2009 Quebec Open - details have been announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Quebec Open - details have been announced

The event will be held in Montreal from July 18 - 25 and is organised by the Quebec Chess Federation.

Kasparov is playing....here is the link :)

http://fqechecs.qc.ca/index.php?typ=...05&categorie=1

Re: 2009 Quebec Open - details have been announced

Hi Larry:

I note the Can. Open is July 11 - 19 ( Sun. ). The Quebec Open starts July 18 ( Sat. ). With 1 rd. on Sat. and 2 on Sunday in the QO, I guess foreign GM's in the CO will not be able to make it to the Quebec Open ( they would need 3 byes and to be there for 6:00 PM Monday for Rd. 4 ). It seems too bad this cannot be coordinated somehow for foreign GM's.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 15th January, 2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      Hi Larry:

I note the Can. Open is July 11 - 19 ( Sun. ). The Quebec Open starts July 18 ( Sat. ). With 1 rd. on Sat. and 2 on Sunday in the QO, I guess foreign GM's in the CO will not be able to make it to the Quebec Open ( they would need 3 byes and to be there for 6:00 PM Monday for Rd. 4 ). It seems to bad this cannot be coordinated somehow for foreign GM's.

Bob
      Hi Bob,

I am sure the organizers of both events took this into consideration but for whatever reasons...they decided to overlap.

BTW, I am not involved in the organization of either event I was just reporting :)

Last year it was only 1 organizer and one event so there was no conflict :)

Larry

Comment

Is there a link that's in English?

Comment

Re : 2009 Quebec Open - details have been announced

The Quebec Open is always that week... I don't know if it's the same for the COC

Comment

I think at one time the Canadian Open was always the First weekend after Canada Day. But I do not know why they changed that unless it was when they started to include the Junior tournament the week before the Cdn Open and that may have caused some problems.

For what ever reason the CFC should make their Canadian Open so it never conflicts with the Quebec Open because the Quebec Open always go with the Just for Laughs Festival and I believe that date is set in stone.

So it is the CFC's Cdn Open Organizers fault not the Quebec Open Organizers fault. That we cannot play in both tournaments without having to take BYES.

Comment

Yeah. Considering Canada lacks norm tournaments and strong tournaments all together, It really is a pity that the two strongest opens in Canada conflict with eachother. I mean it really is avoidable unless theres some tournament or conflict that I do not know of. It's not like we have a lot of tournaments and are forced to make them collide. A lot of norm-seekers who can't afford to go out of Canada will lose another opportunity.

Comment

The starting dates of the Quebec Open have fluctuated over the years. Starting dates (1994-2008) have been (July) 23,26,27,26,25,24,22,21,13,12,17,17,8,20,19. The dates seem to be determined by the dates of the "Just for Laughs" festival (a sponsor for a few years), or the so-called "construction holiday" (usually the last 2 weeks of July).

Dates of the Canadian Open have also fluctuated over the last 12 years or so. Starting dates (1998-2008) have been (July) 11,2,8,8,13,12,10,9,15,7,19.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                  Yeah. Considering Canada lacks norm tournaments and strong tournaments all together, It really is a pity that the two strongest opens in Canada conflict with eachother. I mean it really is avoidable unless theres some tournament or conflict that I do not know of. It's not like we have a lot of tournaments and are forced to make them collide. A lot of norm-seekers who can't afford to go out of Canada will lose another opportunity.
                  Maybe it has to do with the prize money. When the events overlap the same players can't win it all.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Hugh:

Given the shifting dates, I still agree with Eric that it is too bad the chess bureaucracy cannot sort this out so both local and foreign players could play in both major tournaments.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      Hi Hugh:

Given the shifting dates, I still agree with Eric that it is too bad the chess bureaucracy cannot sort this out so both local and foreign players could play in both major tournaments.

Bob
                      I agree. It would be good if the CFC could at least reserve dates for their national events two years in advance. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I don't think its really difficult. You have to factor the World Open into that equasion, as well as the Quebec Open, Canadian Open, CYCC, Canadian Junior. We always know when the World Open will be held, but the Canadian Open and Quebec Open have overlapped before. I would think it would be in the best interest of both of those events to coordinate.

Regarding the Canadian Junior, I feel it should always be held over the Christmas break to avoid any conflicts with CYCC. This has traditionally been when the Junior was run.

My two cents.

Comment

Working...
                      X