Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change (ANCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Anthropogenic Negative Climate Change Thread

Week # 30 (22/7/20 – 22/7/26)

Weekly Stats:

.............................................................2022 Average.................................................................... 2022 Average

..Last Week's.........Prior Week's.....Views/Day.......Last Week's..........Prior Week's.........Responses/Day.

..Views/Day...........Views/Day.......(To Date)........Responses/Day......Responses/Day........ (To Date)

......65!!..........................18....................45..........................4!!..............................1 ................................2

Stats Analysis of the Week Past

Activity last week went through the roof compared to the most recent prior period. Activity is clearly dependent on new responses, and last week there were 4 responses per day! Accordingly the views skyrocketed to more than the yearly average so far this year!

It is great to see the climate change issue getting more coverage.

Note: Generally it is expected that the current weekly period stats will remain substantially behind the 2022 Average for a long time. There were many more posts per week in the beginning than now, as everyone had their say. So, as the number of viewers decreases, and then stabilizes, the yearly average comes down only very slowly, given the high initial activity. But this last week is a rare exception, where the participation rate was very high both re new responses and views.

Climate Change Responses

There are lots of climate change articles out there.

This thread encourages CT'ers to re-post responses here when they see climate change posts of interest elsewhere.

I personally, as the thread originator, am shooting to post a new response at least every 2nd day, but am sometimes even falling short on this, depending on the amount of time I have to be on-line, which is limited.

The Pressing Climate Change Issue

The core issue:

Building a sense of URGENCY on this issue in society. We must realize that we cannot kick it down the road any longer!

The public is aware of the climate change issue.......

BUT.....

climate activists must find strategies to “AWAKEN” the public to the “urgency”.

The Time Line

Nature's Tipping point is estimated to be, on current trajectory, only 9 years away (Around Jan. 1, 2031). Capping the temperature rise at only 1.5 degrees Celsius is now impossible (UN Climate Change Panel's most recent report). UNCCP noted that current government deadlines were totally insufficient to solve the problem. CO 2 must be capped by 2025! And for the first time, CO 2 “removal” has now become a necessary part of the solution, along with eliminating spewing of greenhouse gases into our atmosphere.

Our window of opportunity is fast closing.

The Large Picture Solutions

Can we come up with at least one or two viable suggestions of impressive, radical things that might wake up the public, that we could then put out there to other concerned client activists?

CT'ers' Local Actions on Climate Change

You can do something! When you like one of this thread's links on an aspect of climate change, spread the news by posting it to your social media accounts and other Websites/Discussion Boards you participate in!

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

So philosophically, the questions becomes, do "we" as a species deserve to survive?

I wholeheartedly argue NO. We should ALL perish,
      Well, that's a bit harsh, and I must disagree.

Most people and governments around the world want to tackle the climate change / global warming problem. It is a global problem and will require a global systematic solution. Getting individuals to recycle and use paper straws (yuch) is not the solution. But there are pockets of absolutely stupid and evil people holding us back. For example, the lunatic asylum on our southern border.

Corruption, stupidity, and the influence of dark money has our neighbours to the south embroiled in a deadlocked battle for democracy vs authoritarianism. Until that is resolved, it is difficult to see any progress on the climate change front.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Most people and governments around the world want to tackle the climate change / global warming problem.... But there are pockets of absolutely stupid and evil people holding us back. For example, the lunatic asylum on our southern border.
        First, I would argue that anyone wo drives a car or gets on an airplane DOES NOT want to tackle climate change, though they probably say that they do. Likewise with anyone who eats animals or has children or lives in any manner of luxury beyond basic needs. Second, while I agree with your general sentiments with respect to America, it is not as if the rest of the world is not almost as bad. The problem is humans, the Americans are just the more sickening example.

Comment

Well, that's a bit harsh, and I must disagree.

Most people and governments around the world want to tackle the climate change / global warming problem. It is a global problem and will require a global systematic solution. Getting individuals to recycle and use paper straws (yuch) is not the solution. But there are pockets of absolutely stupid and evil people holding us back. For example, the lunatic asylum on our southern border.

Corruption, stupidity, and the influence of dark money has our neighbours to the south embroiled in a deadlocked battle for democracy vs authoritarianism. Until that is resolved, it is difficult to see any progress on the climate change front.

"Most people and governments around the world want to tackle the climate change / global warming problem."

This is the fallacy of your argument. It actually sounds true, and is so easy to believe. But when the bird s**t hits the wind turbine fan.... nobody really wants to tackle these problems.

Ever hear the acronym "NIMBY" (Not In My Back Yard)? It can be applied to this argument.

It would be better to say "Most people and governments around the world want the climate change problem to be tackled."

Notice the subtle difference. The people and governments do NOT want to tackle the problem themselves. They want others to do it.

And if by doing that the home economies must dramatically shrink due to an energy crisis as Europe is entering into now... the people and governments are up in arms.

- In the face of large natural gas cuts from Russia, Germany is about to start up coal power plants that had previously been shut down. Does that sound like Germany wants to tackle climate change? Not when it affects the German economy they don't. NIMBY!

- Bring down gas prices, Biden tells gas station operators. As if they are the problem They are the scapegoat, not the problem. Sure, some gouging could be happening, but not enough to even measure as a blip. It's like Trump's false stolen election claims, he says voting fraud was rampant, and yes, there was SOME voting fraud, but not enough to be a blip on the results. Same thing here. Price gouging is a scapegoat put up by a desperate Joe Biden to try and save himself politically. NIMBY!

I could go on and on with examples. The blunt truth is, 99.9% of humans will put themselves and their jobs, their food on the table, their SUVs, their vacations FIRST before doing anything about climate change.

Until you realize that, you are maybe part of the 0.1% who really want something done and who are fooled by masquarading politicians into believing the majority are into making the truly gut-wrenching changes that are necessary.

Maybe you just don't get how MAJOR the changes needed are. In the coming decade or two, hundreds of millions of people must die from malnutrition / disease / mental illness / addiction who would otherwise be ok if we just continue the course we are currently on.

HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS! POSSIBLY BILLIONS!

Not gonna happen. Oh yes, all these people WILL perish, for sure ... maybe by deliberate carbon monoxide poisoning in their precious SUVs, or jumping off the Eiffel Tower on their bucket list vacations, or heart attacks as they gorge themselves on filet mignon at their favorite steakhouse, or maybe by overdosing on fentanyl or whatever drug / booze combination that will do the job. Or maybe they will hang on to the end, trying to save their multi-million $$$ log cabins from the wildfires or gasping for air in a hospital parking lot or just collapsing in 140 degree heat (Fahrenheit, Brad!) or while boarding up their beachfront condos against Hurricane Vladimir.....

As for their young children or grandchildren, assuming they don't take those with them .... "good luck, my thoughts and prayers will be with you on the other side".

Comment

The blunt truth is, 99.9% of humans will put themselves and their jobs, their food on the table, their SUVs, their vacations FIRST before doing anything about climate change.
            I take a more optimistic viewpoint than you and Brad. I think the vast majority of people will take steps towards tackling climate change under the correct circumstances. As long as I know (or suspect) that the stuff that I put in the recycling box is not being recycled, then don't expect me to recycle. Don't expect me to buy an expensive electric car if everyone else is buying gas guzzling SUV's. If we are all working collectively towards a common goal, much can be accomplished.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I think the efforts of individuals collectively will do too little.
              The heavy lifting must be done by emitting corporations and government regulation and policy.

This will only be accomplished by change of existing world governments.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Power.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	220759

Comment

I take a more optimistic viewpoint than you and Brad. I think the vast majority of people will take steps towards tackling climate change under the correct circumstances. As long as I know (or suspect) that the stuff that I put in the recycling box is not being recycled, then don't expect me to recycle. Don't expect me to buy an expensive electric car if everyone else is buying gas guzzling SUV's. If we are all working collectively towards a common goal, much can be accomplished.

I'm not going to criticize you for being an optimist. I'd like to be one myself.

I just don't think you grasp the MAGNITUDE of what is needed to be done. A MASSIVE drawdown of human activity on the planet. And that means a MASSIVE reduction in population.

The good news is, we're all going to die anyway. The bad news is, it might be a lot sooner than we would like. But you speak of the "vast majority" -- the vast majority will fight to the very end to keep their jobs, their Western way of life. I gave you 2 examples of NIMBY and you just respond "I take a more optimistic viewpoint". But aren't you like the ostrich with its head in the sand?

Maybe you can further explain.... WHY you take a more optimistic viewpoint?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	Solar Power.jpg Views:	0 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	220759
                    The graphic says: "If just 1.2% of the Sahara Desert is covered by solar panels we could harness enough energy to power the entire world".

Ok, how much land area is that exactly?

How much battery storage would be required?

How would the Sahara power be distributed across the world?

Is it even feasible? If it is feasible, what is stopping it from happening? Why isn't the whole world working to get those solar panels and batteries and electric grid infrastructure to the Sahara Desert?

Comment

• I tend to agree with Pargat, though I do admire those more optimistic. We cannot even avoid taking airplanes to play in meaningless chess tournaments in India, so how are we going to expect people to do anything serious about the problems? Mass population reduction is, as I have been saying all along here, the only solution. And it will happen one way or the other, the only question is whether we will do it intelligently and voluntarily, or not. The pandemic was our last possible chance to wake up, we failed horribly. We have sealed our fate.

One of the things I had on my bucket list was a trip to St. Andrews, Scotland, to see the first golf course ever on the planet earth. I will forsake this ambition now in the name of the climate change issue. I will not have this on MY conscience, will YOU?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                        meaningless chess tournaments in India,
                        What is meaningful?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

What is meaningful?
                          Anything that would help to address the problem rather than make it worse.

Comment

Maybe you can further explain.... WHY you take a more optimistic viewpoint?
                            At the end of the day, when faced with extinction,

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YwT...nutesAustralia

our natural instinct to hug one another will win the day.

Comment

At the end of the day, when faced with extinction,

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YwT...nutesAustralia

our natural instinct to hug one another will win the day.

Bob G., I have to commend you!

That is one of the best answers I've ever seen here on ChessTalk!

Wow, i was move, and from that video, I saw another one about twin sisters who were adopted from China into 2 different American households. At 10 years old, they were reunited on Good Morning America.

Well, maybe now I will have to be an optimist too! :)

Maybe Nancy Pelosi will go to Taiwan, the mainland Chinese will invade to kidnap her, she will greet them with Walmart gift cards and EVERYONE WILL HUG! And the whole Taiwan crisis will be over!

Ok.... that is definitely going too far! LOL

But seriously, great answer Bob G.!

Comment

Working...
                              X