2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: sounds like ridicule to me.

I understand it is "just an example", but was Zero Tolerance enforced 100% in Moscow 1994 ?

And then - do you really think what happened was "tragic" ?
    I did not answer to that first time - but here it is: I am sure that in the Rwandan team there are some adults, don't you think ?
    Then, a whole team (or 3 out of 4) to be late - it is plain silly.

It costs a lot to bring these teams and players in that remote spot beyond the Arctic Circle - asking to be in time for your game is not that much.
    Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Monday, 4th August, 2014, 06:16 PM. Reason: prepositions

Comment

• Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 Women

Would it not be more likely that the moves were cropped for some reason rather than some sort of elaborate conspiracy to avoid a mildly more difficult (in theory) pairing this early in a tournament? I do agree about the norm things, though. It doesn't make sense to rate these sorts of events where a player might get say 8 out of 11 games with White.

Originally posted by Emil Smilovici View Post
      It would be disappointing if you were right. And it would raise at least 2 points:

1. I understand a captain to ask a player to agree to a draw so you don't risk the team's win or draw in the match.
      But a willful loss not. How much energy would take to shuffle pieces for another hour or so ?
      To be sure 100% this is the case here, we have to check those tablebases.

2. The old question: should FIDE rate the Olympiad games ?
      No - if you have to "throw" half-points here and there.
      Some players refuse to participate for this reason.
      But then: not rated games = no norms.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Re: jackboots at CRA

I guess if the charities are following the law they have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise they can use their money instead of my money to fund their activities.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

To be sure 100% this is the case here, we have to check those tablebases.
          What's the difference what the table bases show. The game was played without computer engines and if the player thought he was lost and resigned or lost on time, that's chess.

Losing the game may have given an easier pairing next round.

When you play on a team you have to be a team player.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Re: 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            Bator
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2036[/ATTACH]

Nava (I am not sure)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2037[/ATTACH]

Viktor
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2038[/ATTACH]

Aris
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2039[/ATTACH]
            Andrei, you are priceless for finding this picture, who's that guy photo-bombing me during the Germany-England match I was working today?! By the way, it ended 2-2, and Nigel was taking a break. The English reserve won his.

Comment

2. The old question: should FIDE rate the Olympiad games ?
              No - if you have to "throw" half-points here and there.
              Some players refuse to participate for this reason.
              But then: not rated games = no norms.
              Agreed. To rate games and offer norms in a so called "team" competition is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                You'll have to ask him.

To me it looked like his opponent could have made another 50 or more moves wasting time. The match was already lost. Possibly the team captain told him to resign. It's team play.
                Gary, among 4400 posts this one is not the smartest one. So do you really think I could advise Bator to resign, reduce our tie-break, lose 5 rating points... Please keep tell us more about your huge international experience.

In this game Bator blundered ... e3 and resigned in already lost position. Before this blunder black couldn't do anything with the extra pawn, it's just a draw.

Our performance in the first 3 round is very poor. We didn't have a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
                  In this game Bator blundered ... e3 and resigned in already lost position. Before this blunder black couldn't do anything with the extra pawn, it's just a draw.

Our performance in the first 3 round is very poor. We didn't have a good start.
                  The final position on Chessbomb does not show a king in the final position and it was assumed the game ended after the previous ply. I would assume that's why the loss was not understood.

The team won 2 out of the first 3 matches from what is being reported. I wouldn't call that very poor.

I'm 100% behind our national team and wish the players the very best.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

• Sambuev Game

Gary, among 4400 posts this one is not the smartest one. So do you really think I could advise Bator to resign, reduce our tie-break, lose 5 rating points... Please keep tell us more about your huge international experience.

What were the final moves? All we see is the Bc7 move and 0-1.

Thanks.

Comment

In this game Bator blundered ... e3 and resigned in already lost position.
                      I asked about this yesterday.

The live feed showed the final move as Bator playing Bc7. The official PGN shows the same thing. The ChessBomb coverage shows Black replying to that move with e3, magically capturing the White King.

This is why we're wondering what happened. Either moves are missing from the official PGN/feeds, or the moves shown are wrong.

Steve

Comment

Admirably put, Steve!

Comment

• Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014

Tromso Olympiad 2014

Tweets have been increasingly quoted in game write-ups in the past two years. They can be very entertaining if they have content.

Tweets concerning the first three rounds of the Olympiad are at

http://chessintweets.com/

There is a photo of 11 year-old Luzia Pires from Angola, a photo of what $50 will get you from the Tromso 7-11, a very rude sign about your cell phone, the best legs in the Olympiad, Kirsan in front of a Kasparov poster and what looks like Eric Hansen getting a haircut. I wonder what that cost?

Some interesting tidbits:

- Its funny, all Vietnamese players have the same first name – Nguyen & they won 4-0 in the 1st round.

- You know that Hikaru arrived at the Olympiad when US Captain John Donaldson ran to the store to get him Red Bull

- NRK reporting an Iraqi player left the board to get some water, told the arbiter. Returned too late and got forfeited.

- Is Aronian stoned? White to move, against MVL, he played Kd3. Totally ridiculous.

- L’Ami’s victory today was wonderfully Karpovian, which probably made it even more painful for Kamsky

- If you have the time, check the game Almasi-Yu (Hungary-China) and find out why @Unudurti tweeted: “Zoltan Almasi is the saddest man on the planet tonight”.

Comment

• Re: 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

I found more pictures with you but by far this was the best.

I am not sure if you know the older arbiter lady sitting on the right side of the picture. She was part of the team who finish on 2nd place in 4 Olympiads.

Here is a pic when she was younger.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Elisabeta.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	185720

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                              Maybe CFC should change the selection procedures for the Olympian team. Especially this rule:

iii) Have played at least 10 regular CFC rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).
                              I couldn't agree more, Rene. That number should be increased substantially. Looking at Nava's tournament record at the CFC web site, she's played a grand total of 20 CFC rated games over the past 5 years.

Moreover, to employ a selection procedure that picks a quasi retired (from chess) 65-year-old over a higher rated (CFC), far more active, 15-year-old like Jackie Peng (who played the #2 board for the 2012 Olympiad team) is absolutely preposterous. I can't even begin to imagine Jackie ever losing a game in just 8 moves to anyone, let alone an 11-year-old rated 1538 FIDE.

Coincidentally, Kevin Spraggett had posted a picture of the 11-year-old Angolan girl, Luzia Pires, on his blog the day before she became the beneficiary of Nava's misadventure.

https://kevinspraggettonchess.files....res-angola.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
                                Hmmm.. I'm in better company than I thought:

[Event "Summer op"]
                                [Site "Victoria CAN"]
                                [Date "1991.06.22"]
                                [Round "1"]
                                [White "Small, Hugh"]
                                [Black "Seedhouse, Ed"]
                                [Result "1-0"]
                                [ECO "C27"]
                                [PlyCount "15"]
                                [EventDate "1991.06.22"]
                                [EventType "swiss"]
                                [EventRounds "5"]
                                [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nxe4 4. Bxf7 Kxf7 5. Nxe4 d5 6. Qf3 Kg8 7. Ne2
                                dxe4 8. Qb3 1-0

Except at least I had the excuse of being black. A curious "mirror" game.
                                I once lost a game 1.e4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Bc4 Nxe4 4.Bxf7 Kxf7 5.Nxe4 Nc6 6.Qf3 Kg8 7.Ng5.

Curiously, there's an almost identical result possible after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 Nxe4 5.Bxf7 Ke7 6.Nxe4 Kxf7 7.Qf3 Kg8 8.Ng5, the only difference being that White's knight is on b1 instead of g1.

Comment

Working...
                                X