, actually, not at all. If a section is too small (less than 10 players), then sections will be combined.

Any other questions?

Comment

Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the even

Hi Aris,
        Are titles really awarded for combined sections? If, for example, there's only one player in a section and it is combined with another section, he would win a title no matter what? Or would there only be one title awarded for both sections (so the player would compete on the same basis as all the others)?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of the

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          Hi Aris,
          Are titles really awarded for combined sections? If, for example, there's only one player in a section and it is combined with another section, he would win a title no matter what? Or would there only be one title awarded for both sections (so the player would compete on the same basis as all the others)?
          Hi Felix, sorry, but I am not completely sure what you are asking? Hal and I are in the process of confirming whether, for example, a combined U18/U16 section would award separate titles for U18 and U16, and as far as we can tell so far, the answer would be yes. One of us will post here upon confirmation. Was that your question?! ;)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the start of

Yes it was. However, as I pointed out, it does seem quite weird. If there's only one U18 player, he (or she) would win a title automatically. Hopefully, the pre-registrations are going well, so we won't have this problem!

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the star

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              Yes it was. However, as I pointed out, it does seem quite weird. If there's only one U18 player, he (or she) would win a title automatically. Hopefully, the pre-registrations are going well, so we won't have this problem!
              Yes, we appreciate your concern, but at the same time, we are implementing the FIDE guidelines as intended. No system is perfect (good or bad!). On the positive side, the registration lists already indicate good spreads "so far".

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: NAYCC - Sitting at 146 registrations one month before the star

Hi again, Felix et al, very late last night, thanks to diligent searching by Francis, here is the applicable article in the FIDE Handbook regarding combined sections - Handbook :: B. Permanent Commissions :: 01. International Title Regulations (Qualifications Commission) effective 1 July 2013 :

1.23a
                If groups are combined to make a bigger group, then the requirements (at least 8 participants from at least 3 federations) in 1.22 shall apply to this merged group. Titles can be awarded to the best player(s) of the subgroups, provided the subgroup has at least 5 participants from at least 2 federations and the player scores a minimum of 50% in a minimum of 9 games.
                Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Friday, 19th July, 2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X