World Cup Matches, Tromsø

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup Matches, Tromsø

With regards to the last "viewers comment" - as much as I do not like the hazard and inaccuracy of rapid/blitz games - these players are playing amazing at these time controls - it is incredible how much they can calculate and "see" in few seconds, and for so many moves. It is for sure more energy draining chess then 20 years ago when the game was adjourned and resumed the next day. These players certainly deserve the money.

Kramnik now plays effectively for Karjakin, as if he wins two more matches, Serghey will qualify despite displaying colorless chess. That seems a bit unfair to the rest of the field. Hope Korobov will pull the upset of his career and level the field for the semifinals.

Comment

I am sure that last comment about punishing GMs was tongue-in-cheek.

The play with short time limits today was very exciting, and, as you say, amazing under the circumstances.

Dana MacKenzie said in his blog today:

I have to say that the commentators, Susan Polgar and Lawrence Trent, did a great job of conveying the excitement of the playoffs. They were yelling into the microphone as if it were a soccer match. At times Trent openly switched into fan mode, rooting for Tomashevsky: “Play Rc7, Evgeny! Play it!” Of course, they were in a separate room so that the sound of their commentary couldn’t (I hope) be heard by the players.

Surprisingly, there is a great deal of discussion online as to whether Tomashevsky saw the mate in one and as, a gentleman or with sympathy, forced the draw or whether he didn’t see it at all. To me, it doesn’t matter a bit.

I expect the winners of the next round to be Svidler, Kamsky, Kramnik and Lagrave. I hate to jettison Caruana though.

Caruana and Vachier-Lagrave should play in a special area for endangered species. They are the only remaining non-Russian speakers in event! (Gary Kasparov tweet)
      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 23rd August, 2013, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Laurentiu, I wasn’t quite sure what you meant about “Kramnik effectively playing for Karjakin” until I saw this in chess-news.ru this morning:

Friday, 23.08.2013

We were informed that Sergey Karjakin still maintains the chance to play in the Candidates. This might happen if Vladimir Kramnik reaches the final of the World Cup. In that case, according to the Candidates' tournament regulations, the player with the average rating for August 1st, 2012 - July 1st, 2013 will qualify for it. Sergey Karjakin is next after Kramnik. Thus, he maintains chance to fight for the title despite being eliminated from the World Cup.
        +++++++

I assume they mean the highest average rating.

Comment

The Washington Times has a nice piece on the tournament with Bator Sambuev getting prominent mention.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ockout-proves/

Comment

Working...
          X