World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Tromsø is inside the Arctic Circle. This means long days in summer and long nights during the winter.

ChessBase gives a chart for sunrise and sunset during the tournament.

On August 10, sunrise is at 03:18 and sunset at 22:16 giving the length of daylight as 18 hr 57 min.

The times change dramatically over the course of three weeks.

On September 3, sunrise is at 5:09 and sunset at 20:14, for daylight of 15 hr 5 min.

There must be some players who will have difficulties adjusting to the constant light. I suppose others, who usually play blitz until two or three in the morning and then sleep ‘til past noon, should have no problems.

A final note on the pronunciation of the host city from ChessBase:

In Europe it is known as "Tromsö", but the Norwegians pronounce it "Troom-sa", the first vowel as in "rook" and the second consisting of a special Norwegian schwa which is not easy to transcribe, describe or even vocalise. But these Nordic people are generous and will accept various pronunciations.

http://www.chessbase.com/Home/TabId/...ay-080813.aspx

Comment

I went to a football match there in 1988 while I was visiting with the Navy. It was Bergen vs Tromso and I recall the repeated chants of "troom-sa, troom-sa". I don't remember who won but the score was a very boring 1-0. I also remember the long, long days. It was mildly disorienting and we visitors tended to stay up quite late.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

The World Cup Site does not seem to be working as it should. ChessBomb posters blame the Russian developers for the first round woes.

I am watching Lawrence Trent and Susan Polgar commenting on

http://new.livestream.com/cisha/wcc2013

and you can follow the games move by move at:

http://www.2700chess.com/live

The moves so far in the Canadian games:

Bator Sambuev vs Alexander Morozevich

1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nc3 d5 4 cxd5 Nxd5 5 e4 Nxc3 6 bxc3 Bg7 7 Bc4 O-O 8 Ne2 c5 9 O-O Nc6 10 Be3 Qc7 11 Rc1 b6 12 h4 Bb7 13 h5 e6 14 hxg6 hxg6 15 Nf4 Na5 16 Bd3

Vladimir Malakhov vs Eric Hansen

1 Nf3 Nf6 2 g3 g6 3 b3 Bg7 4 Bb2 O-O 5 c4 c6 6 Bg2 d5 7 O-O Bg4 8 h3 Bxf3 9 Bxf3 Nbd7 10 d4 Ne4 11 Nc3 Ndf6 12 Qd3 Nxc3

ChessBomb has just come on, with each game with Houdini evaluations and the two above are even:

http://chessbomb.com/site/

Later, looks like Eric is ahead now:

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. b3 Bg7 4. Bb2 O-O 5. c4 c6 6. Bg2 d5 7. O-O Bg4 8. h3 Bxf3 9. Bxf3 Nbd7 10. d4 Ne4 11. Nc3 Ndf6 12. Qd3 Nxc3 13. Bxc3 Qd7 14. Bg2 Ne4 [ 15. Bxe4 dxe4 16. Qxe4 Qxh3 17. Rad1 Rfe8 18. Bb4 e6 19. e3 Rad8 20. Rd2 f5 21. Qg2 Qh5 22. Qh2 Qxh2+ 23. Kxh2 e5 24. d5 e4 25. Rc1 ]X 15. Bxe4 dxe4 16. Qxe4 Qxh3 17. Qxe7 Rae8 18. Qxb7 Re3 19. Qxc6 Rxc3 20. e3 *

Bator's game is dead even and he has 39 minutes on his clock and Morozevich just 17.

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 5. e4 Nxc3 6. bxc3 Bg7 7. Bc4 O-O 8. Ne2 c5 9. O-O Nc6 10. Be3 Qc7 11. Rc1 b6 12. h4 Bb7 13. h5 e6 14. hxg6 hxg6 15. Nf4 Na5 16. Bd3 e5 17. Nh3 Rad8 18. d5 c4 19. Bc2 Bc8 20. g4 Nb7 21. Kg2 Nd6 22. g5 *
        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 11th August, 2013, 11:45 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          Later, looks like Eric is ahead now:
          The computer likes black better? I prefer the pawns.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

After 27 moves, it's +0.47 for Morozevich, and +0.07 for Malakhov. Eric may have a hard time with his extra piece against those well-placed (3 extra) Pawns.

Comment

Sambuev - Morozevich

After Bator's 44 Be5 most people would say (against an average master) that Bator is winning. However, Morozevich is no average master!

Comment

That line of the Grunfeld is hard to play against someone with white who knows what he's doing. Bator seemed to play his opening well.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Eric lost, Bator won

Comment

Sambuev- Morozevich (First Round, first game)

D87 Seville Variation, Grunfeld

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. cxd5 Nxd5 5. e4 Nxc3 6. bxc3 Bg7 7. Bc4 O-O 8. Ne2 c5 9. O-O Nc6 10. Be3 Qc7 11. Rc1 b6 12. h4 Bb7 13. h5 e6 14. hxg6 hxg6 15. Nf4 Na5 16. Bd3 e5 17. Nh3 Rad8 18. d5 c4 19. Bc2 Bc8 20. g4 Nb7 21. Kg2 Nd6 22. g5 Rfe8 23. Rh1 Kf8 24. Ng1 Ke7 25. Rh7 Rh8 26. Rxg7 Ne8 27. Rxf7+ Kxf7 28. f4 Kg8 29. Qf3 Qh7 30. Kf1 Ng7 31. Ke1 Rf8 32. Kd2 exf4 33. Bf2 Qh2 34. Rf1 Rh4 35. e5 Rg4 36. e6 Rxg5 37. Kc1 Bb7 38. Be4 Qh5 39. e7 Re8 40. d6 Qxf3 41. Nxf3 Bxe4 42. Nxg5 Bc6 43. Bd4 Nf5 44. Be5 Rc8 45. Rf2 Nh6 46. Rxf4 Bd7 47. Ne4 Bf5 48. Rh4 Ng4 49. Rh8+ Kf7 50. Ng5# 1-0

Malakhov-Hansen (First Round, first game)

A05 King's Indian Attack, Reti, Zukertort

1. Nf3 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. b3 Bg7 4. Bb2 O-O 5. c4 c6 6. Bg2 d5 7. O-O Bg4 8. h3 Bxf3 9. Bxf3 Nbd7 10. d4 Ne4 11. Nc3 Ndf6 12. Qd3 Nxc3 13. Bxc3 Qd7 14. Bg2 Ne4 15. Bxe4 dxe4 16. Qxe4 Qxh3 17. Qxe7 Rae8 18. Qxb7 Re3 19. Qxc6 Rxc3 20. e3 Bh6 21. Qh1 Qxh1+ 22. Kxh1 Rc2 23. Kg1 Rd8 24. c5 Kf8 25. b4 Ke7 26. b5 Ke6 27. a4 Kd5 28. a5 a6 29. b6 Kc6 30. Rfb1 Kb7 31. Rc1 Rxc1+ 32. Rxc1 Kc6 33. Rb1 Rb8 34. Kf1 f5 35. Ke2 Bg7 36. Kd3 Rd8 37. Kc4 h5 38. Rd1 Rd5 39. f3 g5 40. e4 1-0

I couldn't download the PGN versions from the tournament site. Otherwise, it is now working and looks pretty good. First round problems earlier, I guess.

http://www.chessworldcup2013.com/live
                    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 11th August, 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                      Sambuev - Morozevich

After Bator's 44 Be5 most people would say (against an average master) that Bator is winning. However, Morozevich is no average master!
                      If I were a genius, I would have said Mate in six. OK so I'm not a genius.
                      Well done Bator!

Comment

I wonder if this is the upset of the round? I believe this is the first time Canada has even won a game at the World Cup!

Comment

2013 is first time Canada has had two participants at the World Cup. Both our guys are underdogs that in my opinion have by far our best shot ever at getting into round 2.

Bator Sambuev just made my day with a very nice game!

Comment

Except for Bluvshtein and Hansen in 2011. Mark came close to forcing a playoff with White but Eric was in tough against Gashimov. This time Bator just needs to hold with Black and Eric needs to cash in with White for a tiebreak shot. Neither task will be easy!

Comment

World Cup

Sunday, August 11, 2013

First Day Summary

The day began with the official website not ready for prime time. Most viewers did a workaround that involved other sites that were ready and then complained on those sites. The Russians, Germans and, especially, the Norwegians were blamed for the technical glitches.

(ChessVibes) At the technical meeting on Saturday, chief arbiter Ignatius Leong emphasized that at the World Cup the zero-tolerance rule is in effect: whoever arrives late at the board, loses. Therefore his announcement, at 15:00 on Sunday, that the start of the first round was postponed to 15:15, was received by with disbelief and laughter by the players. Well, by the ones who were at their board! The reason for the delay was the long queue at the entrance of the playing hall, caused by security.
                              The players are not allowed to bring any electronics, and before entering they are checked with a metal detector. What's strange, however, is that spectators are not checked at all, and it's not difficult for them to have contact with the players during the round! What the arbiter did was ask the players to get down from their rooms earlier (the majority is staying in the same hotel that hosts the tournament), to avoid similar problems for game 2. On Monday, arriving late will lead to a forfeit. Let's see what happens tomorrow...!

Lawrence Trent and Susan Polgar went down the list of interesting matchups:

- One of the participants, Ahmed Adly from Egypt, was unable to come and his opponent, Alexander Moiseenko, has been given a pass into the next round

- Gillan Bwalya from Zambia is to face Vladimir Kramnik. He is twenty-five years old. He prepared by studying all the games he could find by Vladimir, which is great for his chess education. He is dressed in Michael Jackson smooth criminal video garb. The opening is a Dutch Defence - 1. Nf3 f5

- Hikaru Nakamura is playing Deysi Cori, one of the world’s super female talents. She is 20 years old and from Peru. Her brother, Jorge, is black against Teimour Radjabov. She is one of the four women competing here today. The opening is a BogoIndian with Bb4+.

- Anna Ushenina, the reigning Women’s WC Champion from the Ukraine is facing Peter Svidler, the reigning World Cup Champion. Peter is a huge favorite. The opening is a Bb5 Sicilian. Maybe Svidler is playing this because he thinks that Anna knows all the mainline variations. He moves the B back to d3.

- Micky Adams is 41. He’s black against Wan Yunguo. With his late play in Dortmund, he has a performance rating of 2900. On the live rating list, he is World Number 12 at 2760. Susan remembers him at the World Junior Championships of 1988 along with Ivanchuk, Gelfand and many others. Adams was 16 then and now still up there and in form. The opening is a Scotch mainline.

- Vassily Ivanchuk is one of the most experienced players present – after Alexander Beliavsky. His adversary - Jan-Krzysztof Duda, 15 years old, from Poland. (There is no substance to the rumour that other players are taking up a collection to buy him more vowels for his second name). Vassily has failed to go past the third round in four World Cups, so Lawrence is picking this as an upset. A NimzoIndian.

The ChessBomb wisecrackers talk about Duda’s name:

- Duda is indeed 15 years old, grandmaster at 14. I hope he becomes a super-GM since he has such a cool name
                              - in Spanish it means doubt
                              - in Croatian “duda” is soother
                              - in the U.S. “duda” is what the Camptown ladies sing!
                              ++++++++++++

- Wesley So is against Alexander Ipatov. These are two young stars, who are setting the chess world on fire. In the spring Wesley surpassed 2700. He is from the Philippines. He is a nice and kind young man. He is currently a student at Webster University in the States combining his studies with high-level chess. What is more impressive is that English is not his native language.

- Alexander Ipatov represents Turkey but he was born and lives in the Ukraine. He is a polyglot and speaks many languages well – Russian, Ukrainian, Turkish, English, Spanish and a sixth that Susan cannot recall. He is twenty years old. The one who speaks the most languages in this tournament, eight languages, is Sergei Movsesian from Armenia. [His languages are English, German, Polish, Armenian, Georgian, Czech, Russian and Slovakian. He now resides in Prague. (Robert Huebner, who is not here, speaks more than a dozen languages!)] Their game is a Petroff.
                              +++++++++

In the press conferences after the games Lawrence Trent talks Spanish with Deysi Cori about her game with Nakamura. Susan speaks Russian with Mikhail Markov and interprets for the viewers.

Peter Svidler talks about his game with Anna Ushenina. She talks hesitatingly before Svidler comes in. Peter says that he hadn’t played in a while and was in a state of complete panic when he saw he was playing the Women’s World Champion! He thought she might be unfamiliar with the Sicilian structure he chose. If Anna said one word after Peter came, I didn’t hear it!

A tweet is put up on the screen which says that Suarez-J. Polgar has the same ending as Shirov-Hou Yifan. The former is K,R + g,h pawns vs K,R. The latter K,R and f pawn vs K,R. Doesn’t seem the same to me.
                              +++++++++++++

At the end of play, these were the most interesting results:

Aronian – Markov 1-0
                              Akash – Caruana 0-1
                              Kramnik – Bwalya 1-0
                              Bjelobrk – Grischuk 0-1
                              Karjakin – Ali Sebbar 1-0
                              Cori – Nakamura 0-1
                              Gelfand – Rahman 1-0
                              Yiping-Lou – Kamsky .5-.5
                              Mamedyarov – Shoker 1-0
                              El Gindy – Dominguez 0-1
                              Ponomariov – T. Hansen 1-0
                              Liu – Wang Hao 0.5-0.5
                              Svidler – Ushenina 1-0
                              Wan – Adams 0.5-0.5
                              Leko – Johannessen 1-0
                              Sambuev – Morozevich 1-0
                              Vitiugov – Holt 1-0
                              Salem – Giri 0-1
                              Ivanchuk – Duda 0.5-0.5
                              Cori – Radjabov 0.5-0.5

The whole list is at

http://www.chessworldcup2013.com/live
                              +++++++++++

Agdestein lost to Bacrot even though thousands of us were pulling for the Norwegian player. If he gets knocked out, he may join the commentators and he is deadly dull.

Both Hansen and Sambuev did us proud. There are still tomorrow’s games remember.

(ChessVibes) On the first day there were few upsets. These are all the games where the lower rated player won: Bator Sambuev beat Alexander Morozevich, Isan Reynaldo Ortiz Suarez beat Judit Polgar, Nguyen Ngoc Truong Son beat Vladimir Akopian, Ray Robson beat Andrei Volokitin, Ivan Popov beat Markus Ragger, Daniil Dubov beat Sergey Fedorchuk and Bassem Amin beat Eltaj Safarli. Note that in the last couple of games the rating difference wasn't big.

(Chess-News.ru) Most of the favourites won their games in Round 1 of the World Cup and most of them did it quite easily. Levon Aronian's win over Mikhail Markov can't be mentioned as such though. Armenian GM outplayed his opponent without a title in an approximately equal endgame.

"He just plays stronger," Markov noted while giving an express commentary after the game. "I am honored to first of all take part in such competition and to play against Aronian. I used his games as tutorials several years ago."
                              Let us remind you Mikhail Markov was suspected in cheating by GM Fillipov. This is what Markov answered on Susan Polgar's question how he managed to qualify for the World Cup:

"I qualified by the help of the zonal tournament which was held in my homeland, the city of Osh. Playing at home was much of help. The tournament wasn't that strong: there were only two GMs and several IMs. I won due to making less mistakes than my opponents and I was also lucky."

In addition Markov said:
                              "I will try to do my best in the next round. I raised serious problems in the first game and tomorrow I will try to put more pressure."

(Comment from a ChessVibes poster)
                              Aronian's win over Markov looked like a bit of a swindle to me. Did anyone have this impression? I do not wish to take away from A's (as usual) creative play, but it seemed that there was no reason for a player like Markov to lose the R&BN vs RR ending.

Comment

Here are 200+ pics of the opening round>>>>>>
                                >>>>https://plus.google.com/photos/11630...77788432179746

Comment

Working...
                                X