Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 Open

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
    Umm. They alternate boards. If Canada has "White" in a given round then they will play White on boards 1 and 3, and play Black on boards 2 and 4. Hansen played Black on board 2.

Steve
    Here is the link i have with the games and scores from the Olympaid website. My mistake, alternating colors score Canada 2.5 Thailand 1.5

https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/...014open/3/44/1
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 4th August, 2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• reply? BDS likely cannot be stopped.

World opinion IS rapidly changing as the BDS campaign is growing by leaps and bounds. After all, peaceful protest is always better than violence. That's my view. It may only be a matter of time, especially given recent horrors in Gaza, that what happened to South Africa will also happen to Israel. Public opinion among young people in the USA is also changing. And young people are the future.

I mentioned up-thread (I think) that the President of the IOC is also a BDS campaigner. Look the other way if you wish.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

• Re: Visa Crisis at the 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Please keep this thread on-topic to the Olympiad. Put the politics in another thread.

Comment

• Guyanese player denied visa over terror watch list.

more Visa developments. A player from Guyana has been denied a Norwegian visa.

Local chess champion Taffin Khan has been refused a visa to travel to Norway to participate in the 41st Biennial Chess Olympiad after his name turned up on an international terrorist watch-list when his team travelled to Suriname to apply for visas.
          See Chess champ denied Norway visa over terror watch-list

This really looks like a case where a person has the same name as someone else. However, getting your name off a watch list is more difficult than getting into Kafka's famous castle.

Taffin Khan's rating is 1807 which is just under the rating of the highest rated player on their team at 1828 (A. Drayton). He is the 3-time National Chess Champion of Guyana.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 4th August, 2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Please keep this thread on-topic to the Olympiad. Put the politics in another thread.
            it would be good if you gave the same advice to other contributors on this thread. Otherwise, it might lead a person to conclude that you're simply trying to silence views you don't agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
              it would be good if you gave the same advice to other contributors on this thread. Otherwise, it might lead a person to conclude that you're simply trying to silence views you don't agree with.
              I agree that other contributor including myself should at least leave this thread restricted to the olympiad. As I said he addressed it to you because as others have said you have a tendency to pollute every thread with your politics.

Comment

• Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 Women

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                Tromso Olympiad 2014 Women

Round Three
                August 4, 2014

I had to check to see that the Starr – Pires game score was correct.

Tromso Olympiad 2014 Women
                Round Three
                Angola-Canada Match
                Board 4
                Starr, Nava (CAN) – Pires, Luzia (ANG)
                C46 Three Knights Game

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Bc5 4. Nxe5 Bxf2 5. Kxf2 Nxe5 6. d4 Qf6 7. Kg1 Ne7 8. dxe5 Qb6 0-1

Ouch!!

Preliminary pairings have the men playing Black against Venezuela tomorrow. The women play White against Slovenia.

Steve

Comment

• charming, and some advice

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                  ... you have a tendency to pollute every thread with your politics.
                  Charming as always, huh? If you don't want to address my arguments then simply ignore them.

Comment

• Re: reply? BDS likely cannot be stopped.

In this country BDS is getting registered charities reviewed by the CRA. No reason people should get tax deductions for donations supporting BDS and my taxes should pay for it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle19763308/

Coincidently, postal workers are losing their jobs to community mail boxes.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Re: 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Bator
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	BAtor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	185717

Nava (I am not sure)

Name:	nava.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	185718

Viktor

Aris

Name:	Aris.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	185719
                      Last edited by Andrei Botez; Monday, 4th August, 2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                        Ouch!!

Preliminary pairings have the men playing Black against Venezuela tomorrow. The women play White against Slovenia.

Steve
                        Jordan - Palestine might be an interesting clash for some.
                        I wonder who's boycotting who in this one ?

Otherwise, in the second round game: Sambuev's ending of B&p vs N&2p - did anyone find the truth ?
                        Someone with access to the Lomonosov ending tablebases ?
                        Or it was a loss on time ?

Comment

You'll have to ask him.

To me it looked like his opponent could have made another 50 or more moves wasting time. The match was already lost. Possibly the team captain told him to resign. It's team play.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Re: sounds like ridicule to me.

In theory I agree with you but in practice ... 1994 Olympiad in Moscow we were staying in the hotel where the event was happening so you would think arriving in time was easy, but the elevators would randomly break down. With people inside of them. Multiple times per day. They didn't like you to use the stairs, I don't know why. Just one example. I am sure it is worse now with all of the means they use to prevent terrorists and electronic devices. ;-)

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                            Zero tolerance is not a new rule and I just don't see why it continues to be a point of controversy. In every game in olympiad history, there has been a set time when if you show up after that time, you forfeit. It should make no difference if the round starts at 2 and the death time is 2 or the round starts at 2 and the death time is 3. Calling this "tragic" is ridiculous.
                            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              You'll have to ask him.

To me it looked like his opponent could have made another 50 or more moves wasting time. The match was already lost. Possibly the team captain told him to resign. It's team play.
                              It would be disappointing if you were right. And it would raise at least 2 points:

1. I understand a captain to ask a player to agree to a draw so you don't risk the team's win or draw in the match.
                              But a willful loss not. How much energy would take to shuffle pieces for another hour or so ?
                              To be sure 100% this is the case here, we have to check those tablebases.

2. The old question: should FIDE rate the Olympiad games ?
                              No - if you have to "throw" half-points here and there.
                              Some players refuse to participate for this reason.
                              But then: not rated games = no norms.

Comment

• jackboots at CRA

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                                In this country BDS is getting registered charities reviewed by the CRA.
                                Reducing poverty in Canada as a goal is also getting political reviews by the Harper jackboots at the CRA as well. I guess poverty is good for business or something.

See Use of CRA audits for political means. The article makes reference to the Harper "Enemies List" that includes anti-poverty organizations, PEN and other freedom of expression groups, organizations that investigate politically motivated audits (good to silence those ones, eh?), groups that protect the environment, and, undoubtedly, children's lunch programs will be next. By a devious use of funding, the CRA is funnelled into auditing pretty well exclusively those groups whose politics differ from the Harper regime. Just don't say the word "culture" or they might reach for something other than a pen ...
                                Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 4th August, 2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X