Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change Thread

(Now in the new “Non-Chess” Forum)

Week # 2 (22/8/9 – 22/8/15 – 7 days)

Weekly Stats:
    ........................................................2022 Average............................................................... 2022 Average
    ..........................................................Views/Day...................................................................Responses/Day
    ...................................................Non-chess....Open .......................................................Non-chess......Open
    Last Week's...Prior Week's.....Forum .......Forum....Last Week's...... Prior Week's... Forum .......Forum
    Views/Day....Views/Day.............Wk. 2........31 Wks...Responses/Day...Resp./Day........Wk 2..... ...31 Wks.

...75.....................71..........................73..............45...................8............................6....................7.............3

Stats Analysis of the Week Past

Background

On Aug. 2, 2022, ChessTalk initiated a new forum called “The Non-Chess Forum”. Our “Climate Change” thread, and one on COVID-19, were then moved out of the “Open Forum”, which is the homepage by default, and into this new forum. Henry has apparently undertaken to change the homepage to indicate that this now third forum exists (Though it has not yet been carried out).

The Result

Many chessplayers looking for chess content, would, on the old “open” homepage, sometime see “non-chess” posts, decide they were a bit interested, and take a look. This is the way our viewers number grew.

I had some concern that this change might diminish the growth of our chessplayer viewers.

But, encouragingly, not only has activity continued apace in the new dedicated forum, it has gone UP!! It seems those chessplayers concerned about climate change have made the effort, to do the added number of clicks, to get to us. It shows that chessplayers do wish to talk to each other, within their own family, on non-chess life issues. We may even, over time, see the number of threads in this forum increase to include other life issues – is anyone going to be daring enough to start one on “Spirituality/Religions”, or, “Current Global Politics”??

Analysis of Last Weeks Stats

Activity last week was a bit ahead of our first week on the “Non-chess Forum”.

Activity is clearly dependent on new responses being posted, and last week there were 8 responses per day, compared to 6 per day the prior week!

Accordingly the views last week, 75 per day, were a bit ahead of the prior week stats (71)

We have started a new set of stats from the day we were placed in this new forum, and these now will become our 2022 yearly stats.
    The yearly average that had previously existed in the “Open” forum (45 per day) is lower than the new yearly average for the new forum since activity seems to have actually gone up since we got moved!

So, the climate change issue among ChessTalker's is continuing to grab attention, even after being moved to the new “Non-Chess” Forum.

Climate Change Responses

There are lots of climate change articles out there.

This thread encourages CT'ers to re-post responses here when they see climate change posts of interest elsewhere.

I personally, as the thread originator, am shooting to post a new response at least every 2nd day, but am sometimes even falling short on this, depending on the amount of time I have to be on-line, which is limited.

The Pressing Climate Change Issue

The core issue:

Building a sense of URGENCY on this issue in society. We must realize that we cannot kick it down the road any longer!

The public is aware of the climate change issue.......

BUT.....

climate activists must find strategies to “AWAKEN” the public to the “urgency”.

The Time Line

Nature's Tipping point is estimated to be, on current trajectory, only 9 years away (Around Jan. 1, 2031). Capping the temperature rise at only 1.5 degrees Celsius is now impossible (UN Climate Change Panel's most recent report). UNCCP noted that current government deadlines were totally insufficient to solve the problem. CO 2 must be capped by 2025! And for the first time, CO 2 “removal” has now become a necessary part of the solution, along with eliminating spewing of greenhouse gases into our atmosphere.

Our window of opportunity is fast closing.

The Large Picture Solutions

Can we come up with at least one or two viable suggestions of impressive, radical things that might wake up the public, that we could then put out there to other concerned client activists?

CT'ers' Local Actions on Climate Change

You can do something! When you like one of this thread's links on an aspect of climate change, spread the news by posting it to your social media accounts and other Websites/Discussion Boards you participate in!

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ClimateChange2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.7 KB ID:	221225
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 16th August, 2022, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Like I said before, I have already spent way too much time researching climate change about a decade ago.
      One youtube poster I found useful in debunking climate change deniers a decade ago was potholer54.

He meticulously picks apart the climate denier arguments in an entertaining way.
      So I invite anyone wants to fact check environmental claims to search his library of youtube videos.

Here is an example dealing with electric cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwMP...nel=potholer54

Comment

• I have rewatched a few of potholer54 videos.
        Here is one of the best,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBF6...=TheYoungTurks

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-yALPEpV4w

Comment

• Hi Dilip:

Thanks for the video link - on Nuclear Power vs Renewables (Response # 664)

Thought-provoking..........I have always had big concerns about nuclear.

1. Uranium is finite.
            2. We are not yet good at recycling/reusing/defusing nuclear power waste product. Burying it is a time bomb.

I'll keep researching.

Bob A
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 17th August, 2022, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Hi Bob G:

I agree that YouTuber, potholer54, is excellent on climate change.......his video on historical CO2 that you gave (Response # 663) is most thorough.

Bob A

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
                Thank you for sharing this Dilip.

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong
                I have always had big concerns about nuclear.

1. Uranium is finite.
                2. We are not yet good at recycling/reusing/defusing nuclear power waste product. Burying it is a time bomb.
                "Breeder Reactors" is the potential to solve both problems you mention of "nonrenewable" & "recycling"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superph%C3%A9nix
                Despite many technical issues related to being a first-of-a-kind project (as of 2022 Superphénix is still the biggest fast breeder reactor ever built) most of its downtime was caused by administrative procedure: the plant was technically capable of resuming operations but was forbidden to do so.[3] Technical problems were solved over time and, by 1996, the plant had reached an availability of 95%.[3]
                Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 17th August, 2022, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• accidental post repeat above. Post Deleted
                  Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Wednesday, 17th August, 2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• thanks Sid.......I need to catch up on the nuclear information.

Bob A

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      Hi Bob G:

I agree that YouTuber, potholer54, is excellent on climate change.......his video on historical CO2 that you gave (Response # 663) is most thorough.

Bob A
                      Here is one of my all time favourites from potholer54.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIE...nnel=TEDxTalks

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        thanks Sid.......I need to catch up on the nuclear information.

Bob A
                        We should consider nuclear energy as part of our global strategy going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ozw...annel=VICENews

But of course, don't forget the lessons learned from the past. Take the risks very seriously.
                        Recently we see not everyone does. For example the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The idiots digging trench in the toxic land around Chernobyl. As well, launching attacks from the base.

Thus massive regulatory regime is absolutely necessary.
                        Please, no cowboy capitalism do whatever you want bullshit.

According to the above video, the total volume of toxic waste is less than you think. Well, let's verify that first.
                        But instead of burying it, maybe one a year, gently send it out into deep space. Trillions of miles away.
                        Just a thought.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 19th August, 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders
                          do whatever you want bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

...massive regulatory regime is absolutely necessary.

massive regulatory regime... even more so than Putin's Russia...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                              I thought we were going to have a debate about the wisdom of incorporating nuclear power into the mix of energy sources going forward, instead you post a video from Tony Heller challenging the veracity of climate change science. Okay, so I wondered if potholer54 had anything to say about Tony Heller. Why yes he does.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLjk...nel=potholer54

and

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQ-...nel=potholer54

and

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fn...nel=potholer54

and

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq2W...nel=potholer54

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 20th August, 2022, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

massive regulatory regime... even more so than Putin's Russia...
                                In the context of nuclear energy safety, I most certainly want a massive regulatory regime.
                                If we are to expand nuclear energy, we take upon ourselves a huge risk.
                                There is no margin of error, we have to get it correct, or people die.

There is no room for private enterprise in nuclear energy. I don't want the profit motive anywhere near a nuclear power plant. The primary objective must be safety and the public good. Oversight and redundant safety systems. Massive oversight and massive safety protocols. Regulations coming out your ass.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 20th August, 2022, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X