World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Everyone has seen the bracket for the World Cup Matches in Tromsø, I expect.

http://www.chessworldcup2013.com/ima...airingTree.pdf

The action takes place between August 10 and September 3.

http://www.chessworldcup2013.com/

Bob Armstrong has given the Canadian pairings already:

(113) Sambuev vs (16) Morozevich
    (31) Malakhov vs (98) Hansen
    +++++++++

As in March Madness basketball, a lot of the fun is making predictions as to who will be first out of the gate and who will be in the Final Four. There is quite an extensive list of these at:

http://www.chess.com/blog/bigville/2...up-predictions

I am interested in how Mamedyrarov (9) is handicapped. The punter gives him winning against (120) Shoker in the First Round, against Smeets (73) in the Second, but losing to Nepomniachtchi (24) in the Third.

Another pairing of interest is Aronian (1) vs Markvov (128). Could the last seeded beat the first?

This news item from chess-news.ru today has charges of cheating of the type which have become all too frequent these days:

Mikhail Markov Cheated to Qualify For the World Cup, - GM Anton Filippov Says

Sunday, 21.07, 2013

An interview in which GM Anton Filippov of Uzbekistan (2643) tells about the player from Kyrgyzstan Mikhail Markov (2305) was published on Whychess. These two players qualified for the World Cup (which will take place in Tromso, Norway in August) in the zonal tournament.

"The first hint on Markov being really able to claim for the qualifying place emerged when he played against Dzhurabek Khamrakulov," Filippov said. "Dzhurabek had a better position which could quickly finish in his favor. However, Markov somehow managed to get out of that and outplay Dzhurabek in his time trouble winning a pawn; later he confidently squeezed out a win in the queen endgame. I faced Markov in the next round. This is what seemed strange to me while playing against him: when you play a game you usually feel some pressure, excitement, you feel some brainwork. At some point I understood there was nothing like that from his side!

He was literally "tabula rasa"! And here's something more: he played a variant, which he has never played before. Of course I was preparing prior to the game and I never expected something like that - he usually plays Paulson variation. I remember we played rapid in Almaty and he played Paulson, so I mainly prepared to that. Unexpectedly, he came up with Petrov's defence. [...] I played a new variant and he replied quite quickly but not with the strongest moves. When the position became critical, he suddenly found the strongest decision which made me to think something was wrong here: he chooses a strange variation and at some point I found myself already forced to defend. [...]

Another interesting thing happened in the endgame: my rival took his king, which meant now he had the only move to make, but suddenly it turned out he had no idea of what to do! He put his king back, remember he had the ONLY move to make. I don't really know how to explain that, because I think that when you take your king and it turns out you have the only choice, you just do it even if it brings you to a loss. This made me to think that maybe something like a "transmission failure" happened there. At the crucial moment, however, he didn't make the move I expected, so I relaxed. I thought that maybe I was wrong and he was just playing beyond his limits...

The most striking game took place between Markov and Murtas [Kazhgaleyev]. He [Markov - CN] again plays the variation he never used to play before, makes some strange move and then solves all the problems AMAZINGLY quickly. He gets a comfortable advantage, according to Murtas's assessment the position was worse. [...] So, he plays quickly and confidently without having any problems in the openings against GMs, he gets better positions by playing absolutely new variants for him.

All this stayed more or less unnoticed until the 8th round. In this round Markov was facing Atabayev Maksat of Turkmenistan and his play at some point made me really excited, because it was a play of a GREAT positional master, who was putting up pressure in a masterly fashion.

I enjoyed every move he made. Here he puts the "heat on", keeps the pressure... Strangely enough the endgame they proceeded to was most likely to finish in a draw. We left for a supper and suddenly this thought crossed my mind that the Kyrgyz player shows a brilliant play in this tournament. It's hard to blame someone having no valid proof, but only indirect evidence. When we got back from supper we were informed that Markov won. The chief arbiter (Husan Turdialiev - Whychess) approached me asking what I think of Markov's performance in this competition. I was honest and said that I had some doubts, but yet I wasn't sure if he is really cheating."

Filippov also noted that some of Kyrgyz players were deliberately losing their games against Markov's opponents in order to raise up his Buchholz score:

"I haven't seen anything like that in my entire career! And all that can be calculated and controlled. So many players being involved in this... That is "unfair play." People demonstratively lose and say that they will do anything only to help their compatriot to qualify for the World Cup. That was a "corporate" deed organized for supporting the Kyrgyz player."

In Round 1 of the World Cup Mikhail Markov will play against Levon Aronian.

http://www.chess-news.ru/en/node/12740

Re: World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Due to the style of players, Sambuev - Morozevich can be the highlight of R1. I expect crazy games, maybe four queens on the board, fortunes being reversed, etc. Anything can happen.
    Hansen - Matlakov will probably be decided in tie-breaks, as both players are solid. It will be great to see Hansen playing Caruana, probably the most promising player after Carlsen.

In general the World Cup format, which tries to simulate tennis competition format, is prone to hazard. Two game format is almost like tennis players playing half a set.
    From R1 pairings, too bad to see Anna Ushenina playing Svidler - hard to see how she will hang around longer...

For the first four I will take Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Del Potro LOL

Comment

As I have communicated to the full FIDE-ACP anti-cheating committee I am on, my statistical work does not support GM Filippov's allegations. Indeed in the game Filippov-Markov itself, where he hints Black used a computer clear through to the King hesitation on move 59, my results show Black with fewer matches (to Rybka) than expected for a 2300-player.

Comment

(Press Release)

THE WORLD CUP COMMENTARY TEAM

30 July 2013

We are proud to present the commentary team for our live coverage of the FIDE World Cup 2013. Lawrence Trent and Susan Polgar will take us through rounds 1 – 4. On August 23nd, they will be replaced by Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam and Nigel Short to comment on rounds 5 - 7.

Bios:

Lawrence Trent

Born in 1986, Lawrence is an International Master and despite having a number of international tournament victories under his belt, winning the Porto San Giorgio International back to back in 2005 and 2006, is perhaps best known for his role as anchor and commentator at annual super tournaments such as the London Chess Classic, the Grenke Chess Classic and most recently the World Championship Candidates, together with former World Championship Finalist GM Nigel Short. The Londoner, who has a degree in Romance languages and European Studies from Lancaster University, has also produced a number of best-selling training DVDs for Chessbase, including "The Smith-Morra Gambit" and "Two Knights Defence", and is one third of the popular "Full English Breakfast" podcast, produced in association with Macauley Peterson and GM Stephen Gordon. Outside of chess, Lawrence is a massive Chelsea FC fan and enjoys travelling around Europe rocking to the latest mambo rhythms."

Susan Polgar

Susan Polgar (born April 19, 1969) is a Hungarian-American chess Grandmaster. She is an Olympic chess champion, a chess teacher, coach, writer and promoter and the head of the Susan Polgar Institute for Chess Excellence (SPICE) at Texas Tech University as well as the coach for the 2011 National Championship college chess team. She is the oldest of the famous "Polgár sisters": Zsuzsa, Zsófia, and Judit. Susan is perhaps most famous for being a child prodigy at chess, for being the first female to earn the Grandmaster title through tournament play, and for breaking a number of gender barriers in chess.

On the July 1984 FIDE Rating List, at the age of 15, she became the top ranked woman player in the world, and remained ranked in the top three for the next 23 years. She was also the first woman in history to break the gender barrier by qualifying for the 1986 "Men's" World Championship.[1] She was the Women's World Chess Champion from 1996 to 1999. In October 2005 Polgar had an Elo rating of 2577, making her the second-ranked woman in the world at the time, after her sister Judit Polgár. Polgar went on to win ten Olympic medals (5 Gold, 4 Silver and 1 Bronze) and four Women's World Championships. She has not played in official competition since 2006. (from Wikipedia)

Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam

Editor-in-chief of New In Chess, the international chess magazine that has readers in 97 countries. He is also a prolific writer. His best known books are Linares! Linares!, Finding Bobby Fischer and The Day Kasparov Quit, the last two being collections of his best interviews with the famous and fabled of chess.

Dirk Jan (a.k.a. DJ) made his debut as a commentator at the 2012 World Championship match between Vishy Anand and Boris Gelfand in Moscow. This year he was commentator at the Alekhine Memorial in Paris/St. Petersburg and the first super-tournament on Norwegian soil, Norway Chess 2013, in the Stavanger region.

He has high expectations about his second visit to Norway, this time to the far north: 'The list of participants in the Tromsø World Cup is so impressive – in fact it’s almost literally unbelievable – that we can look forward to a tremendous event. Every day the battle between the different generations and the clashes between favourites and outsiders will guarantee suspense, excitement and great entertainment.'

Nigel Short

Chess grandmaster, columnist, coach and chess commentator.

After becoming the youngest International Master in chess history aged 14 (breaking Bobby Fischer's 1958 record), he was awarded the grandmaster title in 1984, aged nineteen - becoming the youngest grandmaster in the world at that time, he is now regarded as the strongest and best known English player of the modern era, ranked third in the world for a period of 18 months from 1988 to 1989 (third to Kasparov and Karpov), and in the top ten for over a decade. Winning candidate matches against Karpov and Speelman, he went on to challenge Garry Kasparov in the World Chess Championship in 1993. To date, Short has defeated 12 of the 19 officially recognised World Champions since 1886; Smyslov (1), Tal (1), Petrosian (1), Spassky (1), Topalov (2), Kramnik (4), Anand (4), Kasimdzhanov (2), Ponomariov (3), Khalifman (4), Karpov (7) and Kasparov (8).

His wins and achievements include but are not limited to: 3 times British Champion, 3 times Commonwealth Champion, EU Champion 2006, additionally placing first, or tied first, in dozens of international tournaments across the world. Representing England at international level since 1983, he has participated in 23 Olympiads, Euroteams and World Team Championships, the main highlights including 3 Olympiad team Silver medals, one Bronze medal, and one individual Gold. His most recent tournament wins were the 2013 Sigeman and Co tournament in Sweden, and the 2013 Spice Net Tournament held in Tanzania.

During his career he has become known as one of the most extensively travelled grandmasters, visiting over 100 countries to date, but interestingly, the World Cup 2013 in Tromso will be his first ever visit to Norway! A keen promoter of chess around the world, these visits have included lectures and simuls for federations such as Barbados, Trinidad, Malawi, Mozambique etc. in addition to being a patron for the UK charity program Chess in Schools.

In addition to playing, Short has written chess columns and book reviews for the British newspapers The Sunday Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Daily Mail, The Spectator, The Sunday Telegraph and The Guardian for over twenty years, and is now writing a monthly column for New in Chess. After commentating at the prestigious London Chess Classic tournament in 2012 and the Candidates Tournament held in 2013, Short has become well known for his unique sense of humour, wit and commentary style.

Outside of his chess career, Nigel is passionate about playing guitar, wine (drinking, and the finer points), international cricket, swimming and olive oil production at his home in Greece.
        +++++++

I should love to see Nigel, in a straw hat, pottering about among his olive trees.
        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 30th July, 2013, 04:11 PM. Reason: an underlying underlining problem

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth Regan View Post
          Indeed in the game Filippov-Markov itself, where he hints Black used a computer clear through to the King hesitation on move 59, my results show Black with fewer matches (to Rybka) than expected for a 2300-player.
          If someone were cheating why would s/he use the latest software programs like Rybka? Particularly now games are being checked for matches. Why not simply use something like Fritz 5.32? Not as effective as the latest programs but in the long run it should be the same result. Using the latest software is like shooting ants with a cannon.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            Using the latest software is like shooting ants with a cannon.
            Great analogy Gary! :) I really like it, haha!

Comment

On the FIDE World Cup Site they have a prediction contest, where you fill in the bracket by guessing the winners from the first round to the final.

The prizes for the best five predictions are signed chess boards from the World Cup, VIP passes for the Chess Olympiad and World Cup merchandise. The deadline for submitting your completed bracket is August 11, 2013 before Round One begins.

http://chessprediction.ardalen.com/r...ion.asp?comp=1

Play starts on Sunday, August 11, 2013
              ++++++++

3. 2. Tournament format

3. 2. 1 There shall be six (6) rounds of matches comprising two (2) games per round, with the winners progressing to the next round, plus the final seventh (7th) round comprising of four (4) games.

Round 1: there shall be 128 players

Round 2: there shall be 64 players

Round 3: there shall be 32 players

Round 4: there shall be 16 players

Round 5: there shall be 8 players

Round 6: there shall be 4 players

Round 7: there shall be 2 players (or 4 players if a match is needed for 3rd place)

3.6. Time control

3. 6. 1. The time control shall be 90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an addition of 30 seconds per move from move one.
              3. 6. 2. The games shall be played using the electronic clocks and boards approved by FIDE.

3. 7. Conditions of victory

3. 7. 1. For the first 6 rounds, each match shall be played over two (2) games and the winner of a match shall be the first player to score 1.5 or more points. A tie shall be broken according to article 3. 8.
              3. 7. 2. The final 7th round will be a match played over four (4) games and the winner of the World Cup will be the first player to score 2.5 or more points. A tie shall be broken according to article 3. 8.

3. 8 Tie-breaks

3. 8. 1. a. If the scores are level after the regular games, after a new drawing of colors, two (2) tie-break games shall be played. The games shall be played using the electronic clock starting with 25 minutes for each player with an addition of 10 seconds after each move.
              3. 8. 2. a. If the scores are level after the games in paragraph 3.8.1a, then, after a new drawing of colors, a match of 2 games shall be played to determine the winner with a time control of 10 minutes plus 10 seconds increment after each move. In case of a level score, another match of 2 games shall be played with a time control of 5 minutes plus 3 seconds increment after each move. If still there is no winner, one sudden-death game will be played as described below in 3.8.3a.
              3. 8. 3. a. If the score is still level after the matches as described in 3.8.2a, the players shall play a single decisive sudden death game. The player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the color. The player with the white pieces shall receive 5 minutes, the opponent with the black pieces shall receive 4 minutes whereupon, after the 60th move, both players shall receive an increment of 3 seconds for each move from move 61. In case of a draw the player with the black pieces is declared the winner.

3. 9. 1. Prize list

Round 1 losers: 64 x USD 6,000 (net 4,800) USD 384,000 

Round 2 losers: 32 x USD 10,000 (net 8,000) USD 320,000 

Round 3 losers: 16 x USD 16,000 (net 12,800) USD 256,000 

Round 4 losers: 8 x USD 25,000 (net 20,000) USD 200,000 

Round 5 losers: 4 x USD 35,000 (net 28,000) USD 140,000 

Round 6 losers: 2 x USD 50,000 (net 40,000) USD 100,000 

Runner-up: 1 x USD 80,000 (net 64,000) USD 80,000 

World Cup winner: 1 x USD 120,000 (net 96,000) USD 120,000

http://www.chessworldcup2013.com/off...nd-regulations

Comment

Selected Interviews from the Official Site

with Norwegian Grandmasters Leif Erlend Johannessen and Jon Ludvig Hammer

Why is Magnus Carlsen not playing in the FIDE World Cup?

It is an obvious reason - he has already qualified for the World Championship Final and if he loses to Anand in November, he is still qualified for the Candidates Tournament. He could have played because it is in Tromsø and been showing himself to the Norwegian audience. But the main point of the World Cup is to qualify for the Candidates Tournament and Magnus doesn’t need this, he is already a World Champion finalist.

Why is the World Cup Tournament different from other tournaments?

At the moment, it is actually a qualification for the World Championship cycle. For full-time chess professionals, this is what they play for – a place in the World Cup.

The key thing in the World Cup, is that you get to know your opponent a month in advance and you know that you are only going to play this guy and if you lose to this guy, you are just done playing. In the chess world it is very special – it is the only one with the knockout system. So many strong players and only one can win.

In this tournament, who would you consider to be the favorites?

Well, actually the two highest rated players – Aronian and Kramnik, I don’t consider them favorites because they have both qualified for the Candidates. If I had to pick a name, I would say Peter Svidler.

He won the last one and he has shown that he can be really good at these events. Also, he will be so motivated; this will be the one chance he has to qualify for the next Candidates.
                +++++++++++

Two years ago, his victory in the 2011 FIDE World Cup in Khanty-Mansiysk was a career-best performance for Peter Svidler. The six-time Russian Champion didn’t lose a game as he overcame Fabiano Caruana, Gata Kamsky, Judit Polgar, Ruslan Ponomariov and Alexander Grischuk on his way to the title.

In Round 4 he played arguably the move of the event against Gata Kamsky: 26…Re8-e2!!

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1633835

Comment

World Cup Odds

I am not a gambler. I have bet on chess once. It was on Fischer to win against Spassky in the WCC 1972. I bet 50p and won 50p and ever after I wished I had the betting slip for my collection rather than having cashed it in!

I have found the prices for the contenders in the World Cup on-line. I take it that you bet one euro on Aronian and if he wins outright you get your euro back plus 3.5 euros. (If I am wrong, please correct me).

The bookies list most, but not all, of the contenders and their prices. I give the top 17 here, ending with Kamsky. They appear to have professional (chess) help in their picks because the order is not by rating or by seeding.

2013 World Cup. Norway. Outright. 10 Aug 11:00

Name ----- Price

1 Aronian, Levon 4.5
                  2 Grishchuk, Alexander 5
                  3 Kramnik, Wladimir 5.5
                  4 Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar 5.6
                  5 Karjakin, Sergey 6.2
                  6 Caruana, Fabiano 8
                  7 Nakamura, Hikaru 9
                  8 Svidler, Peter 10.5
                  9 Adams, Michael 17
                  10 Morozevich, Alexander 18
                  11 Leko, Peter 21
                  12 Ivanchuk, Vassily 26
                  13 Le, Quang Liem 31
                  14 Ponomariov, Ruslan 36
                  15 Gelfand, Boris 36
                  16 Wang, Hao 36
                  17 Kamsky, Gata 41

Comment

Looks like those odds are very low. If you cover all players and want to get back $100 you supposed to bet around $200 (22.2 for Aronian, 20 for Grishchuk...). Brokers margin is around 50 % (probably market is very narrow). Usual margin on NBA or NHL games is 3-4%.

Comment

Some unscrupulous wealthy person should bet a million bucks on one of the relative longshots (say Ivanchuk) then pay off each of his opponents a million to throw their matches. Big profits if they could pull it off.

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                      World Cup Odds

I am not a gambler. I have bet on chess once. It was on Fischer to win against Spassky in the WCC 1972. I bet 50p and won 50p and ever after I wished I had the betting slip for my collection rather than having cashed it in!

I have found the prices for the contenders in the World Cup on-line. I take it that you bet one euro on Aronian and if he wins outright you get your euro back plus 3.5 euros. (If I am wrong, please correct me).

The bookies list most, but not all, of the contenders and their prices. I give the top 17 here, ending with Kamsky. They appear to have professional (chess) help in their picks because the order is not by rating or by seeding.

Name ----- Price

1 Aronian, Levon 4.5
                      2 Grishchuk, Alexander 5
                      3 Kramnik, Wladimir 5.5
                      5 Karjakin, Sergey 6.2
                      6 Caruana, Fabiano 8
                      7 Nakamura, Hikaru 9
                      8 Svidler, Peter 10.5
                      9 Adams, Michael 17
                      11 Leko, Peter 21
                      12 Ivanchuk, Vassily 26
                      13 Le, Quang Liem 31
                      14 Ponomariov, Ruslan 36
                      15 Gelfand, Boris 36
                      16 Wang, Hao 36
                      17 Kamsky, Gata 41
                      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                        Looks like those odds are very low. If you cover all players and want to get back $100 you supposed to bet around $200 (22.2 for Aronian, 20 for Grishchuk...). Brokers margin is around 50 % (probably market is very narrow). Usual margin on NBA or NHL games is 3-4%.
                        Isn't "Any Other " for 1$ 29$ a good bet? You get so many players, inducing Bator, Eric, Ramirez... and so on...

Comment

I agree, Andrei. In my opinion, it's the only possible bet. However, 29 is probably also too low.

Comment

From thechessdrum.net

Egypt’s Adly denied travel to World Cup!

Aug 7th, 2013 by Daaim Shabazz

BREAKING NEWS! In what is clearly a disappointing development for Egyptian chess, GM Ahmed Adly was unable to receive clearance to participate in the 2013 World Cup, which starts on August 10th in Tromso, Norway. Adly was prevented from traveling due to an obligatory service to the Egyptian Army.

There was apparently no way to delay the filing of military application for service. Adly told The Chess Drum that he had exhausted all efforts including the submission of an official letter from the Ministry of Sports. After trying various channels, today’s deadline to receive a concession for travel has passed. The others Egyptian players (GM Bassem Amin, GM Essam El-Gindy and IM Samy Shoker) were not affected.

Adly graduated from Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime in February and is required to submit papers to report for military service on next Sunday. The service would be one year if selected. Egypt has been gripped in a tense period of political instability following the removal of President Mohammed Morsi from power. Adly did not mention any political issues in his case.
                            +++++++++++

Adly (90) was paired in the first round with Moiseenko (39), the winner to play the winner of Bacrot (26) - Agdestein (103).

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                              World Cup Odds

Name ----- Price

1 Aronian, Levon 4.5
                              2 Grishchuk, Alexander 5
                              3 Kramnik, Wladimir 5.5
                              5 Karjakin, Sergey 6.2
                              6 Caruana, Fabiano 8
                              7 Nakamura, Hikaru 9
                              8 Svidler, Peter 10.5
                              9 Adams, Michael 17
                              11 Leko, Peter 21
                              12 Ivanchuk, Vassily 26
                              13 Le, Quang Liem 31
                              14 Ponomariov, Ruslan 36
                              15 Gelfand, Boris 36
                              16 Wang, Hao 36
                              17 Kamsky, Gata 41
                              Historically, odds makers listed the payout for a unit bet. Thus if you bet $1 and the odds listed were 4.5 : 1, you kept your dollar and collected $4.50.

The 'trick' of including the $1 in the payout is a recent on-line flim-flam to make it look like you're winning more.

So, if the odds listed above were put out by a pro odds maker, it would not include the buck in the pay-back. If you bet $1 on Aronian you would win $4.50 and get your $1 back.

Comment

Working...
                              X