Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I thought this forum was meant for chess discussion? Where's the moderator and/or Where's the "non-chess" option like on the CFC discussion board?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
      .... the problem of evil demonstrates that there is no loving and merciful Jehovah type of God. If God was loving, merciful, all-knowing and fully powerful then by definition evil could not exist. But evil does exist, therefore we have no such God....
      I think there is an easy way to be rid of the so-called "problem" of evil. It is to really believe in the infinite and eternal. Because if there is an infinite and eternal existence for both God and all his (or her) creations that is free from evil, then the presence of evil in our physical universe is absolutely trivial. Of course it does not seem trivial while we are suffering the consequences of it in this temporal universe. But once we return to what we have been gifted by our loving God, the eternal and infinite free from evil, the suffering we endured is like the memory of some tiny prick of a thorn.

I am also very much a proponent of the idealist thinker GWF Hegel who contends that God is an evolving organism....
      I have never read Hegel, so I wonder if he ever wrote about the infinite? If God is an evolving organism, which does correspond to God being infinite since anything infinite is by definition never-ending, then we could be his components, constantly growing in number and adding to his knowledge and experience, with no end to it all.

That hardest part of such a vision is to ask, where / how did it all begin? I know, Brad, you have alluded to this many times. It is one thing to imagine something going on forever and forever into the future.... and it is quite another thing, almost an inducement of insanity, to imagine something going on forever and forever into the past! Just as one example, the Big Bang explanation of the physical universe leaves totally open to imagination the question, what existed before the Big Bang? If we answer that our universe was some sort of "instantiation" of just one of infinite universes, it still leaves the question open.... is there such a thing as the ultimate beginning of everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        And I thought this forum was meant for chess discussion? Where's the moderator and/or Where's the "non-chess" option like on the CFC discussion board?
        He is watching the Sambuev game.

Comment

Hi Hugh & Bob G:

Original thread poster here..........I hope Henry's minions do not step in to shut us down!!

I think what we are seeing in this thread, is that when faced with imminent death, every life topic becomes important!

Also, for my purposes, as creator of the thread, I am quite fine with divergences from the main theme, as long as it doesn't get lost forever. I will be posting on climate change regularly here now, and will keep the main thread alive.

But I do admit that the interesting side avenues that have arisen, are due, in some part, to my own original posts. I linked Climate Change to what Religions offer people on this climate change suicide path we are choosing, the link between climate change, God and the problem of Evil, the role of covert Earthly ET Societies in Earth's climate change, and whether your view of Consciousness, and yourself, shapes the way you respond as an individual to the worst crisis in human history. These are themes that I think can be discussed as part of the main topic.

I think that the market will decide on this........if we stray too far from climate change, then those that want only to discuss that will just go away.

But I think the "views" on this thread may give us part of the answer on this. Much of the commenting on this thread so far has dealt with what I will term, "the attached issues", those I think are legitimately within a broad loose topic of "climate change". As of the morning of the 4th day after my Wed., Dec. 29 original post (which was yesterday, Jan. 2), the views were 274 (Not bad for a new post).

Today, Jan. 3, only one day later, the views have jumped by 75% to 493!

My read on it is that people are concerned about climate change, and want to keep abreast of what is happening, even chess players! But they are fine to read about those "attachment issues" that have also become now part of this thread.

Just my 2 cents worth.....in a sense......yes some tangential hijacking, but within my bounds of acceptability. But I recognize that others want only to read about the "wheat", and do not want to wade through what they consider the "chaff".

As we members of the "Truth-Seekers Brigade" always maintain.......each of us is unique.....we are all entitled to our own opinions, so long as we've done due diligence to assemble the evidence that supports a particular truth we hold.

Bob A (T-SB)
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 3rd January, 2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            ......if we stray too far from climate change, then those that want only to discuss that will just go away.
            But Bob, isn't that part of the problem right there?

What I hoped would be a discussion on solutions to climate change has become a debate on religion and philosophy.
            This has been a theme for decades, distract from the difficult choices facing us, avoid focus on the real problem.

Focus on the problem and solutions is required. If so, great, otherwise I see no point in participating.

Comment

Hi Bob G:

I certainly intend to regularly post here now on the main climate change issue (As I do on Fb TRN)!. So I hope that will let this thread keep you interested.

I also do intend, as well though, to discuss with others participating who are interested, what I call the "attached issues". Obviously we all are now very adept on CT of skimming/skipping the posts we know are going to be unhelpful, from the very moment we start reading!

~ Bob A (T-SB)

Comment

Chesstalk is about chess players talking. If you feel the digressions are too wide, then don't read them. Who says we need to stay on chess topics? Is it one of the Ten Commandments? Hugh Brodie, I liked you when I knew you and you are a gentleman, but why do you care if we digress? What is the problem, what is the big deal? Just do not read what you are not interested in and allow the rest of us to enjoy our discussions on any topic that we are interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
                  Of course it does not seem trivial while we are suffering the consequences of it in this temporal universe...

I have never read Hegel, so I wonder if he ever wrote about the infinite? If God is an evolving organism, which does correspond to God being infinite since anything infinite is by definition never-ending, then we could be his components, constantly growing in number and adding to his knowledge and experience, with no end to it all...
                  First, hence the problem of evil is demonstrated to be correct. Second, yes, you have it.

Comment

Chesstalk is about chess players talking. If you feel the digressions are too wide, then don't read them. Who says we need to stay on chess topics? Is it one of the Ten Commandments? Hugh Brodie, I liked you when I knew you and you are a gentleman, but why do you care if we digress? What is the problem, what is the big deal? Just do not read what you are not interested in and allow the rest of us to enjoy our discussions on any topic that we are interested in.
                    I moderate a couple of other forums and Facebook groups. Anything out of the subject of the group is removed and the poster reprimanded (or removed if it's spam).

A Facebook group for chess book collectors is continually polluted by off-topic posts (people showing their games or chess sets). There are several moderators who do an excellent job of keeping the group "clean".

Chesstalk is advertised at the top of the page as "Canada's chess discussion board". So let's discuss chess - Covid and global warming can be discussed on appropriate sites. The CFC forum has a non-chess subforum.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Guys, I thought this thread was about climate change? .....
                      Bob, I hope you're not trying to influence the flow of this thread because you're concerned about everyone discovering that you're a honcho in the Covert Earthly ET Societies.

Pete (T-S...JNH)*

* Truth-Seeker...Just Not Here

p.s. don't worry, your secret is safe with me
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        Chesstalk is advertised at the top of the page as "Canada's chess discussion board". So let's discuss chess - Covid and global warming can be discussed on appropriate sites. The CFC forum has a non-chess subforum.
                        The world is falling apart. If the pandemic does not kill us then climate change will. Most of us are locked down. We get comfort talking about these issues with old friends and acquaintances from the chess community. We do not expect to find these people on other forums. Your position is incomprehensible to me.

Comment

What chessplayers have in common with philosophers, theologians, political dreamers is that we are all not doing the societal necessary work like farmers, miners, or factory workers. We have time to sit around, drink and smoke, and shoot the shit.

How does climate change affect chess players? Don't play outside and maybe lost of sites by the sea, on a floodplain, hurricane path, or in a burning forest.

But what chessplayers really want to know, how does these philosophy questions affect one's chess games? "Chess is Life"?

Would a loving creator help one escape a disastrous position? Well, no, God is on both players sides. But we can turn to the angel on our shoulder?

Are chess pieces matter? Do they have free will? If we radiate love to our pieces will they find the best squares? If, before the game, we ritually hold each piece next to our heart, will we be better connected?

I can visualize in my mind the checkmate I want. But, somehow, my opponent could see a defence that I didn't. My checkmate was not real, only an illusion, perhaps of my ego.

We can't use our rational mind to calculate all possible variations. At some point, we have to surrender to feelings, our chess intuition, to believe in the unknown. Can playing in a (sub)consciousness state, sleeping at the board, allow access to the universal mind and find the Truth of the position? Then make our "free will" move.

Comment

Good post Erik!

Comment

Hi Erik:

You are.......definitely.......despite working many hours a week.............. a chess player with..........too much time on his hands!

Wicked post..........I am chastened!

Brad - I agree that we likely wouldn't find Erik on the other relevant websites/discussion boards on Climate Change. He has no time for that......he's too busy...........cutting up Chess Players here on CT!

~ Bob A (T-SB)
                              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 3rd January, 2022, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                                Hi Erik:

You are.......definitely.......despite working many hours a week.............. a chess player with..........too much time on his hands!

Wicked post..........I am chastened!

Brad - I agree that we likely wouldn't find Erik on the other relevant websites/discussion boards on Climate Change. He has no time for that......he's too busy...........cutting up Chess Players here on CT!

~ Bob A (T-SB)
                                Bob, I'm not cutting up chessplayers, except for maybe myself. I think chess is better than philosophy because there is an opponent who can show the errors in my logic. Keeps my ego in check.

Bob, I'm retired from my long hours of work standing around doing mostly nothing while a film/tv drama is being made (often crap that you'll turn the channel from). I do have some chess and local history research projects but am spending like 3 hours a day on facebook, 3 hours games, and 3 hours watching tv.

Comment

Working...
                                X