Strongest Chess Playing Siblings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strongest Chess Playing Siblings?

If the Zhigalko brothers are currently #1, and the Muzychuk sisters #2, the brother and sister team of Jorge Cori (2609) and Deysi Cori (2425 FIDE) may well be #3. Unfortunately, Jorge is today in the news for the wrong reason ):

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-per...etition-101747

Comment

Endre and Lajos Steiner (brothers from Hungary; Endre was sometimes cited as Andre)
      Robert and Richard Chess (I'm not making this up; both were USCF masters and I think they were identical twins)

Comment

If we are allowed to go back in history, then Robert (b. 1928) Byrne and his brother Donald (b. 1930). Then there are Alexander Alekhine and his older brother Alexei, Emanuel Lasker and his older brother Berthold. Berthold was among the world's top ten players in the early 1890s.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
          If we are allowed to go back in history, then Robert (b. 1928) Byrne and his brother Donald (b. 1930). Then there are Alexander Alekhine and his older brother Alexei, Emanuel Lasker and his older brother Berthold. Berthold was among the world's top ten players in the early 1890s.
          If we are going back in time then I think the three Polgar sisters may well top the list over all, and by quite a margin. Two with male GM titles (one top ten in the world at one point) and one with male IM and WGM titles. Add all three up and I bet they top the list for both genders, unless someone can think of a family with four strong siblings. Maybe over 7000 points total.

Comment

More siblings - the Jhunijhnuwala brothers: Krishan (2340), Naresh (2240), and Ramesh (2260). They all played for Hong Kong in the 1978 Olympiad (and separately in several other Olympiads).

Comment

More Hungarian sibling/family members

IM Anita Gara and WGM Ticia Gara(sisters)
              GM Josef Horvath and GM Csaba Horvath(brothers)
              GM Zoltan Almasi and IM Istvan Almasi(brothers)
              FM Laszlo Mihok(father) and Olivier Mihok(2450-ish son)
              Kristof Juhasz(2350) and Armin Juhasz(2200-ish) brothers
              Victor Erdos(2647) and his sister around 2200

Comment

three CAN brothers: Nikolay (~2600), Sergey (~2000), and Ivan (~1100 CFC) Noritsyns. A sister Liza (~1300) does not play these days. Are they the strongest family (by rating sum) in CAN?

more than 2 chess players in family:

Giblons family (~1400-1800) - sisters Melissa and Rebecca, and a father Andrew

Mine - me (~2200), a son (~1100), a daughter (a pawns destroyer), a wife (the best supporter, and who had real in-class chess lessons) LOL

Comment

At their peak in the 1960's, the Rubin brothers (Gerald and Robert) of Montreal would both have been in today's 2300-2400 range. A younger brother, David, played in an (adult) tournament at the age of 4. A sister, Barbara, played in some scholastic events. The father, Philip, was a Montreal TD in the late 50's and early 60's. (Gerry was playing tonight at the Cafe Pi)

Comment

The Marks family may well be on the chess radar screen to eventually become the strongest composite chess playing siblings - if only on sheer numbers (:

http://www.bennettcountyboostersd.co...world-by-storm

Comment

While on the interesting topic of chess-playing families, are there many chess-playing couples (married or otherwise)? The only one that immediately comes to mind is Canada's Nava and Sasha Starr, who have recently both played in a tournament again. Many years ago, there was Lawrence Day and his then-wife Angela- both members of Canada's Olympiad teams. Also I recall Kevin Spraggett dating another member of the Canadian women's team for a while. Internationally, there's Pia Cramling of Sweden and her Spanish GM husband, Juan Bellon- the strongest chess couple, maybe? I recall reading about other top woman players being married to competitive chess players, but the names escape me now.

Comment

Strongest Chess Playing Married Couple?

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                        While on the interesting topic of chess-playing families, are there many chess-playing couples (married or otherwise)? The only one that immediately comes to mind is Canada's Nava and Sasha Starr, who have recently both played in a tournament again. Many years ago, there was Lawrence Day and his then-wife Angela- both members of Canada's Olympiad teams. Also I recall Kevin Spraggett dating another member of the Canadian women's team for a while. Internationally, there's Pia Cramling of Sweden and her Spanish GM husband, Juan Bellon- the strongest chess couple, maybe? I recall reading about other top woman players being married to competitive chess players, but the names escape me now.
                        The strongest couple I know of (they are married) is Alexander Grischuk

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grischuk(11)6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	185620

and Natalia Zhukova.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                          While on the interesting topic of chess-playing families, are there many chess-playing couples (married or otherwise)?
                          I didn't even tell my wife I played chess until AFTER we were married. Only that I could play the game.

Before many years passed she was doing most of the secretarial work for the CCCA.

We've been married very close to 50 years and she still doesn't know how to play. Not interested.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Strongest Chess Playing Married Couple?

The late Elena Akhmilovskaya (Donaldson) - 2430 (?).
                            Her third husband Georgi Orlov - 2478.

Comment

The Kaminski's brothers are still playing chess? Do they? I haven't heard about them for a long while!

Comment

I would think the peak ratings for the three Polgar sisters would total over 7600, with GM Judit at 2700 , GM Susan in the 2550 range, and IM Sofia in the 2400 range. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X