X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Posted on the Official Website:

APPEAL BY GM JORGE CORI TROMSO WORLD CUP 2013

The Committee of Appeals received an appeal from GM Jorge Cori, within the time limit together with a $500 deposit. The committee interviewed GM Cori, Chief Arbiter Ignatius Leong, Arbiter Eduard Duchovny, and the volunteer Tron Walseth as well as his opponent GM Radjabov.

GM Cori advised that he thought the starting time of the game was 6.50 pm not 6.15 pm. He stated he saw on the internet people sitting down for the round and he rushed to the tournament hall and he arrived two minutes late.

The committee received evidence that both of the players were informed of the correct time for the start of the next round.

The Committee unanimously reject the appeal of GM Cori.

13 August 2013

Tromso

(signed)
    Chairman
    Nigel Freeman

(signed)
    Boris Kutin

(signed)
    Ali Nihat Yazici

Comment

Re : Re: World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Congratulations to both Eric and Bator, even do they didn't win. They provided us with exciting chess and can be proud of their performance!

For those who still haven't seen it, the first game between GM Sambuev and GM Morozevich is analyzed here : http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/129

Comment

Re: Re : Re: World Cup Matches, Tromsø

World Cup 2013

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Summary of Round One, Playoff Day

After two days and two games of classical chess, 36 matches out of 64 were decided. The 28 remaining matches continued as playoffs.
        There were to be two rapid games played at a rate of 25 minutes for each player with an increment of 10 seconds per move. The first set started at 3 p.m. local time. In these games, the favorites won the matches – Peter Svidler, Michael Adams, Dmitry Andreikin etc. Bator Sambuev played Alexander Morozevich with the results of 0,0.5 posted earlier in this thread.

Bator spoke with Alexander and Susan after his match:

Susan – Where are you from originally?
        Bator – From Russia – I was born in Buryatia. Do you know Lake Baikal? Around there.
        Susan – When did you move to Canada?
        Bator – In 2007.
        Susan – You started playing back in Russia. You were a master there? Why did you come to Canada?
        Bator – A better future for my family. I teach chess as a profession
        Susan – Tell us about your family.
        Bator – I am married with a six-year-old son.
        Susan – Does he play chess yet?
        Bator – No, he prefers checkers.
        Susan – That’s a start. Tell us about your match with Morozevich.
        Bator – I understood that anything can happen in one game. The first game, I had a good position from the opening. He spent a lot of time in the opening and I decided to complicate things. He made a big blunder on move 40.
        Susan – Congratulations on the major upset. I’m sorry you are not moving on. Just a couple of more questions: Where do you live in Canada?
        Bator – In Montreal.
        Susan – Do you speak French?
        Bator – Just a little bit because first I lived in Toronto. I took some courses but I need more practice.
        ++++++++

(From the Official Site) Women’s World Champion Anna Ushenina lost the first rapid game but could have upset Peter Svidler in the second one. She missed her chances and the Russian player won the match.

13 matches in rapid finished in draws and 26 players continued their battles with 10 min + 10 sec time control. Gata Kamsky, Alexei Shirov, Teimour Rajabov, Ruben Felgaer, Rafael Leitao, Eltaj Safarli, Viktor Bologan, Yuriy Kryvoruchko, Alexandr Shimanov were successful at this stage. Not an easy match for Gata Kamsky, who managed to win only the fifth game of the match against Chinese IM Lou Yiping.

Hou Yifan and Alexei Shirov exchanged victories in rapid and continued their match. The Latvian player proved to be stronger in 10 min + 10 sec time control. Despite the final outcome, the former Women’s World Champion showed great play in the event.

After two draws in classic Azeri GM Teimour Rajabov struggled against GM Jorge Cori (Peru) in rapid – each won a game. The spectators were waiting for an exciting continuation with 10 min+10 sec time control.

Surprisingly, Cori didn’t appear in time for the first game. One second after the start of the round, Teymour Rajabov stopped the clock, signed the score sheet and left the playing hall, while Jorge Cori was running to the playing hall.

Using the advantage of the white pieces, the Azeri player didn’t have problems drawing the second game. After the end of the match, GM Cori from Peru made an appeal.

Lawrence Trent did the interpretation in Spanish at the hearing. Jorge lost his appeal. I have posted the statement of the judgement in an earlier part of this thread.

Again, from the Official Tournament Site - Four matches remained to be decided in blitz. Two Russian GMs Zviaginsev and Alekseev were defeated by Polish GM Swiercz and Indian GM Adhiban respectively, while players from two remaining boards reached the Armageddon games.

Many participants of the tournament and spectators came to watch the matches Tomashevsky versus Ramirez and Melkumyan versus Granda Zuniga in the playing hall. Playing white Evgeniy Tomashevsky defeated his opponent and Granda Zuniga, who played with Black and needed just to make a draw to advance, also managed to win.

Classical chess resumes tomorrow in Round Two with 64 participants and only 32 of those will go on to Round Three.
        ++++++++

Some comments on today’s action:

- Would it have been so hard to POST the Round times in big digits?
        - Exactly my point! They should have an electronic board. Chess players are not obliged to understand English. Fifty and fifteen are easy to be confused by someone not completely familiar with the language.
        - Cori first withdrew the appeal because of the $500 deposit, but then filed it anyway after Susan Polgar told him she would take care of this money.
        - Congrats to Shirov and Kamsky on *finally* putting away their young Chinese opponents. Shirov has more to look forward to tomorrow!
        - The Cori thing is a shame, but I feel it could have been prevented if he had played more attention. It doesn't make sense for them to have an hour break between rounds. The zero tolerance rule is pretty silly, however.
        - Not only the decision of the appeal committee is a shame, also the quality of their English is abominable.
"GM Cory advised(??)" instead of "alleged", "both of the players" instead of "both players" and the committee "reject" instead of "rejects".
        +++++++++++

Some interesting matchups tomorrow:

Caruana vs Yangyi Yu, Kamsky vs Shimanov, Dominguez-Onischuk, Dubov-Ponomariov, Wang Hao-Dreev, Bologan-Svidler, Adams-Kryvoruchko, Robson-Ivanchuk, Shirov-Wei Yi, Fressinet-Malakhov

Why have I put the Adams game on the list? Well, Lawrence Trent simply cannot pronounce “Kryvoruchko”. He talks about Adams all the time and now he will have a mouthful in talking about his opponent!

Does anyone know anything about the American Ray Robson, whom Vassily Ivanchuk is playing tomorrow?
        +++++++++++++

Just checking in with Dana Mackenzie after yesterday’s round and the choices on his bracket:

Today Robson played fantastically again, and he was the only lower-rated player to not only win but win by a 2-0 score. His reward is a date with Vassily Ivanchuk next round. Wei Yi, who has just turned 14 years old, is the world’s youngest GM and the youngest player at this tournament. Moral: You totally have to take these phenoms seriously. His win is a real disaster for my predictions, because I had Nepomniachtchi going all the way to round 5, and instead he’s out of the tournament. By the way, lovers of the Dragon Variation (for Black) should be very happy with the Nepomniachtchi-Wei game.

Houdini Award: The greatest escape of day two was surely Gelfand (7) against Rahman (122). The Israeli GM, whom I picked to finish second in this tournament, got to a dead-lost endgame with two rooks against a queen and pawn. Rahman’s two passed pawns were mobile and dangerous — but they were not connected. Houdini (the computer, not the great escape artist) showed Rahman as being +5 or +6 pawns for about 40 consecutive moves, with a couple brief excursions into the +11 range. Even though it was an obvious win to the computer, it was never obvious to human eyes. Gelfand hung on and hung on, and finally Rahman allowed him to activate his rooks and set up a perpetual check. Their game was the last one to finish, on move 103. Gelfand breathes a big sigh of relief and moves on.
        +++++++++

On the first day, an incorrect result was posted at the day’s end. Just change it to the correct one and inform everyone – right? Not so easy, evidently. From Susan Polgar’s chess blog:

A number of people asked me why the incorrect result appeared in the first game on the Official website of the Tromso World Cup between GM Paragua and GM Jakovenko. Here is what happened:

- After each game is finished, the 2 Kings must be placed in the middle of the chess board for the DGT electronic board to register the result automatically. If white wins, the 2 Kings must be placed on the 2 white center squares. If black wins, the 2 Kings must be placed on the 2 black center squares.
        - After the Paragua - Jakovenko game was finished, someone placed the two Kings (one white and one black) on the wrong squares in the middle of the board. It was a human error.
        - According to the DGT experts, if such case happened, the arbiter would have less than 5 seconds to correct it. If not, the computer would register the incorrect result. Unfortunately, the arbiter in this section did not catch it in time.
        - Once the incorrect result is automatically recorded by the computer, only the DGT operator can make the correction. Even the chart in the official website is linked to the DGT computer and result cannot be changed without changing the result in the DGT server manually.
        - The Chief Arbiter always double checks everything before he leaves the tournament hall at night. When he caught the error, he immediately tried to contact the DGT operator. Unfortunately, he could not reach the DGT operator that night. That is why the result on the official website was not changed until the next morning.
        - Therefore, the best I could do is to send the "CORRECTED" manual spreadsheet to all major chess websites to post, including my own.
        - A new procedure has been implemented to make sure that this will not happen again. There was never any dispute in the result as both players signed the score sheets with the correct result. Hope this clears things up.

Comment

World Cup Tromsø

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Second Round, Day One

The live transmission began with an interview with the Tournament Director, Morten Sand.

He said that Tromsoe originally wanted to host the Olympiad but it was a FIDE procedure that they also had to bid for the World Cup. So, the WC was where they could test their team, the systems, services and logistics, preparing for the Olympiad.

To make this happen, they started six years ago, in 2007. They were going to launch their candidacy in 2010. They had to establish the brand of Tromsoe early, because it was unknown in the chess world. Even though they have Magnus, they must raise the whole level of chess in Norway to be successful.
          ++++++++++

Yesterday there was the Cori incident, where the 17-year-old from Peru wasn’t at the board in time and was forfeited even after an appeal.
          Susan spoke with him this morning and he learnt from the incident, and had a positive attitude and will be stronger for that.
          +++++++

One big game today is Shirov-Wei Yi. The latter is only 14 years old and has beaten Nepomniachtchi – a huge upset. This is the last thing Shirov wants, after a tough match up against Hou Yifan.

Another good game will be Ray Robson, after taking apart Volokitin, facing another Ukrainian, Vassily Ivanchuk.
          ++++++++

Ali Nihat Yazici from Turkey comes in to talk about chess in his country and the FIDE plan for online chess. The idea a FIDE playing zone online. This is not a competitor for ICC, playchess etc. They need a non-cheating technology, so there are fair play conditions for everyone. A Russian-Italian company is using its technology in Brazil and the Czech Republic now. Ten different chess engines check every move is made. This technology is used to monitor whether there is any cheating going on online.

FIDE opens a new door to the whole world where someone can play a single game to be FIDE rated. This is to carry the real world to the virtual world, where a person does not have to go to a tournament to get a rating. It is only for rapid and blitz play. 5000 people have registered in one week without any advertising. For details see the FIDE Online Arena at the fide site.
          +++++++++

Susan talks about Boris Gelfand. He was born in Minsk in Belarus. But for many years (since 1998) he has lived in Israel, where he is happily married with two children. He has had a great year. Forty-five years old, of another generation and he got up to 2773 in rating (Alekhine Memorial).

[Pinsk is also a city in Belarus. I have used google maps to ascertain that it is 304 km between the two, starting off on the E30. In the back of my mind is the existence of a Yiddish joke about the man on the train from Minsk to Pinsk. If anyone knows it, let him tell it now or forever hold his peace.

We believe that Tom Lehrer has a Lobachevsky song, which mentions not only Minsk and Pinsk but Omsk and Tomsk.]
          +++++++++

Susan: Ruslan Ponomariov is wearing a pair of red pants. Who wears red pants at a chess tournament?
          Lawrence: I’ve got a pair of pants like that.
          Susan: Look at Gata, he’s serious, wearing a tie. He looks like he is on his way to court. He trained as a lawyer.
          Lawrence: Who is the most stylish chessplayer? Sasha Grischuk is rocking in a T-shirt and jeans. Nakamura is wearing a blazer with his sponsor’s name on it – Silence Therapeutics – doing fantastic things in cancer research.
          Susan: Look at Aronian’s shirt.
          Lawrence: I wind him up about his shirts.
          Susan: I see shirts like that in Hawaii.
          Lawrence: Every two weeks, Levon flies to Hawaii to buy his shirts!
          Susan: Caruana is wearing a hoodie but the hood is not on..

(To be concluded – hopefully about the chess and not geography and fashion)

Comment

Susan Polgar and Lawrence Trent are a good duo of chess commentators. Susan makes sure to ask questions about the players themselves and she sets a friendly but not fawning tone. Good for her. I think she even stuck her neck out and shelled out the $500 appeal money for the Peruvian GM who showed up late. The appeal was unsuccessful but, I understand, they gave Susan her money back. I can't help but wonder if the bad publicity associated with pocketing the cash outweighed other factors. Another check mark for Susan if that's true.

Nigel Short and another player will replace them after four rounds. I'd just as soon see Susan Polgar cover the whole event.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
              Nigel Short and another player will replace them after four rounds. I'd just as soon see Susan Polgar cover the whole event.
              I agree. I especially am impressed by her lightning fast analysis of positions and the chances... she doesn't even notice most of what Lawrence points out - she is usually quite well past that.
              She seems well trusted and genuinely liked by almost all the top players - you can feel the obvious respect. I do wish Lawrence would dial it back a bit when it comes to Mickey Adams.... ok,
              we get that he is playing well etc, but there are a lot of players.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Susan and Lawrence hosting the Tromso World Cup TV reporting

Yeah, her analysis is very quick. However, she will give some throwaway remark, intended for almost novice players, to keep those interested who can't keep up with her. She's thinking of the composition of her audience. Lawrence isn't at that level and, in fairness to him, he doesn't pretend that he is. Comic relief maybe. The Don Cherry of chess TV. lol. I still like his remarks and his biases are transparent and mostly just fun. Susan needs someone to show just how brilliant she is, and what a graceful host she is.

It's pretty obvious that some of their guests are not as comfortable as Susan and Lawrence are in front of the cameras. I don't have enough experience watching Chess on TV (my first experience was Chess with Myron Kernetsky on cable TV in Winnipeg - very goofy but almost the stuff of legend in Winnipeg chess media history) to compare them to others, but Susan combines some very good things in her person.

Tromso made a good choice with her. I notice that the TD and/or the Mayor mentioned that they'd like her back for the Olympiad next year.

Comment

Re: Susan and Lawrence hosting the Tromso World Cup TV reporting

Is Myron the guy from the 1950's? I seem to recall he played CC back then.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Round Two, Game One (continued)
                    +++++++

Anish Giri to Lawrence during an analysis of Giri-Chao Li: (impressed) Why didn’t you play in the tournament?

Lawrence: What could I do? They wanted me for the commentary – I couldn’t go in there and win the tournament too!

Susan: A big win, Anish. The first step to winning the match. How many languages do you speak?

Anish: English, Dutch and Russian and I could speak Japanese and Nepalese because we lived in Japan for a while and my father was born in Nepal, but those were a long time ago.

Susan: Where were you born?

Anish: In St. Petersburg and moved to Holland five years ago.
                    ++++++++++

Lawrence: How did the game go? One minute it looked like a race and the next minute we saw Qf6 and it was over?

Alexander Grischuk: That is what a trap is for. I think I had a better position, but I set a trap with Bh3 and Swiercz fell for it (27. Bh3 Nf3 28. Qf4 Nxg5 29. Rd5 Bxd5 30. Qf6 and mates in two)
                    ++++++++++++

Alexander Morozevich defeated Rafael Leitao but both players blundered a fairly basic tactic earlier that would have won on the spot for Black. One of those moves that neither sees and Houdini does and would be a brilliancy if it were made:

35. Qb4?? Bf6?? (35... Ng3+! 36. hxg3 (36. Kg1 Be3+ 37. Rf2 Bxf2+ 38. Kxf2 Qe3# ) 36... Qh6+ 37. Kg1 Be3+ 38. Rf2 Bxf2+ 39. Kxf2 Qf6+ picks up another rook!)
                    +++++++++

The last game to end was Wang Hao-Dreev. There was a controversial decision. Because the situation was so complicated, I quote the write-up in chess-news.ru:

The Russian GM had problems as black, however, managed to grab initiative with considerable advantage in the endgame. Already in a time trouble, Dreev missed several winning chances, as his opponent wasn't defending in the best possible way.

Alexey denied repetition several times and did it once again in a time trouble: 
67...Bc7!! The move is absolutely brilliant as only it brings Black win and certainly it is not easy to find when experiencing time shortage.

68.Kg5 not the best answer, pointing out the best reply for White is already impossible.

68...Bb6? According to Dreev he was thinking of 68...а5! which would almost put White into zugzwang, however, Russian didn't dare to make it.

Here Wang Hao noted that the position repeated three times, not one by one but including the previous positions though. He called for the arbiter to inform him but he neither stopped the clock, nor wrote down the move he was planning to do. In other words Wang Hao claimed the draw incorrectly.

The chief arbiter Ignatius Leong found the claim to be incorrect and added three minutes to Dreev's time in accordance to regulations. This is what happened next: the clock was again on, the game continued, Wang Hao wrote down the move he wanted to make and again claimed for draw and the arbiter registered it. Meanwhile, no move was played between the first and the second claim for the draw.

Dreev, certainly being logical, started to protest against the arbiter's decision: on the one hand his opponent was admitted to be wrong and the game was continued, but on the other hand - the game still didn't continue. The arbiter, nevertheless, insisted on his decision and never changed it.

At the end, Dreev shook hands with his opponent and agreed to signing the peace treaty without writing an appeal.

This is what the Laws of Chess says about the draw claim (article 9, paragraph 9.5 b):

"If the claim is found to be incorrect, the arbiter shall add three minutes to the opponent’s remaining thinking time. Then the game shall continue. If the claim was based on an intended move, this move must be made as according to Article 4."

Thus, apparently the chief arbiter made a wrong decision: the game was continued, but the planned move wasn't made.
                    +++++

Let's imagine what could happen if the move would be made as the regulations put it. Wang Hao would play 69.Kh5 (this is the move he wanted to play and it is even shown in live broadcast - perhaps, by a mistake), after which Dreev could again play 69...Bc7! and at this point there would be no threefold repetition on the board! Then Dreev had only to make a winning move and would he find it or not having three extra minutes will remain unknown.
                    +++++++++

A summary of the round from ChessBase:

The day came to a close with a fantastic score for the white players, including Dominguez's win over Onischuk and Julio Granda over Peter Leko. White won ten games to black's two, with the other twenty games ending in draws. Notable exceptions today were Ivanchuk's win over Robson and Vachier-Lagraeve's win over Isan Ortiz.

There were no big upsets this round, probably the biggest surprises were the young Chinese player Wei Yi holding Shirov to a draw with black, and Julio Grande of Peru beating Peter Leko.
                    +++++++++

When they were summing up the day's action, Susan pronounced "Kryvoruchko" for Lawrence; when she came to
                    Ngoc Truong Son Nguyen, she just said, "the Vietnamese".
                    ++++++++

In the Predictions Lottery there are 809 registered entries. The top ten favorites are:

1. Aronian with 235 picks – 29%
                    2. Kramnik with 130 picks – 16.1%
                    3. Nakamura with 67 picks – 8.3%
                    4. Grischuk with 64 picks – 7.9%
                    5. Caruana with 61 picks – 7.5%
                    6. Karjakin with 60 picks – 7.4%
                    7. Mamedya- with 37 picks – 4.6%
                    8. Adams with 20 picks – 2.5%
                    9. Gelfand with 16 picks – 2.0%
                    10. Ivanchuk with 15 picks – 1.9%
                    +++++++

Comments on the last round

- You and others seem to assume that Cori's version is perfectly accurate. What if this wasn't the case - he correctly understood " six-fifteen" but then somehow forgot about it until it was too late? Then two reactions are possible: 1) "I blew it, stupid me!" 2) blame the arbiter. Again, "six-fifty", i.e. a long break between games, doesn't make sense.

- another myth is that Cori couldn't afford to protest if Polgar hadn't "sponsored" him. The protest fee could be deducted from his forthcoming prize money, $4800 net for first-round losers" Yeah, 4800 for preparation, travels, etc, and it's suddenly a myth that he can't afford to splash out 500 on a protest.

- Otherwise this is a fantastic event to witness! In the second round on Monday the superstars who won in the first round were visibly much more relaxed. Kramnik watched a lot of games, and you could see he was enjoying himself – stopped when an interesting game caught his attention. He is not only a chesspro but also a chess fan! In general there were a lot of walking – I am surprised how much these guys walk during a game!
                    On the tie-breaks Leko, Grischuk, Giri etc. were hanging around in the playing hall, watching the games and enjoying themselves.

- Hou losing today was quite disappointing. However I must say, I am really enjoying Susan Polgar's stellar commentary.

- I'm only watching about an hour of the commentary, but I have to agree that she's quite good.
                    What I'm liking best is that she doesn't dilly dally but prompts Lawrence to move fairly swiftly to other games. Very good work I think as Lawrence tends to get bogged down a bit at times.

Two tweets from Susan Polgar:

Cori will make an appeal after this game. I personally guarantee his $500 appeals fees. #chessworldcup @Tromso2014

FIDE has informed me that I will not be charged $500 for Cori appeal. It's waived. @Tromso2014 #chessworldcup
                    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 14th August, 2013, 11:56 PM. Reason: spell check misspelled Dreev as Drive

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

This is what the Laws of Chess says about the draw claim (article 9, paragraph 9.5 b):

"If the claim is found to be incorrect, the arbiter shall add three minutes to the opponent’s remaining thinking time. Then the game shall continue. If the claim was based on an intended move, this move must be made as according to Article 4."

Thus, apparently the chief arbiter made a wrong decision: the game was continued, but the planned move wasn't made.
                      You should cite the full clause:
                      "9.5 If a player claims a draw as in Article 9.2 or 9.3 he may stop both clocks. (See Article 6.12.b) He is not allowed to withdraw his claim.
                      a. If the claim is found to be correct, the game is immediately drawn.
                      b. If the claim is found to be incorrect, the arbiter shall add three minutes to the opponent’s remaining thinking time. Then the game shall continue. If the claim was based on an intended move, this move must be made as according to Article 4."
                      Did a player claim a draw according 9.2?
                      9.2 The game is drawn upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by a repetition of moves):
                      a. is about to appear, if he first writes his move on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move"
                      From your writing seems that not. (he did not write the move, and he did not execute that move too. He only called the arbiter etc) Thus 9.5 should be not applied.
                      Can he start the whole claim process again (write the move etc)? I think yes :) and the arbiter had the same opinion :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        Is Myron the guy from the 1950's? I seem to recall he played CC back then.
                        Myron is actually back playing competitive chess. In the 1980's or maybe the 1990's as well, he had a really goofy chess TV show on the local cable channel. Some local masters appeared on it now and then.

There should be way more of these local TV shows on a public access component of cable TV; instead, they hire their own wannabe broadcasters and do a fine job of silencing the public.

Comment

Tromso World Cup

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Round Two, Game Two

Two games of interest in the opening.

Shimanov-Kamsky is a King's Gambit, C33 Bledow Countergambit

1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Bc4 d5 4. Bxd5 Nf6 5. Nc3 Bb4 6. Nf3 O-O 7. O-O c6 8. Bc4 b5 9. Bb3 a5 10. a4 Nbd7 11. axb5 cxb5 12. Nd5 Nxd5 13. Bxd5 Ra6 14. d3 Nf6 15. Ba2 *

ChessBomb comments:

- Give Shimanov credit, he's managed to get an advantage within 10 moves. Like I said earlier, white has to get big advantage in 20 moves to win a KG
                          - Kamsky in big trouble here, no time and bad posis. At least he got Shimanov out of prep

Shimanov has a twenty-five minute time advantage after two hours of play.
                          ++++++++++

The other night I was looking through all the Batsford opening books on my shelves and came across two copies of the old paperback Sicilian Defence: Grand Prix Attack f4 Against the Sicilian by Julian Hodgson, Lawrence Day and Eric Schiller and voila, today:

Jobava-Korobov is a Sicilian, B23 Grand Prix Attack

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3. f4 Nc6 4. Nf3 g6 5. Bb5 Bg7 6. O-O Bd7 7. d3 a6 8. Bxc6 Bxc6 9. Qe1 Nf6 10. h3 Nd7 11. Be3 e6 12. Rd1 O-O 13. d4 Qe7 14. Bf2 Rfe8 15. Bh4 Qf8 16. dxc5 Nxc5 17. Nd4 f5 18. e5 dxe5 19. Nxc6 bxc6 20. fxe5 Rab8 21. b3 Rb7 22. Qe2 Rf7 23. Bf2 *

ChessBomb comments:

- f4 Sicilian - nice
                          - Grand Prix attack... now this is a game worth watching
                          - He's gonna launch a pawn storm at Korobov just like Korobov did to him yesterday

I'm not in touch with these things anymore; is the Grand Prix Attack out of fashion, or not?
                          +++++++

Later (after 4 hours play):

Jabova beats Korobov in 37 moves.

Shimanov-Kamsky is loaded with blunders – the most in the tournament so far. Shimanov has won.

The 14-year-old Wei Yi beats Shirov. In the ending Wei Yi has three pawns and rook against B+R. Earlier it was five pawns and rook against B+R.

Susan: How old were you when you started playing chess?

Wei Yi: Six years old

Lawrence: Whom have you been working with?

Wei Yi: I have had many coaches.

Lawrence: What do you do apart from chess?

Wei Yi: Basketball

Susan: You are very tall. Are you in high school?

Wei Yi: No

Susan: So you are a professional chess player.

Wang Hao, who has been interpreting for the young man, tells Lawrence later that Wei Yi is already of 2700 strength.
                          +++++++++++

Aronian has tied with Lysyj in 64 moves
                          Gelfand has beaten Filippov in 39 moves
                          Giri has beaten Li Chao in 28 moves
                          Ivanchuk has beaten Robson in 42 moves

Aronian demonstrated some wonderful ideas he had that didn't quite work in the opening (he was trying to refute 9...cxd4 which he felt was wrong) and once those didn't work, he felt after 14.a3 he was already worse. Later he got a small advantage in the rook but just couldn't turn that into anything significant. So Aronian has to go to the playoffs on Friday as does Vladimir Kramnik, who tried a lot of ideas against Mikhail Kobalia but couldn't get an error out of him. Gata Kamsky lost a terrible game as described above and will have to playoff tomorrow.
                          Peter Leko admitted to playing badly in all the World Cups he had competed in and

"Yesterday I made a mistake on move 11, today I made one on move 10," said a wryly smiling Peter Leko. He could only draw his second game against Peruvian GM Julio Granda Zuniga, so after a loss in round one Leko is out of the World Cup.

(to be concluded)
                          Last edited by Wayne Komer; Thursday, 15th August, 2013, 09:58 PM. Reason: conclusion message added

Comment

Good for him! Lots of players go back to OTB when they get old and can't do well at CC anymore. You don't have to worry about keeping track of dozens of games in play for a year or years. All you have to do in OTB is show up and sit and play for a couple of hours and go home. What could be simpler?

Sounds like it was a fun TV show. Goofy sells. Probably the CFC isn't goofy enough. :D
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

World Cup, Second Round, Game Two (continued)

Susan: Let me introduce Mr. Nigel Freeman, the Treasurer and Executive Director of FIDE. Will you tell us a few things about the number of members you have, where your offices are etc.?

Nigel: We have 178 members and are about to have because Tanzania and East Timor are about to join. After Athletics and FIFA, we have the largest number of federations and the IOC is impressed.

The main office is in Athens; we also have staff in Elista, they deal with ratings and titles and an office in Moscow, which looks after the president and deal with things in Russia.

My expectation is that the Olympiad in Norway will be one of the best. They have been building up for it for 8 or 10 years – more than anyone has ever done before. Tromso is a small place. People got a bit lost in Istanbul, no one knew that an Olympiad was taking place. The same is true of all big cities. In some ways a small city is better – Bled (2002) for example. We become more important to the city, the smaller the city is.

The prize fund here is $1.2 million. Financially, things are looking up. Ten or fifteen years ago FIDE was in a pretty bad financial state. One has to thank Ilyumzhinov for putting it in a good state because he put up the prize fund for Delhi World Championship and the 20% that went to FIDE put us on a firm financial footing.

Apart from the unfortunate lawsuit taking up too much money, we are in a situation where no one on a committee is out of pocket for expenses. Finances are on a more professional basis.

We are encouraging arbiters to get licenses and become professionalized. In FIFA ever year, the referees have to take an exam. We are going to be introducing this in chess. The world championship cycle is on a consistent basis.

Susan: Do you have anything to do with the Bermuda parties at the Olympiads when they started?

Nigel: They began at Malta in 1980 and I wasn’t involved then. During the Olympiads, it started off as a stairwell party at Malta and it has grown to almost 1500 people. Now, when people come to the Olympiads, it is the event most want to attend.

Now the organizers realize it is quite important and take care of it. In Tromso it is going to be held at the New Students’ Bar Complex. Now the joke is that you pick out the place for the Bermuda party and only then, where to hold the tournament!

(Nigel Freeman is from Bermuda; the Bermuda Party appeared to get its name before he was on board at FIDE)
                              +++++++

From ChessBase: The Bermuda Party

The highlight of every recent Chess Olympiad, from the entertainment and night-life point of view, has been The Bermuda Party. It is the supernova big-bang celebration, and has escalated from a wild, noisy affair to one with multiple imported bands, which play throbbing bass-heavy music until well into the dawn. For obvious reasons The Party it is held on the eve of a free day, so the participants have a good 36 hours to recover from its mind-numbing after-effects. Incidentally, in Turin a tour to Venice had been arranged for the free day – the party attendees simply got onto the early morning bus and slept on the six-hour ride to the city of canals.

One interesting aspect of the Bermuda Party is that on the day before it is held a very large number of chess wives arrive at the Olympiad, ostensibly because they do not wish to miss the great action, but certainly in many cases to make sure their husbands do not have to go through the ordeal all by themselves. The same applies for female players, with the chess husbands or boyfriends arriving in time to chaperone the ladies to the party.

(I will not retell The Incident from The Bermuda Party at the Turin Olympiad because everyone heard about it and now it has been laid to rest.)
                              ++++++++

Susan explains the triple-repetition incident at the end of yesterday’s round. This is another event that people will not let go. It is being shaken like a rag doll by a dog. In today’s Chess News.ru, grandmaster Suat Atalik, Turkey, gives his acerbic appraisal:

A lot has been written about the last incident in Wang Hao - Dreev game from Tromso and mainly almost all were wrong. Article 9 of FIDE Handbook surprisingly good and clearly written about the case:

1) If Wang Hao has claimed a draw with Dreev's 68...Bb6 after which the same position appeared over the board 3 times (First was 64...Rc6, Second was 66...Rg1) he did everything correct. In this case he makes a claim about a position, which occurs after Dreev's move which was already stated on his scoresheet. In this case he should never be penalised by arbiters and even if they did so as he were on the move he did the right thing to claim a draw due to threefold repetition with Kh5 on 65th, 67th and eventually 69th move.

2) However reports from different sources implies that actually Wang Hao claimed a draw originally and eventually with Kh5 without having written this move down on his scoresheet. Then the arbiters should not have accepted his incomplete claim and penalize him by adding time to Dreev's clock; which they all did. Pretty fine but then since Wang Hao should have lost his right to end up the game he should either still play Kh5 (obviously his intention) or he could pick up any other move and the game should continue. There is an incredible misconduct by the chief arbiter and others (by the way playing chess for along time I do not know these people's faces and names and I am very sure that Dreev does not either) by allowing Wang Hao to finish the game with Kh5.

Watching the game by coincidence over the camera at that time first I really did not understand the case but 2nd possibility is the most probable one when Leong and his henchman trying to convince Dreev with the illogical scenario of theirs to finish the game as a draw.

The important point is that case 1 and case 2 are completely different from each other. In this very case if Wang Hao's claims were based on the first case, he was still lucky to catch another sequence of moves with his Kh5. However imagine an hypothetical example:
White: Kg1, Rf1; Black: Kg3, Rc3.
Now 1...Rf3(1) 2.Re1 Rd3 3.Rf1 Rf3(2) 4.Rd1 Re3 5.Rf1 Rf3(3) and when it is White to move he has no sequence of moves to catch a threefold repetition. It means that his only chance is to claim a draw if his opponent did not do so after 5...Rf3. That is why the rulemakers have separated article 9.2 to "a" and "b" not to merge two cases with each other which would have been a big mistake many has fallen while commenting upon the incident.

The real implication of what has happened there brings forward who Mr. Leong is!

Even a FIDE Master with an historical rating peak of 2290 according to rating charts and currently 2172 is not up to understand all these finesses during the incident. Couple of questions are immediately arises: How come he became a FIDE Master without going over the 2300 barrier is just one of them. Let us not forget that he holds titles of a FIDE Senior Trainer and International organiser as well.

In reality after running as a candidate for FIDE president and then withdrawing from the elections, he immediately became chief arbiter for Calvia Olympiad of year 2004. Metamorphosis of our era unfortunately replaced Flohr, Gligoric, Kotov, Stahlberg, Lothar Schmid with Ikonomopoulos, Leong and the company (as I have already mentioned) I do not even know the names and I do not even want to know!

The last but not the least instead of this very important case almost everyone's attention was on Cori's forfeit. I would like to say that not only he should be forfeited but also he has to pay a fine for not appearing for a game. Everybody who played at least once in such a qualifier knows that the player undertakes the consequences and accepts also the schedule by signing a contract before the tournament. Albeit, because of a 17-year-old kid (by the way his sister also played the event which makes two people) who simply did not show up due to laziness is immediately supported by Kasparov and Sutovsky and Zsuzsa Polgar.

Well, there is more but I will stop there. If you want to read all of the screed, go to

http://www.chess-news.ru/en/node/13040

Mr. Atalik is no stranger to controversy. From his Wikipedia entry: Despite being born in Turkey, and his current residence in Istanbul, he had disputes with chess organizers in his country, so he declared himself to be a resident of Bosnia and Herzegovina, his ancestral home. During the 2000 Chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Atalik insisted on playing for Bosnia rather than Turkey. As a result, the organizers of the Olympiad banned him from the competition.

To tell you how fearless he is, I need only mention that, in what seems to be the first husband vs wife match ever held, Suat Atalik defeated his wife Ekaterina 9.5-4.5. In Chalkida, Greece two classical games, four rapid games and eight blitz games were played. Strong married men will shudder when they think of the repercussions of such an act!
                              ++++++++++

I have discussed most of the real chess of today’s action previously in this thread, so there is not much else to write now that I have disposed of Messrs. Freeman and Atalik.

Comment

Tromso World Cup

Friday, August 16, 2013

Round Two Playoffs

Already Through to Round Three
                                1. Caruana, Fabiano
                                2. Grischuk, Alexander
                                3. Nakamura, Hikaru
                                4. Gelfand, Boris
                                5. Dominguez Perez, Leinier
                                6. Granda Zuniga, Julio
                                7. Morozevich, Alexander
                                8. Vitiugov, Nikita
                                9. Giri, Anish
                                10.Ivanchuk, Vassily
                                11.Andreikin, Dmitry
                                12.Vachier-Lagrave, Maxime
                                13.Wei, Yi
                                14.Adhiban, Baskaran
                                15.Eljanov, Pavel
                                16.Areshchenko, Alexander
                                17.Tomashevsky, Evgeny

Winners of the Round Two Playoffs

18.Aronian, Levon
                                19.Kramnik, Vladimir
                                20.Karjakin, Sergey
                                21.Kamsky, Gata
                                22.Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar
                                23.Dubov, Daniil
                                24.Dreev, Aleksey
                                25.Svidler, Peter
                                26.Kryvoruchko, Yuriy
                                27.Radjabov, Teimour
                                28.Korobov, Anton
                                29.Hammer, Jon Ludvig
                                30.Moiseenko, Alexander
                                31.Le, Quang Liem
                                32.Malakhov, Vladimir

Matchups for Round Three

1. Aronian-Tomashevsky
                                2. Malakhov-Caruana
                                3. Kramnik-Areshchenko
                                4. Le-Grischuk
                                5. Karjakin-Eljanov
                                6. Adhiban-Nakamura
                                7. Gelfand-Moiseenko
                                8. Hammer-Kamsky
                                9. Mamedyarov-Wei Yi
                                10.Lagrave-Dominguez
                                11.Dubov-Korobov
                                12.Andreikin-Dreev
                                13.Svidler-Radjabov
                                14.Ivanchuk-Kryvoruchko
                                15.Granda Zuniga-Giri
                                16.Vitiugov-Morozevich
                                ++++++++++++++

Lawrence Trent and Susan Polgar have been two very popular commentators. Susan is respected as a player and is a friend of most of the grandmasters. She usually asks questions about their fitness, their families and their personal histories but perhaps talks about age too much. She keeps the commentary going along without a pause and can interpret when necessary and has all sorts of teaching rules for the student. Today she said that two connected pawns on the sixth rank were worth a knight or was it a rook? If you know, please let me know so I can correct this!

Lawrence adds a touch of humour and is a good counterbalance to Susan. He has a good memory for past games and can quote from them at the drop of a hat.
                                They will take us through rounds 1-4 and will be replaced on August 23rd by Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam and Nigel Short for rounds 5-7.
                                +++++++

The online broadcast has been outstanding. I start at 9 a.m. and usually go through to the fifth hour. Today after the first rapid game, the site went blank. The usual workarounds are to follow the games on chessbomb.com and the commentary on http://new.livestream.com/cisha/wcc2013.
                                Those of us who are retired can follow this routine. I suppose if you are at work, you have to wait until you get home to be caught up. The schedule is punishing – 18 straight days without a break, August 11 to August 28, inclusive, and then a day off on August 29. This is followed by five more days in a row. How much work will be neglected around the house? “Henry! How long are you going to be sitting in front of the computer watching your chess today? You have to drive me to my mother’s and go to Loblaws.”

I don’t know if there was ever a year with so much high quality chess available online as this year. What you should do is make sure you book your vacations for August 1 to August 14, 2014, for the Chess Olympiad. What a great pleasure to watch the Canadian Team round by round. Oh, and it is probably best not to tell the family about the Olympiad until late July!

While you are at it, you might as well mark November 6 to 26, 2013 (World Championship in Chennai) and March 12 to 30, 2014 (Candidates) on your calendar.
                                ++++++++++

(On the second game, Kamsky-Shimanov, QP Fianchetto)
                                Susan: It is so funny – when I discovered that Boris Spassky played this in the World Championship Match against Petrosian, I was shocked, absolutely stunned, that at the WCC level you can afford to play this non-ambitious opening. He was punished in one or two games but not in all of them. As you can see black has not crossed the sixth rank. All of his pawns and pieces are in the last three ranks of the board. White has more space and is better but white has to prove it though.
                                ++++++++++

Susan: Gata’s father was really involved with his chess career for a long time and he reached the chess final – challenging Karpov and then he retired. He went to medical school and switched on to law school. Then, he decided not to practice law but to switch back to chess. I admire people of his age (nearly forty) because it is not easy to keep up the energy level to play against 20-year-olds that have everything done for them and can spend as many hours as they want on chess.
                                Talking about the difficulties of earning a living – it should be noted that the winner here will be getting $120,000. First round losers got $4800 and second round losers took home $10,000.
                                The top players, like Grischuk and Karjakin, said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that they have more invitations than they can handle. Grischuk has to resist some offers, whereas Karjakin can take most. Leko said one of the reasons he exited yesterday was that he was so tired coming from three tournaments.
                                ++++++++

Lawrence: Mamedyarov has won against Matlakov, Kramnik has beat Kobalia and Karjakin has drawn so he goes through. Dreev has beaten Wang Hao, which is a bit of an upset. Svidler is two pawns up, can’t beat that. Mickey Adams – I wouldn’t relish being in his position, but maybe he will pull something off. Spanish fans, your hope, Francisco Vallejo Pons has left the building, having lost to Quang Liem Le. So unlucky for Paco.
                                +++++++

Gata: Yesterday was a horrible game. My opponent missed a mate in two, then I blundered and he blundered... I just want to say to the young players who are just starting, professional players like me, can miss a mate in two, so you have all the chances in the world to play chess.
                                Lawrence: Now that you are back in chess are you doing anything differently from the days when you were playing Karpov?
                                Gata: Things have changed a lot since those days. You could just play chess and now it is a scientific approach, analyzing the positions at home and memorizing those lines; younger players become grandmasters earlier, and they have a computer-like approach to chess, more concrete. Now it is all about memorization and about who blunders last.
                                Susan: How do you keep in shape at your age?
                                Gata: I am not quite that old. What is the average age in this tournament?
                                Susan: I would say late 20s.
                                Gata: So I am just ten years older!
                                +++++++++

Susan: Kryvoruchko has moved on, beating Adams. He is quite talented and not that young – 26 years old. An upset, Mickey is 55 rating points higher.
                                ++++++++

Kramnik: In general the match was difficult. Many players, the favorites, are having difficulties in the second round. Don’t misunderstand me, I like Sasha very much but since Kazan (Russia) 2011, I call it the Grischuk Strategy, where you try to make a draw with white, and hold with black and try to get chances and the time limit gets shorter and shorter and maybe you get your chances. So this is a strategy, which makes me believe that a knockout system is not best for chess.
                                I cannot blame my opponent for using this strategy. Kobalia is very solid – he was a trainer of Kasparov. He doesn’t play much but he was just trying to hold and it was very difficult to break through.
                                Susan: You live in Paris though still representing Russia now and you have two children?
                                Kramnik: My daughter is four and a half and my son is half a year old. I taught chess to my daughter during our last vacation. She loves music but does chess to spend time with her father.

A Note on Grischuk Strategy:

In the World Chess Championship 2011 Candidates tournament, Grischuk was seeded 6th out of eight players, and faced the odds-on favorite to win the event, world No. 3 Levon Aronian in the first round. After splitting the four regular games 2–2, Grischuk won the rapid playoff 2½–1½ to advance to the semifinals. In the semifinals, he faced world No. 4 and former World Champion Vladimir Kramnik. Because of his strength as a blitz player, Grischuk employed the strategy of drawing early with white and defending vigorously with black in order to force the match into a blitz playoff. The strategy worked, as both the regular and rapid games were all drawn. Grischuk then won the blitz playoff 1½–0½ to advance to the final. In the final, he faced 2009 Chess World Cup champion Boris Gelfand for the right to play Viswanathan Anand in 2012 for the World Championship. After drawing the first five games, Gelfand won the final game to win the match 3½–2½.
                                ++++++

(ChessVibes comment): Adhiban - Nakamura, Wei Yi - Mamedyarov and Kamsky - Hammer are going to be really exciting. Three young, lower rated players having a great tournament, versus three veterans of the top 25.

Dubov also just beat Ponomariov, so we have another dangerous young gun advancing. Ponomariov definitely dug his own grave here, there was no reason at all to take such short draws in the 5+3, and put all his chips on the Armageddon. Congrats to Dubov for playing it cool and calm, and banging out Rex7! instantly, with ~15 seconds left.

I think Svidler and Giri are going to easily beat Radjabov and Julio, respectively.

Also, does it look like Aronian is sick? He was coughing like crazy in the live feed.
                                Last edited by Wayne Komer; Saturday, 17th August, 2013, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X