Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Suggestion for future CYCC/Canadian Opens held back-to-back:

If the option is given for free Canadian Open entries to CYCC players, have them put up a small deposit (e.g. $25) which will be returned after they show up for round 1. This would have eliminated the large number of "no shows".

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      Suggestion for future CYCC/Canadian Opens held back-to-back:

If the option is given for free Canadian Open entries to CYCC players, have them put up a small deposit (e.g. $25) which will be returned after they show up for round 1. This would have eliminated the large number of "no shows".
      Very good point. When something is 'free', people start to behave irrationally. Like saying 'yes I will play in that free tournament' even though they're not interested.

Comment

A true registration should filter no-shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
          Bob,
          This should never have happened, and we will try to see why it did. We had a similar case with another player, but it turns out he played his game with the wrong colours (and his opponent didn't realize either...). In your case, it is likely that you had black twice in a row and that there was an error in the manual pairings for the third round (doing manual pairings for over 100 players on Excel is quite a challenge).

We now have the whole day to correct all the problems. We are really sorry for all the issues. We were expecting about 350 players and, while we were busy with the CYCC, a lot of registrations started coming in... In fact, we received about 75 registrations in the 12 hours before the tournament!
          Last time I checked we had 421 players. The last time that a Canadian Open had that many players was in 1974 (in Montreal), so we were definitely not ready for that. That said, everything should go much more smoothly now that there is only one round per day.

I will try to post more details about the first few rounds of the tournament tonight, as well as some information about the simul GM Bluvshtein gave at the Complexe Desjardins (which attracted quite a few news media).
          With respect Felix. All this should have been fixed after the first round. This is such a major tournamnet and FQEs reputation is on the line the organizer should have stayed overnight to nip all the problems in the bud after the first round. This is certainly how it would have been handled if it had been in the private sector. I think rather than posting superfluous information your top priority should be fixing the parings issues. Run some simulations of future rounds to see if there are potential problems. Call players to verify results if they've been lost or corrupted. Reach out for more expertise and support if needed!!

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

The organizers did stay overnight after the first round (and the night before and the one after, for what its worth) to solve the problems and the arbiters left shortly before sunrise (so they could get at least 3 hours sleep). I post here on Chesstalk, but during that time our qualified arbiters are indeed doing new pairings on a new software (see Richard's post at 4 AM this morning).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

I sympathize with you. I can remember one time I was pairing a Canadian Open correspondence championship and there were over 400 entrants. I had cards for all the players. No computers back then. By around 3 AM in the morning I couldn't get the pairings for my sections to work and I was tired.

Have you ever seen 400 pairing cards hit a wall?

The next day I got it to work out.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I get the sense there is some insecurity on the part of the organizers that is preventing them from fully disclosing all the data to see what is going on. If they did they could crowd source using a forum such as this to get ideas / help in fixing the issues. It really shouldn't be that hard. Somebody in this thread asked for the chess manager files and it was conspicuously ignored.
                Last edited by Dan Alistair; Tuesday, 22nd July, 2014, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Dan Alistair View Post
                  Does anyone know if arbiters are paid or its voluntary or its paid but just a small fee rather than like an actual job ?. There are so many arbiters/ organizers involved in a tournament such as this, it doesn't seem like they would have enough to cover paying everybody.
                  It is a mix of both. Organizers are usually not paid and do not claim expenses (which are pretty high for a tournament like this). Most arbiters are paid, although it is definitely not enough for a full-time job. In all cases, all the people in our team do it for the love of the game, not for money :)

So, yes, the arbiters were not paid to stay at the hotel doing the pairings until 5 AM, but they still did it. We do our best to have the pairings out as soon as possible, even with all the issues we had.

That said, I know people like to focus on what is not going well, but this is only one section. The remaining 325 players have their pairings posted very quickly and have plenty of time to prepare... This is already much better than many tournaments. Many major tournaments in the USA do not publish pairings in advance and are 2 or 3 rounds behind on their website...
                  Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 22nd July, 2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                    That said, I know people like to focus on what is not going well, but this is only one section. The remaining 325 players have their pairings posted very quickly and have plenty of time to prepare...
                    What else can chesstalkers do? Only one Bob Blogger :)

Comment

Somebody in this thread asked for the chess manager files and it was conspicuously ignored.
                      It was me :)
                      Really the files are online. E.g. for U2400: at http://chess-results.com/tnr140543.a...821&turdet=YES Pairing program: Swiss-Manager from Heinz Herzog, Swiss-Manager tournamentfile

Section C is on chess-results again.

Comment

It really shouldn't be that hard.
                        In a perfect world you have a point. It looks to me, from here in downtown Pickering, like there are a lot of players, they are trying to get the pairing right, and in one section they are having a problem. It happens.

I used to work with a man who, when something went wrong, he'd look at me and say "Do you think I planned it that way?".
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          "Do you think I planned it that way?".
                          It does not hurt to think before the event what can go wrong and how to prevent that. It sounded to me that involved people organized not one but many tournaments and experienced all kind of weird situations. They needed to multiply that by 3 or 4 for this CO.

I would like to hear how they deal with the newest FIDE invention in the rules: no phones in the playing area.

Comment

Yes, section C results were posted only after 4 rounds. And in the round 4 pairings there were many playing the min-coq who were paired, and some who were taking a bye paired. At least one player who was paired on two different boards!! And he ended by withdrawing because the arbiter wouldn't give him the time he lost sitting on the wrong board. Result: many more full point byes. If they had posted just the crosstable after rounds 1 or 2 (no need for it be on chess-results) there would've been fewer mistakes. For example, as a result of todays posting of pairings on Chesstalk by Felix the organizers have been notified of at least two mistakes. I understand the arbiters have a tough job, I'm just making suggestions that are hopefully helpful.

I'm also thinking, as a result of the many full point byes given out, this essentially reduces the tournament (section c) to a 5 round swiss.

Comment

Re: Canadian Open - Section C Problems

Originally posted by Roman Sarrazin Gendron View Post
                              We will try to get the results and pairings for section C U2000 out for tomorrow. It's a combination of human and technological issues. The chief arbiter of the tournament, IA Pierre Dénommée.
                              Judging from past interactions, its not a shock that an event involving Pierre would have problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X