RIP Paul Rispler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Paul Rispler

I noted the passing of Paul Rispler of Ottawa, at the age of 55. He was an active player in the Ottawa area from the 1970's onward. A life member of the CFC, he had a rating of 1914 - last played in 2003.

RIP.

Re: RIP Paul Rispler

Was this the former roommate (and CMA chess teacher) of Dave Ross/Tom O'Donnell and for a short time me in the West Island of Montreal?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
      Was this the former roommate (and CMA chess teacher) of Dave Ross/Tom O'Donnell and for a short time me in the West Island of Montreal?
      Paul taught for us in 2006. I remember him as being a nice easy going fellow. Sad news. Larry

Comment

I remember Paul from my Ottawa days. He was a good dude. Sorry to hear the news, he was much too young.

RIP.

Comment

Paul, Tom O'Donnell and Dave Ross let me stay with them for about 3 months before I made my first trip to Hungary in 1993. Paul did not know me before so this was a kind gesture.

He loved Miles Davis and Jazz music and was into fitness and body building. He never studied chess while I was there, but when I was in the living room looking at chess on a board he would find a way to join in and be super curious at the position. One of his favorite little sayings was 'It's better to look good than to feel good!' . Well you had to be there.

He left Montreal for Vancouver to work as a personal trainer and after that fell out of sight. Once in a while he would call and ask if we kept the Miles Davis poster he left behind.

Comment

I first met Paul when I was starting to play duplicate bridge about 10-15 years ago. I played on an IMP league team with Deen Hergott, Paul.

Over the last year he had been dropping by the Strategy Games shop once in a while to browse the used books.

He was older then I thought he was.
            RIP

Comment

Paul came in to the store at least once a month. We generally got into conversations about jazz, which we always have playing here. He was good at recognizing which musicians we were listening to, and sometimes we would challenge each other to see who could pick out the players. He was a nice guy.

Comment

Working...
              X