X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capablanca Memorial 2014

Capablanca Memorial 2014

Apr 24, 2014

The 49th edition of the Tournament Capablanca in Memoriam 2014 will take place on 7-18th May at the Habana Riviera Hotel in La Havana, Cuba.

The event is organized by the Cuban Chess Federation and the Instituto Nacional de Deportes Educación Física y Recreación (INDER).

This chess festival will be played in three groups:

The Elite Group will once again be a six-player double round robin, the strongest in the history of the event.

The players are Leinier Dominguez (Cuba, winner in 2004, 2008 and 2009), Vassily Ivanchuk (Ukraine, winner in 2005-2007 and 2010-2012), Wesley So (Philippines, first participation), Francisco Vallejo (Spain, winner in 2001), Zoltan Almasi (Hungary, winner in 2013) and Lazaro Bruzon (Cuba, winner in 2002).

The Premier Group will be a 10-player round robin with other top Cuban players and guests from Peru, Italy, Canada.

The players are GM Yuniesky Quesada (Cuba), GM Emilio Cordova (Peru), GM Isan Ortiz (Cuba), GM Danyyil Dvirnyy (Italy), GM Bator Sambuev (Canada), GM Yuri Gonzalez (Cuba), GM Yusnel Bacallao (Cuba), IM Carlos Hevia (Cuba) and IM Yasser Quesada (Cuba).

The Open A Group will be played over 10 rounds of Swiss system with about 100 participants. This section is open to the players with international titles and those rated above 2300 FIDE, youth champions and the qualifiers from last year’s Open B.

Re: Capablanca Memorial 2014

No players from the land of the free and the home of the brave?
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      No players from the land of the free and the home of the brave?
      Should be the "self-proclaimed..." land of the free ...yada yada
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Interesting to see how GM Sambuev will do. Thats a strong field.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          Interesting to see how GM Sambuev will do. Thats a strong field.
          He has a very poor record against GMs... so he will more than likely not do very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
            He has a very poor record against GMs... so he will more than likely not do very well.
            Want to bet again?

Comment

Good Luck, Bator!

Does anyone know if we can follow the games live OR even see them when finished?

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                Does anyone know if we can follow the games live OR even see them when finished?
                Most likely. Might be only for the main section. TWIC provides links - official site and live - http://www.theweekinchess.com/chessn...-memorial-2014
                But I can not open them yet. Nevertheless the tournament starts on May 7th. A lot time to figure out or find new links :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
                  Want to bet again?
                  Sure, what are you thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
                    Sure, what are you thinking?
                    Same bet as for World cup. Your 5000$ vs my 100$ that I will not win this tournament. Fair enough if you say "it's more than likely".

Comment

Bator,
                      I agree that Andy Shaw opened his mouth too soon and too wide.
                      However, anyone with $5000 to gamble would not want to risk it to win only $100. He might go for an even money bet with something like - 'Bator Sambuev will not perform well enough at the tournament to gain x rating points as calculated on chess Results . com. - where x is a pre-agreed number - say 5.0 ? Or if you really want to tempt him, make x = 10.0.

In any event I, as well as many of your Canadian chess friends, will be hoping that you do well and win the tournament!

Good Luck! Bator, Play strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                        Bator,
                        I agree that Andy Shaw opened his mouth too soon and too wide.
                        However, anyone with $5000 to gamble would not want to risk it to win only $100. He might go for an even money bet with something like - 'Bator Sambuev will not perform well enough at the tournament to gain x rating points as calculated on chess Results . com. - where x is a pre-agreed number - say 5.0 ? Or if you really want to tempt him, make x = 10.0.

In any event I, as well as many of your Canadian chess friends, will be hoping that you do well and win the tournament!

Good Luck! Bator, Play strong!
                        Thank you Vlad!
                        I was always sure that a man has to be responsible for his words. He is sure that I cannot compete with GM's. Prove it and make easy money! In other case - keep your mouth closed and maybe people will think that there is something in your empty head. Money talks...

Comment

Originally posted by Bator Sambuev View Post
                          Thank you Vlad!
                          I was always sure that a man has to be responsible for his words. He is sure that I cannot compete with GM's. Prove it and make easy money! In other case - keep your mouth closed and maybe people will think that there is something in your empty head. Money talks...
                          Good luck Bator. I would recommend not paying attention to whatever predictions people make when those people are not GMs (or even close).
                          Every year I predict the Toronto Maple Leafs will rise from the ashes and it seems I am not a very good hockey player (or predictor)...
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

websites for/internet connectivity for Capablanca Memorial 2014

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            Most likely. Might be only for the main section. TWIC provides links - official site and live - http://www.theweekinchess.com/chessn...-memorial-2014
                            But I can not open them yet. Nevertheless the tournament starts on May 7th. A lot time to figure out or find new links :)
                            Cuban internet connectivity has a number of problems and, in general, getting information out is more difficult than getting information in. The US government has been carrying out an undeclared war on that little country since 1962. This includes, most recently, subversive twitter arrangements in which weather reports and baseball scores are followed by US political propaganda.

See US agency that created “Cuban Twitter” faces political firestorm

The other thing is that plenty of ISPs carry out US policy "voluntarily" and sabotage access to Cuban websites. Not quite sure how "voluntary" such policy is.

Even with some recent help constructing undersea fiber optic cables, Cuban access on the other side is pretty poor. Remember dial-up? That's about as good as most can get, if that. That's why, incidently, the US spy Twitter thing was such a big deal; most Cubans get access through phones and so on.

Looking for or finding new links is a good idea. If one site is blocked by by over-enthusiastic cold warriors, or bad service, another might be accessible.

For more info, see

How the US keeps Cuba offline

Submarine internet to Cuba activated or not?

links ...

ChessDom for 2014 Capablanca Memorial

Alexandra Kosteniuk already has 2 stories on the event on her blog.

and, if your Spanish is good, from the University of Havana ...

Soy periodista y profesor de Periodismo Hipermedia en la Facultad de Comunicación de la Universidad de La Habana

The following link is now working but only has the 2013 information AFAIK ...

Official Web Site for 2014 Capablanca Memorial
                            Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Monday, 28th April, 2014, 10:28 AM. Reason: add more links, d'uh!
                            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Every year I predict the Toronto Maple Leafs will rise from the ashes and it seems I am not a very good hockey player (or predictor)...
                              When I watched the Leafs win their last Stanley Cup I never considered it might be the last one I'd see them win. While it was fun, watching the Canada - Russia hockey series was more exciting.

The Raptors are playing some exciting basketball these days. Fun to watch.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X