6) Brazil @ 753
    7) Chile @ 747
    8) Bolivia @ 746
    9) USA @ 720

Source: worldometers.info
    11 states over 800
    US 1000+ deaths three days in a row.

Comment

• An innovative alternative method to consider "excess deaths" ... staggering stuff:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ef_2523_216402

Comment

• Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
        An innovative alternative method to consider "excess deaths" ... staggering stuff:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ef_2523_216402
        Im not sure what they are getting at in the article but about April that is a disturbing statistic.

Comment

• US has gone above 10 million cases. Texas passes 1 million, California close behind. Back in June I thought no state would pass New York state's numbers. Now they are almost double.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

Im not sure what they are getting at in the article but about April that is a disturbing statistic.
            So I believe that article is on the side that we need to factor in the concept of Excess Deaths. In studying the Spanish Flu from a century ago, it seems they went through similar thinking. At first, they were counting the dead apparently from just the flu. But then in the following years, understanding grew that losses in health and life were actually much greater. I personally already know of two examples of people who lost their recent battles with cancer, after having had cancer treatment delayed due to the health system being overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients, whose effect just mushrooms with the need for stricter protocols, etc. The reason I posted this article here is to point out what I feel is one of the more insidious aspects of COVID-19, which is that precisely because at first glance it doesn't seem THAT fatal (97% world survival rate on CLOSED cases), it's not being taken as seriously as it should. Some/many? people still don't take precautions that would not be a huge effort to take. Those "little openings in the screen door" are "letting the bugs in", so to speak. I wonder if people would be more careful if there was a way to "market" Excess Deaths?!

However, having said that, it seems that many/most people don't agree with this Excess Deaths concern?!

Comment

• Well Aris, now that you explained it so well I definitely agree. However I'm not sure we will ever have hard stats on that. It would be good to see a clear explanation of the marked rise in deaths in Canada in April 2020. I think you have raised a very important point.

Comment

• aaiiiieeeeeee
                Last edited by Peter McKillop; Saturday, 7th November, 2020, 02:58 PM.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Excess Death!
                  What a phrase! Thought it be a thrash metal band ...

Comment

• 50 million + worldwide

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      Well Aris, now that you explained it so well I definitely agree. However I'm not sure we will ever have hard stats on that. It would be good to see a clear explanation of the marked rise in deaths in Canada in April 2020. I think you have raised a very important point.
                      Yeah, it seems the Excess Deaths concept is both very difficult to quantify, and very difficult to convince people of. Here's another example: let's say you or I actually had COVID back in March, but with little or no symptoms, so we never bothered getting tested, and a few days later, we figured we probably didn't even have it. However, let's say that having COVID caused some scarring in our lung tissue. Nothing extreme now, but then maybe a decade from now, our lung health issues are greater than they would have been, and now you and I are taxing our health system more than if we had never had it. Multiply that by millions of people, and Excess Deaths will keep happening for a long time, until the whole COVID-19 cohort have all left this Earth. But then again, whether this theorizing is accurate or not, I don't know that we can do anything about it, except I guess maybe it can help inspire people to be more prudent now? This really is a "frog in warming water" mess?!

EDITED TO ADD: If you throw a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will jump right back out. But if you put a frog in a pot of regular water but then slowly heat it to boiling, the frog will stay and die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        Trump is gong to win. After he wins, I'll tell you why I knew he would win.
                        We are waiting

Comment

• Tennessee religious movement getting busy on the peaceful scenic streets of Aylmer Ontario ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...ures-1.5794265

..."I'd rather die of COVID-19 than of loneliness"

This past weekend Ontario experienced a record high number of new COVID-19 cases ... 2,460.

Comment

Yeah, it seems the Excess Deaths concept is both very difficult to quantify, and very difficult to convince people of.
                            Plus it misses/combines ways COVID-19 is having unintended impacts on other causes of death. For example, https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...traffic-deaths

Comment

• France has gone ahead of Russia. Unbelievable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garland Best View Post

Plus it misses/combines ways COVID-19 is having unintended impacts on other causes of death. For example, https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...traffic-deaths
                                Thanks Garland.

Comment

Working...
                                X