2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Not sure what you are implying about the GM title, but...seriously?! check the database for Bator's games, I am sure you will find many technical wins over opponents his strength. Today's game against a 2600 was level until Bator started playing for a win, in an equal position, because the team was losing.

-- canadian team fan.

Comment

Tromso Olympiad 2014 Women

You are quite right, Steve. The official result has been corrected and now it is Yuan, Yuanling – Hoang, Thi Nhu Y 0-1. I shall post the change with the game score I have already given.

Stockfish gives one possible continuation with an evaluation of -16.88 for Black:

38. d5 Rg4 39. R4b3 Rxg3 40. Rxg3 Qxc2 41. Ra1 Qxc4 42. Bf2 Qxd5 43. Kf1 Qc4 44. Kg1 Qe4 45. Kf1 Re8 46. Bxa7 Nd5 47. Bf2 Qh1

Comment

Nobody is happy about round 2 results
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd2eric.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	185715

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolay Noritsyn View Post
          Not sure what you are implying about the GM title, but...seriously?! check the database for Bator's games, I am sure you will find many technical wins over opponents his strength. Today's game against a 2600 was level until Bator started playing for a win, in an equal position, because the team was losing.

-- canadian team fan.
          Good point. I didn't realize that. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
            Tromso Olympiad 2014 Women
            Stockfish gives one possible continuation with an evaluation of -16.88 for Black:

38. d5 Rg4 39. R4b3 Rxg3 40. Rxg3 Qxc2 41. Ra1 Qxc4 42. Bf2 Qxd5 43. Kf1 Qc4 44. Kg1 Qe4 45. Kf1 Re8 46. Bxa7 Nd5 47. Bf2 Qh1
            I was watching the game until the last 2 or 3 moves and had seen the Stockfish evaluation up to that point so I was surprised when it showed up as a win. I thought maybe the live feed had hiccuped and there were missing moves where Yuanling's opponent blundered. Probably just the usual problems with recording scores in team events....

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
              Technical positions are Bator's weak point. Very odd for a GM. Raises questions how he got the GM title.
              Have you played chess in your life? Please, spare us from your nonsense posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                Have you played chess in your life? Please, spare us from your nonsense posts.
                Mr.Andy Shaw doesn't exist on the Canadian chess players rating's list!?

Comment

• Re: Visa Crisis at the 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Stacking the boards is nothing new. I suggested we do it a couple of Olympiads ago but that did not happen. I'm too lazy to look up the thread.

A smart team captain is worth his weight in gold.
                  The subject was also discussed at some length in the 'Conspicuous by their absence' thread two years ago at the 40th Olympiad, Gary. I posted the following link therein which suggests the optimum board order is 4,1,2,3 (:

http://www.danamackenzie.com/blog/?p=1662

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                    Mr.Andy Shaw doesn't exist on the Canadian chess players rating's list!?
                    Look more closely and you will find me. Andy can be short for other names. Also, names change.

If I recall, Paul Gelis wasn't always called Paul Gelis.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall a discussion with that or a similar board order.

In any case, India fielded a good team and I wouldn't read too much into this result. Tomorrow should be an easier pairing and it will give them time to get over the jet lag and used to sleeping during daylight.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
                        Tromso Olympiad 2014
                        Round Two Open
                        August 3, 2014
                        Canada – India Match

Tromso Olympiad, Round Two
                        Canada – India Match, Aug 3, 2014
                        Sambuev, Bator – Adhiban, B., Board 4
                        B23 Sicilian Closed

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 e6 3. f4 d5 4. Nf3 dxe4 5. Nxe4 Nd7 6. g3 Ngf6 7. Nxf6 Nxf6 8. Bg2 g6 9. d4 Bg7 10. dxc5 Qa5 11. c3 Qxc5 12. Qd4 Qc7 13. Be3 O-O 14. Qc5 Qb8 15. Qe5 b6 16. Qxb8 Rxb8 17. Ne5 Bb7 18. Bxb7 Rxb7 19. a4 Nd5 20. Bd2 Rc8 21. Ke2 a6 22. Rhc1 Ne7 23. Nd3 Nc6 24. Be3 Na5 25. Rd1 Nc4 26. Bf2 h5 27. Ra2 Rd8 28. b3 Na5 29. Nc1 Rc8 30. c4 Kf8 31. Rad2 Ke8 32. Rd6 Nc6 33. Na2 Bf8 34. R6d2 Na5 35. Rd3 b5 36. cxb5 axb5 37. Be1 Rc2 38. R1d2 Rxd2 39. Bxd2 Nc6 40. axb5 Rxb5 41. Kd1 f6 42. b4 e5 43. fxe5 fxe5 44. Rc3 Kd7 45. Rc4 Rd5 46. Nc3 Rd3 47. Ne4 Bxb4 48. Rxb4 Nxb4 49. Nc5 Kc6 50. Nxd3 Nxd3 51. Ke2 e4 52. h3 Kd5 53. Bc3 Ne5 54. Ba5 Nf3 55. Kf2 Ke5 56. Bd8 Kf5 57. Ke3 Ne5 58. Bc7 g5 59. Kd4 Nc6 60. Ke3 g4 61. hxg4 hxg4 62. Bd6 Ne5 63. Bc7 e3 0-1
                        Black never played 63. ... e3. The white king is on e3. The game ended after 63. Bc7. I'm a bit puzzled as to why it would end there but I'm nowhere near a strong enough player to properly evaluate the position. Stockfish on the website assessed it as equal. Both Hiarcs and Houdini on my ancient laptop assess it as roughly -.24 or essentially equal. To me it looks drawish. Even if it is a win for Black, it looks like it won't be easy. So I'm wondering why Sambuev would move and then resign unless he just didn't want to fight on any longer and wanted to save some energy.

Just wondering.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          ... and it will give them time to get over the jet lag and used to sleeping during daylight.
                          Yes, the jet lag thing is prolly still happening. The tough part about travelling to Europe is the overnight flight across the Atlantic, where unless you're in one of those elite first-class pods, it's tough to get good continuous sleep. Tonight's the first night where I feel I'm gonna get the "catch-up sleep", and the younger players should benefit even more than this old man. And about the sleeping during daylight, the irony is that it's not actually that hard to sleep during the midnight sun here, so far anyways, as the nights have also been quite overcast. Every window seems to have great shades, so that's not the challenge. What is a challenge is DECIDING WHEN TO GO TO BED, LOL. What happens with the endless daylight, is that one tends to simply keep living the day, getting to bed later than usual. It's a curious double-edged sword that I guess almost everyone has to get used to here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
                            The subject was also discussed at some length in the 'Conspicuous by their absence' thread two years ago at the 40th Olympiad, Gary. I posted the following link therein which suggests the optimum board order is 4,1,2,3 (:

http://www.danamackenzie.com/blog/?p=1662
                            that board order would be optimal only if no other teams used the same strategy. If everyone went 4,1,2,3 then the actual pairings are the same as if everyone went 1,2,3,4. So, you would need to then go 3,4,1,2 and so on ad finitum. In equilibrium, probably optimal order assuming everyone else is trying to optimize is to randomize board order.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                              Black never played 63. ... e3. The white king is on e3. The game ended after 63. Bc7. I'm a bit puzzled as to why it would end there but I'm nowhere near a strong enough player to properly evaluate the position. Stockfish on the website assessed it as equal. Both Hiarcs and Houdini on my ancient laptop assess it as roughly -.24 or essentially equal. To me it looks drawish. Even if it is a win for Black, it looks like it won't be easy. So I'm wondering why Sambuev would move and then resign unless he just didn't want to fight on any longer and wanted to save some energy.

Just wondering.

Steve
                              Thank you again, Steve. I have checked the official score and the game did indeed end with 63. Bc7. I have added a note to that effect. And, like you, I can see no good reason why Bator would not play on.

Analysts, help!

Comment

• Re: Olympiad videos over here.

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
                                Palestine has a 2311 IM playing on board 4. Pity the 1803 player on board 2.
                                It does not matter that much if all the four players lose by default.
                                Maybe THIS was a strategic move in order to avoid the Israelis!

Comment

Working...
                                X