FIDE Election for President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary: hire a new campaign team in Canada.

I am pretty much in a win-win situation here no matter how things play out in the end. If my detractors succeed in replacing me then I immediately go back to being a private citizen and no longer am called upon to do many hours of unpaid work on behalf of the CFC. Many of those hours will be replaced in being able to devote more time to Windsor junior chess which is unfolding very nicely. The new directors can take the credit for the improved membership numbers among Windsor juniors. I won't even mind.

With respect to the GK campaign team -with the notable exception of Ruth Haring, USCF president- you have not respected the Canadian Chess Federation executive and have at each step behaved offensively and disrespectfully. Your actions have been sneaky and undemocratic. You turned an ally into an opponent. I dread the consequences for Canadian chess and world chess if you succeed in your aims.

The GK campaign is being run in an absurd manner. At one point the executive was threatened with the intervention of U.S. President Barrack Obama?!

Here was my email response to some of the members of our team. Dated April 15th, 2014:

What are they going to do? Send in a drone strike to take out all the CFC command and control centers? Will we be added to watch lists? I would say it was an April Fool's joke but its a bit late in the month.

Tell them to send in Obama. I would like to talk to him about his green energy program.

This confirms my misgivings about Kasparov's candidacy even though as I said before I was leaning towards him at the first discussion.

We had better get the NFP process done before our terms expire. This could get interesting in an unpleasant way.

Vlad
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 18th May, 2014, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• Re: Gary: hire a new campaign team in Canada.

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I am pretty much in a win-win situation here no matter how things play out in the end. If my detractors succeed in replacing me then I immediately go back to being a private citizen and no longer am called upon to do many hours of unpaid work on behalf of the CFC. Many of those hours will be replaced in being able to devote more time to Windsor junior chess which is unfolding very nicely. The new directors can take the credit for the improved membership numbers among Windsor juniors. I won't even mind.

With respect to the GK campaign team -with the notable exception of Ruth Haring, USCF president- you have not respected the Canadian Chess Federation executive and have at each step behaved offensively and disrespectfully. Your actions have been sneaky and undemocratic. You turned an ally into an opponent. I dread the consequences for Canadian chess and world chess if you succeed in your aims.

The GK campaign is being run in an absurd manner. At one point the executive was threatened with the intervention of U.S. President Barrack Obama?!

Here was my email response to some of the members of our team. Dated April 15th, 2014:

What are they going to do? Send in a drone strike to take out all the CFC command and control centers? Will we be added to watch lists? I would say it was an April Fool's joke but its a bit late in the month.

Tell them to send in Obama. I would like to talk to him about his green energy program.

This confirms my misgivings about Kasparov's candidacy even though as I said before I was leaning towards him at the first discussion.

We had better get the NFP process done before our terms expire. This could get interesting in an unpleasant way.

Vlad
      Yes, I've heard the story that our President was leaning towards GK, but then he's done due dilligence and uncovered some horrible stories about Salov's issue, etc., and it is not amuzing anymore. One must have jumped with a joy when GK announced his bid to become FIDE's President and to endorse him at the first opportunity. He's failed to do it, and now is going against result of his own poll. However we are informed about sneaky and undemocratic actions. What are they?

Comment

Vlad
        Please tell us more about your "win-win cituation". You've explained about a joy of teaching your students, stop doing unpaid work, etc. And what is your win if your detractors will fail and you'll remain a President with a long unpaid hours job? Where is your win?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha Starr View Post
          Please tell us more about your "win-win cituation". You've explained about a joy of teaching your students, stop doing unpaid work, etc. And what is your win if your detractors will fail and you'll remain a President with a long unpaid hours job? Where is your win?
          I get to continue to help build a rules and principles based CFC where the job of the executive is not to prevent a little girl from playing chess if she wants to but rather to facilitate her being able to play. Oddly enough its a sea change that many people have thanked me for though it is simply allowing common sense instead of ego to dominate our decisions.

I understand the frustration with the Pan Am Youth tournament and its shifting dates. The tournament is dead to me now but I will never take that out on the participants or Canadian kids that want to play there and then later play at the World Youth Chess Championship for example. We should not model the CFC executive on the Dilbert character Mordac the preventer of IT services and try to prevent kids from playing if they want to.

http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Mord...he%20Preventer

I'm a bit disappointed no one called me a liar over the Obama thing. I guess its an obvious opening trap.

Comment

I get to continue to help build a rules and principles based CFC where the job of the executive is not to prevent a little girl from playing chess if she wants to but rather to facilitate her being able to play.

What I'm surprised you don't get is that a "principles based CFC" and being able to facilitate a little girl being able to play chess if she wants to are far too often at loggerheads with each other, especially now in the Drkulec era.

The principles based CFC is the CFC that shoos away a potential sponsor of that little girl's future trip to some youth tournament, because that sponsor didn't meet the "principles". You see, kiddies, the CFC is IN DEMAND, sponsors are lining up around the block to invest, and the CFC can pick and choose which sponsors to accept and which to reject, all on the basis of the CFC's "principles". And what are those principles? I guess it all starts with not offending Vlad Drkulec's ego. You do that, and you're outta there! Don't worry, little girl! We'll get somebody else... someday.

Vlad, I totally get and respect that you are unpaid and work long hours for the CFC. All well and good. But you have to learn that that fact alone does not convey on you dictatorship powers. Your ego must not come before a little girl's trip to a youth chess event that could expand her knowledge and appreciation for chess. There are indeed some principles that we could all agree should come before acceptance of sponsorship money. But those principles should have to do with morality, with justice, with the things that Canadians by vast majority agree need to be upheld. Your ego isn't one of them. Your mistaken impression of someone making "impossible demands" that you cannot back up with actual statements from the sponsor isn't one of them. Your inability to say you made a mistake isn't one of them.

For the sake of all those little girls and boys and for the sake of the CFC, I ask you to contact Sid and apologize and ask for a reset. And to show I'm not asking this for some ulterior motive, I hereby state I rescind my offer for and will not accept any investment in my corporate venture from Sid nor any of his partners or associates.

Just do the right thing. Not that it matters to you, but I will thoroughly admire you if you do.

And please don't lump me in with people who want you to vote for GK for FIDE President, that's not what my postings in this thread are about.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed no one called me a liar over the Obama thing. I guess its an obvious opening trap.
              I directed correspondence chess tournaments for the ICCF and got complaints from upset players around the world. So I didn't doubt what you wrote. :D

The only thing I wondered is who told you that?
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

However we are informed about sneaky and undemocratic actions. What are they?
                I am aware of shenanigans in England, Canada, Tunisa, the Philippines, Singapore, with additional indications that Kasparov is directly approaching government and military leaders in various African countries who are then trying to impose on the chess federations. This has not gone over well in every instance and has predictably turned off some of the chess federation officials.

Comment

• Re: FIDE Election for President

Paul, nice try. Sponsorship for that girl's trip was never on the table in this case. In all interactions it is a good idea to know your outcome, that is what you would like to obtain or could reasonably expect to obtain out of the interaction. Sometimes it is as simple as getting to know someone better so that you can later work towards common interests. Other times it might simply to find out what they want from you, how you can help them and whether you should help them.

Sid's outcome was a nomination from Canada, an endorsement and a vote for Gary Kasparov in the FIDE election. My outcome was to obtain information in order to make an informed decision of who to support in the FIDE presidential campaign. With a different approach it is possible that Sid could have achieved his outcome.

Comment

I am aware of shenanigans in England, Canada, Tunisa, the Philippines, Singapore, with additional indications that Kasparov is directly approaching government and military leaders in various African countries who are then trying to impose on the chess federations. This has not gone over well in every instance and has predictably turned off some of the chess federation officials.
                    Is this part of your due dilligence? Be prepared to substantiate these rumors. Btw, have you ever heard about KI using Russian Embassies and Consulates arond the World in his campain?

Comment

Is this part of your due dilligence? Be prepared to substantiate these rumors. Btw, have you ever heard about KI using Russian Embassies and Consulates arond the World in his campain?
                      No actually I suddenly seem to be a magnet for emails though I was aware of some of the concerns before.

If I was running for FIDE president I would likely use the help of Canadian embassies and consulates around the world so I am not sure of the significance of the point that you are trying to make.

Comment

I will endorse Garry Kasparov but only under the following conditions: He must come back to competitive chess and start playing the Kings Indian Defense again. These terms are not negotiable.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                          I will endorse Garry Kasparov but only under the following conditions: He must come back to competitive chess and start playing the Kings Indian Defense again. These terms are not negotiable.

Thank you.
                          Perhaps I should have used this type of approach myself. It appears to be in vogue.

Comment

Thank you.
                            Second part of the condition isn't so important. First one is enough.

Comment

Thank you.
                              Any conditions for KI's endorsement?

Comment

Any conditions for KI's endorsement?
                                A match with aliens LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X