2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    Hi Francis / Aris,

Please try to update the ratings for all the players as there are less than two weeks now to commencement

Thanks
    Hi Gary, I thought that we had mentioned this before, but basically, there will be a big ratings capture, about August 8th, but basically when the CFC ratings come that week. We will capture at least CFC, FQE, and FIDE.

Then, which rating is used, and other related guidelines, have been defined in a blurb that Francis is posting on the NAYCC website. Look for something entitled something like RATINGS & RANKINGS. See you in a few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      Hi Gary, I thought that we had mentioned this before, but basically, there will be a big ratings capture, about August 8th, but basically when the CFC ratings come that week. We will capture at least CFC, FQE, and FIDE.

Then, which rating is used, and other related guidelines, have been defined in a blurb that Francis is posting on the NAYCC website. Look for something entitled something like RATINGS & RANKINGS. See you in a few weeks!
      From the NAYCC website:

"RATINGS AND RANKINGS OF PLAYERS:

"slowest time control" ratings
      - all references in this section to "ratings", are to "slowest time control" ratings
      - if none available, Tournament Direction may consider faster time control ratings

USCF rating source:
      Regarding USCF ratings, we will be using "latest tournament" (vs. "latest published").

Rating selection for ranking within section:

- note there will be no rating conversions between CFC, FIDE, FQE, and USCF ratings
      - rating conversions will be used only if a country's rating system is significantly different
      - on Thursday, August 8th, or as soon as feasible after that weekly CFC ratings update,
      Tournament Direction will capture at least all current CFC, FIDE, FQE, and USCF ratings
      - for Canadian (non-Quebec) players, the higher of CFC or FIDE
      - for Quebec players, the higher of FQE, CFC, or FIDE
      - for U.S.A. players, the higher of USCF or FIDE
      - for other countries, the higher of that country (perhaps converted) or FIDE
      ranking players with identical ratings after rating selection (from above)

Tournament Direction will rank players with identical ratings on a case-by-case basis,
      while considering all known ratings for the players in question, and decisions will be final."

Comment

Re : Re: 2013 NAYCC will set a new attendance record!

Haïti tournaments are FQE rated (as per an agreement between Quebec and Haïti). If you are looking for a representative rating for the three players from Haïti, I suggest using their FQE rating.

Also, there's no mention of CMA ratings. I imagine they won't be used?

Comment

are you doing anything to verify the age of participants especially since the tie-break specifically mentions birthday as a tie-break mechanism. also i see kids in sections where their birth year makes them ineligible for the section that they show up in on the NAYCC website.

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
          From the NAYCC website:

"RATINGS AND RANKINGS OF PLAYERS:

"slowest time control" ratings
          - all references in this section to "ratings", are to "slowest time control" ratings
          - if none available, Tournament Direction may consider faster time control ratings

USCF rating source:
          Regarding USCF ratings, we will be using "latest tournament" (vs. "latest published").

- note there will be no rating conversions between CFC, FIDE, FQE, and USCF ratings
          - rating conversions will be used only if a country's rating system is significantly different
          - on Thursday, August 8th, or as soon as feasible after that weekly CFC ratings update,
          Tournament Direction will capture at least all current CFC, FIDE, FQE, and USCF ratings

Tournament Direction will rank players with identical ratings on a case-by-case basis,
          while considering all known ratings for the players in question, and decisions will be final."

Comment

Tell all kids to bring passports or a birth certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
              From the NAYCC website:

Hi Francis,

I believe that the rules published are not according with FIDE Handbook 04.2:

Initial Ranking list:
              Due to the principles of rating based swiss systems the initial ranking of a player is according to his FIDE rating. If the player has no FIDE rating his initial ranking will be determined according to the best available informations about his strength (e.g. his national rating adapted due to the relation between FIDE rating and national rating).
              Look like those rules can be applied just for the players with no FIDE rating.

Andrei

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                Hi Francis,

Andrei
                Hi Andrei,

Thank you for your input on the NAYCC.

The rating delineation on the website was supplied by the
                NAYCC's Chief Arbiter, Aris Marghetis, who is somewhere in
                California (but not in email contact), on his way to San Diego! :-)

I have texted him however, and am sure he will be able to
                resolve any rating or other issues to your satisfaction asap.

Thanks!
                Francis

Comment

Hi Francis,

Andrei
                  Hi Andrei, I have connectivity for a few minutes! :)

The thinking we had behind taking the "higher of" rating is that most youth's FIDE ratings are too low. Therefore, it seems like a good idea to do it this way. We will confirm with Hal that we can stipulate this as a "house rule".

Best regards, Aris.

Comment

Hi Francis,

Andrei
                    Andrei, Rene, et al; Hal has confirmed with FIDE that we can implement our "highest of" rating selection.

And later tonight, I am re-checking that section on the website, as I believe there's another small change.

Comment

Andrei, Rene, et al; Hal has confirmed with FIDE that we can implement our "highest of" rating selection.

And later tonight, I am re-checking that section on the website, as I believe there's another small change.

here' s \a question, is this kid in the right section, or is it the right name, i find no record of anyone with this name on the USCF website with this rating or for this age group

MICHAEL LU U-8 1722 USA

Comment

also a quesiton if some kids names have been removed from the pre-registered list, does that mean that they withdrew from going?

Comment

Originally posted by david lu View Post
                          here' s \a question, is this kid in the right section, or is it the right name, i find no record of anyone with this name on the USCF website with this rating or for this age group

MICHAEL LU U-8 1722 USA
                          Different staff, on different shifts, inputting confusing
                          ratings from the CFC, FQE, USCF, FIDE, etc., etc!!

Bear with them, there are more!! :-)

I looked them over last night - the ratings have all been
                          updated upto August 8, master file has been prepared,
                          is being vetted, and new ratings will be up midnite tonite!!

Correct info for Michael Lu (USCF ID:15113330)
                          Current published rating: 356.

Francis.

Comment

Originally posted by david lu View Post
                            also a quesiton if some kids names have been removed from the pre-registered list, does that mean that they withdrew from going?
                            Yes, couple of unavoidable withdrawals (illness in family, etc).

Francis

Comment

Working...
                            X